Terry Goodkind.. good or bad books?

BooksForLunch

I know that some time ago, someone open a thread about him.

But, I would like to open a new one.

This author as the most wicked mind I found in books,everything that happen in his books are wild and enormous.

He even manage to put a little something to make us think and remember some events that happen in history.

He wrote a series of 11 books and 1 extra story.

He now start a new trilogy (I think).

I would like to know who share my opinion and who believe the contrary.

Thanks. ^.^

I've been a fan of TG for only a couple of years. I'd just finished the Shannara series by Terry Brooks (as far as it had been written to at that point), and was desperately looking for something else to read. Unfortunately, everything I looked into couldn't hold me for more than a few chapters.

And then I randomly selected Phantom by TG from the store. Despite having skipped the first 9 books in the series and having no preconceptions on the storyline, I found myself completely captivated. Two days later I returned to the store and bought the entire series (much to the dismay of my bank manager :D).

One of the things I enjoyed most, and still enjoy now after rereading each book from the series about 4 or 5 times, is the way he uses controversial issues to send his point home. The Wizards' Rules I thought were an amazing concept, with each and every one of them being true to life in some form or another.

Furthermore each of the main characters, and some of the lesser, are so entirely loveable, particularly Kahlan, Zedd and Richard (although here I'm reluctant to forget little Rachel, Giller and Chase). And even now, after so many rereads, I still get angry, or cry, or sit on the edge of the chair absolutely terrified!

Absolutely fantastic author, and I am looking forward to reading his new standalone, as soon as my bank balance recovers from my latest book spree!

Kreader - Zedd, short for Zeddicus Z'ul Zorander. If you liked the first ones, you'll like the last ones, they're very fast-paced. Easily you could skip from Faith of the Fallen to Naked Empire, and then read Chainfire, Phantom and Confessor. These three are almost a trilogy within the epic, and quite possibly the best three aside from Wizard's First Rule. :D

Kreader - Zedd, short for Zeddicus Z'ul Zorander. If you liked the first ones, you'll like the last ones, they're very fast-paced. Easily you could skip from Faith of the Fallen to Naked Empire, and then read Chainfire, Phantom and Confessor. These three are almost a trilogy within the epic, and quite possibly the best three aside from Wizard's First Rule. :irked:

Thanks, I'll try that:)

No probs Kreader. I think it was at about Pillars of Creation that I nearly lost hope, but as I'd read Phantom before I even read Wizard's First Rule (random grab off the store shelf) I knew the last ones would be fab, so carried on reading the middle ones just in case I missed anything relevant to the end of the epic.

I've just read that back to myself, both in my head and outloud, and on neither attempt did it seem much more than verbal diarrhoea, so I'm hoping you can make some sort of sense out of it. If it carries on I might create my own thread up in General and settle for the title of "Vanlish - a Beginner's Guide To"...

Well, I loved Wizard's First Rule.

...but the other books in the Sword of Truth series totally ruined my opinion of Terry Goodkind's writing, for three reasons:

1. He writes at a p-a-i-n-f-u-l-l-y s-l-o-w p-a-c-e.

2. Richard is one of the most annoying characters I have read in any book, ever. (It's the whole: "I'm perfect, you're not, therefore I will kill you and not bother listening to anything you have to say" attitude.)

3. The way he repeats things in every similar scene of every book. For instance, every time Richard and Kahlan have a romantic scene together, Kahlan moans all over the place, which makes me think she has the flu or something, and it's *really* annoying. Argh.

4. Goodkind has this thing about inflicting rape or attempted rape on his female characters. This is... disturbing, at the rate it happens in his books.

But yes, Book One was good. I wouldn't bother with the rest, though.

We'll have to agree to disagree I think Skylark!

1. IMO the pace wasn't at all slow.

2. Richard's attitude is nothing like that at all. It says repeatedly through the series that he resents having to kill, and that he does so only because he must. Even when he kills people he loves, he does so only because he has to.

