The last DVD you watched? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to watch Tropic Thunder tonight but as much as I love Ben Stiller and Jack Black, I just couldn't get into it :D

I'm with you I watched about 20 minutes and turned it off. Was really dissapointed.

My fella told me that he bought Twilight on DVD for when I come over. he said he was mightly embarrassed taking it to the checkout hahaha. He said he kept emphasising it was for the OH, and that he thinks that they now think that "I love the books and films that much or I am a closet gay, as I was constantly refering to my girlfriend all the time". :D

I'm with you I watched about 20 minutes and turned it off. Was really dissapointed.

My fella told me that he bought Twilight on DVD for when I come over. he said he was mightly embarrassed taking it to the checkout hahaha. He said he kept emphasising it was for the OH, and that he thinks that they now think that "I love the books and films that much or I am a closet gay, as I was constantly refering to my girlfriend all the time". :D

:) How thoughtful of him though, to bruise his ego just for you :D

Yeah I think I got to about 30 mins of Tropic Thunder and gave up. I will try ago in the future though, I don't like to leave films half finished.

The Man in the Iron Mask. I love this movie, in spite of Leonardo DiCaprio.
Agreed. I was dragged to see this at the cinema by a friend who used to drag me to see all Leo films when they came out; this is the one I actually enjoyed.

We've just finished watching What Dreams May Come :D:cry2::D!

this movie tore my insides apart. I know exactly how you feel. I will have to get my boyfriend to watch this with me sometime, as he has never seen it.
Mine had never seen it either - and, he that usually comments on films I rave and rant about with the words "it was ok", asked in puzzlement "why have I never heard of this film before"? Because it's a vastly underrated gem of a film, that's why. 6.6/10 (according to IMDB) my bum!

What did you think of it? Wasn't it beautiful?? Swoon! <3

It was, but I'm still unsure about the two things (book and movie) because neither seemed to be sure of where it was going and in the end went in different directions.

In the movie,

it tied up well because it suggested that Vermeer was still alive (you'd have no reason to think otherwise) and he had the earrings sent to her as a sort of apology or good wish because he couldn't turn around and keep her in the house. He couldn't really have cared for her anymore than in the book (not more than as a subject) because he's happy to make her wear the earring.

But in the book,

Griet comes to accept that he never cared for her beyond painting her, and even if he did it wasn't enough to change the painting and it wasn't shown til ten years later when she was already off living her life with Pieter.

And the rest of the time,

it often wasn't clear whether Van Ruijven or Catharina was the bigger threat, they saved Griet from Van Ruijven for Vermeer to force her to do something so stupid as wear those earrings.

But other than that, I actually loved reading the book and watching the movie, even if by the end of both I was kind of going 'huh?'

Oh wow, your post made me realise I don't remember much about the book or the movie, plotwise anyway. Well it's been years since I read the book or saw the movie so that's my excuse. I mostly remember the feel of the movie, the anticipation.

It took a long time before Vermeer and Griet actually started to talk and work together on the painting or well, anything. Well I suppose the movie was mostly about Colin Firth for me :D

Glad you enjoyed the movie and the book! :D

I definately think the film took a better spin on it than the book, the book was obviously more drawn out by virtue of being a book, so it was easier for it to ramble.

But yeah, both were immensely enjoyable (I may well not have bothered with the movie if not for Colin - gosh long hair is gorgeous on him! and I can't wait to read more by that author.

Just watched Twilight.

Bella is exactly how I read her in the book. Great casting. I kept laughing at bits I remembered from the book.

I think my OH liked iteven though he won't admit it. :D

It was a surprise, as really I wanted to read breaking dawn first. But i couldn't complained he really made an effort.

Now we are going to watch Shaun of the Dead.

The Last King, The Power and The Passion of Charles II with Ian McDiarmind

It was factual as far as I could tell, although so much was left out, it seemed to only skim the surface of his life.