Looking for book about magical, underground London.

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite books, but I once read something similar (and just as good) when I was about 8-12 years old (approx 12 years ago), also about a magical hidden place in London. I think it was also underground.

I'd love to find this book again, but don't know either the title or the author. The only other thing I can remember about it was that there was a brick wall in the story that was somehow significant. (Perhaps it was knocked down? I'm not sure.)

Especially since this is a UK-based site, I'm hoping that someone will recognise the book I'm talking about - though I'm a bit worried that it's too old and obscure for people to know. I'd love to read it again!

lovesreading06 - read them. Neither of those are the book I want. Also, too recent.

Zolio - read it. Not the book I want. Also, waaaaay too recent.

BookJumper - read most of them (though not all). Again, too recent.

I'm looking for something that's almost certainly pre-1997, probably older.

I think the main characters were a boy and a girl, but I'm not sure.

I know it's not the book you're looking for Skylark, but Drood by Dan Simmons is based in dickensian London, and is primarily concerned with a strange underground cult.

Although it's not magical as such, it has great mystery and a strong supernatural bent.

sdeangelo - I don't recall any fairies in the story, but that doesn't mean they weren't there. I read it a very long time ago. Hmmm.

Chrissy - I'll have a look into those! I don't recognise the series, but you never know. Thanks for the tip!

Pablo - I've heard of Drood, and thought it looked interesting. I'm waiting for it to come out at the local library, since I'm rather broke at the moment. :D