3. Kahlan's "moaning all over the place" is in the beginning to demonstrate

her pain that she can't be with him because her power might kill him. Later on her distress should be understandable over the fact that she's denied the right to a child with him, then that she loses the baby she concieves, that she is beaten to a pulp, that Shota is always interfering in their relationship, that she is forced to sleep with someone other than the man she loves in order to prevent the end of the world etc etc

I think I would be a bit miffed.

4. As far as the rape and torture of women go, he has to give a background to the Mord Sith. Also note that its not restricted only to the women

Richard himself suffers through pages of torture, and rape also if you read the parts with Denna (Mord-Sith

. I don't believe that Goodkind has done this for perverse reasons, but merely to tackle various controversial issues. This he also does with the wizards' rules. Another note on the suffering of women in his epic, take a look at the Sisters of the Light and their

treatment of young wizards, ripping them away from their families at young ages and restricting them not only in their magical use but in their behaviour by use of the collar.

Women are also given a strong sense of character with the Sisters' use of dacras, Mord Siths' use of Agiels, the power of the Confessors. In these books, men suffer equally to the women.

I think that Goodkind chose war, rape, torture, and murder as the issues he wanted to tackle with this epic. Many authors also do this, even from other genres (sorry to cross-genre here :D). For instance, Patricia Cornwell in her Scarpetta novels:

most often the victims of murder in these novels are women who have been tortured and raped, and we get to know horrific details of these events

. And back to the fantasy genre JV Jones does it in her Book of Words series:

look at the way Melliandra and some of the servants suffer at the hands of Prince Kylock, and the near rape of Melliandra by Baralis' men.

Maybe something to consider; the fact that Goodkind writes about these issues as frequently as he does in this series and as graphically is perhaps that he is prepared to tackle something in this kind of depth that many authors shy away from. In other words, he does not feel the PC pressure we often feel when expressing ourselves, our beliefs and attitudes. At no point through the series does he morally condone any of these crimes, but in fact condemns them at every opportunity.

Also note that in almost every war through history there have been instances where women have suffered, been raped and tortured. And frequently at that. Considering the medieval timesetting, these things would have alarmingly occurred all the time. It's simply that Goodkind isn't afraid to highlight it.

Just my tuppence' worth :D

Hello

I'm partway through the Sword of Truth series (last book I read was Faith of the Fallen...think the next one is The Pillars of Creation)

I agree with lots of the things people have said on here, I've really enjoyed most of the books but sometimes the way he writes does drive me crazy! My main complaints are

#1 he seems to assume that all of his readers suffer from amnesia and have to be constantly reminded (in a very heavy handed way!) of what happened in all of the previous books (now don't get me wrong, I like a quick refresher especially if it's been a while since I read the last book, but he goes a bit overboard sometimes!)

#2 not sure if this is a spoiler so I'll use the thingy just in case

too many of the books are resolved at the end by Richard suddenly doing a bit of magic that even he doesn't understand...this just seems like a bit of a cop-out to me

#3 sometimes there are just a few too many fantasy cliches, and I also find that he can get a bit moralistic and sickly sentimental!

Having said that....I've now read 6 of these not inconsiderable volumes so he must be doing something right! At the end of the day, minor niggles aside, Terry Goodking writes exciting, easy to read fantasy! I find that with his books things never pan out exactly how I expect them to and there have been several moments in his books when I have been genuinely SHOCKED by what has happened....don't you love it when that happens?

#2 not sure if this is a spoiler so I'll use the thingy just in case

too many of the books are resolved at the end by Richard suddenly doing a bit of magic that even he doesn't understand...this just seems like a bit of a cop-out to me

It is a spoiler because

In the first book, Richard doesn't know he's a wizard, and throughout the books Richard refuses to believe he is a wizard/ denies that he has any knowledge of magic

I do love it when that happens.

I know that Goodkind does repeat in the next book certain instances from the previous, but personally I am grateful for that. I started the series at Phantom, then Confessor, and then went to the beginning of the series and read it through. Without the hints of what had gone before I would have been at a complete loss with Phantom and Confessor!

As a reader I think we have to appreciate that Goodkind allows for someone to pick up on the story without having read all 11 books.

If you've gotten this far, bear with it for a couple more and the final three are simply fantastic (Chainfire, Phantom, Confessor).

However, bear in mind that Pillars of Creation may be a slightly different read than the others, don't let it put you off of the rest because just for this one book.

Goodkind comes away from Richard and Kahlan completely and writes from the viewpoint of a brand new character. You barely see anything of Richard and Kahlan in this book.

It's only a teeny weeny spoiler by the way, and won't ruin the book for you (or shouldn't at any rate). I've left out all the important stuff :D

Keep enjoying!

Sorry yes you're right about the spoiler! I guess when you read a book a long time ago you forgot all the things you don't know at the beginning! Sorry about that!

I will definately continue with the series, and thanks for the info about the next book!

• 4 months later...

I like his books, well some of his books. Until he discovered Ayn Rand and decided to worship her and claim he was not writing Fantasy but writing something to change the world and that all fantasy was ****.

Then again, what does a writer's character have to do with the book? Well nothing until he started littering the books with philosophy no one cares for. Well, not most people reading it for wanting a new fantasy series anyway.

And then there's the comedy he definitely did not expect to put in the book.

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose.

Kahlan pulled back.

Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway.

"Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper.

There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot. But she didn't need to see it.

"Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath.

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

This was evil manifest.

Priceless.

Overland Park, KS: How many more books will there be in the Sword Of Truth series?

Terry Goodkind: The answer to that is there will be one less than too many.

Orem Utah: What do you think distinguishes your books from all of the other fantasy books out there, and why should readers choose to read your series?

Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes. They have elements of romance, history, adventure, mystery and philosophy. Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.

Haddonfield, NJ: Second Question - I've noticed similarities between your Sword of Truth series and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...(Black Sisterhood vs. Black Ajah; The Order vs. The Seanchan; Richard vs. Rand both discovering their powers, both have Nameless evil Gods...etc.) I've often voiced my suspicion that these two series might be occurring on the same world...how crazy am I?

Terry Goodkind: If you notice a similarity, then you probably aren't old enough to read my books.

Just a sample of his views

It appears that even in my 40s I am not old enough to read Goodkind's books, and you have got to love the evil chicken

Edited by Vladd

Hey guys im new to this site, anywho ive been reading the sword of truth series and absolutely loving it. Im just about to finish book 4: Temple of the winds. So far the last 200 pages of each book have been absolutely enthralling, with no hope of going to bed until the book is finished. However, i do read 1 or 2 books in between each book of the series just to keep me interested and so i dont get bored of it.

There is a good reason I don't like to read interviews that some authors give...

Terry Goodkind: There are several things. First of all, I don't write fantasy.

Yes. Yes you do.

It is almost as if he's ashamed of the fact that he's gone out and written novels within a big fantasy world.

Hey guys im new to this site, anywho ive been reading the sword of truth series and absolutely loving it. Im just about to finish book 4: Temple of the winds. So far the last 200 pages of each book have been absolutely enthralling, with no hope of going to bed until the book is finished. However, i do read 1 or 2 books in between each book of the series just to keep me interested and so i dont get bored of it.

Stop right there and imagine he hasn't written any more books.

PS: Hello.

Yeah... Terry Goodkind seems to think he's writing a new religious text. What with Richard getting tortured every book or so... He could start a new religion. Maybe Rahlism.

I am never going to finish reading his series... That plagiarist is not worth it.

:) Anyone here from the Dragonmount Forums? I remember that those guys go red when Goofkind is mentioned.

Edited by vinay87

It does seem that Goodkind is the Marmite of the fantasy, sorry 'stories that have important human themes' world. In fact some of his more obsessive fans seem to regard him as a prophet of a new religion.