What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

Charm, I hope you get your runaway, cowardly Mr Mojo back soon

Well, I didn't even get to Lappeenranta before I bought a book on this trip I went to a secondhand bookshop on my way to the train station and bought Fannie Flagg's Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!.

thank you frankie :hug: I hope it comes back soon too, all in all I've managed to read 5 pages today :)

Jeez you manage to buy books even before your destination! :D good call! Such a great author name and title for that book you bought! I hope it's as good as it sounds! :)

Charm, I think you'll love The Time Traveller's Wife! I'm about 1/2 way through uit, but haven't picked it (or anything else for that matter) up in over a week. Until our Budget is approved at work I am too busy & too tired to read anything!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it :irked: I hope you get well rested and get some reading done soon :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am halfway through A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, its really good, very quirky, very different :D

Rumo by Walter Moers

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

I have the first book in the series, The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers, which I am looking forward to reading. :D

Huggles for Charm 5.gif

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers

I begun this some time ago and, even though life-the-universe-&-everything sidetracked me, I must say that (along with Jasper Fforde's "The Well of Lost Plots") it's the book I'm most looking forward to picking up again. It's absolutely brilliant, the best way I can describe it is like a Thursday Next book for kiddies. Praise doesn't get much higher than that - you'll love it :D:friends0:!

I begun this some time ago and, even though life-the-universe-&-everything sidetracked me, I must say that (along with Jasper Fforde's "The Well of Lost Plots") it's the book I'm most looking forward to picking up again. It's absolutely brilliant, the best way I can describe it is like a Thursday Next book for kiddies. Praise doesn't get much higher than that - you'll love it :D:friends0:!

Brilliant, thanks for telling me Giulia :D

I just had to find out what all this fuss was about. I have Twilight to read first, I am going to be all Vamped out. I am not used to all these sorts of books :irked:

It's okay, catwoman, we are here for you! Many of us support being 'vamped out,' so you will have many friends surrounding you! :)

Ooooh what you said about The City of Dreaming Books intrigues me, BookJumper! I have now added it to my wishlist :D.

I am a waffler today. I've decided to instead read The Struggle by PC Cast and save Leeway Cottage for next. Maybe I should do it this way for awhile; read a vampire book, read a non-vampire book, read a vampire book, etc, etc :D.

Oh! My best friend has decided to read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (aka The Lost Book of Salem) after she finishes her current read and I'm so excited for her! Can't wait to hear what she thinks.

Finished "84 Charing Cross Road" earlier today (OMG OMG ACHIEVEMENT - my mojo is so nonexistent this is the first thing I've completed since Jasper Fforde's "The Book of Lost Plots" in, er, January or February I think it was...).

Yay! Congrats Guilia!

I wanted Helene to get to London so badly to meet everyone and was so sad when Frank died.

Well, I didn't even get to Lappeenranta before I bought a book on this trip :D I went to a secondhand bookshop on my way to the train station and bought Fannie Flagg's Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!.

:irked: Good one Frankie! I wonder how many more you'll be bringing back? :)

My mojo has gone completely awol and I haven't read anything in a good few days :D

Fingers crossed that your mojo returns real soon Charm!

I am halfway through A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, its really good, very quirky, very different :)

Oh, I loved this book! Ignatius is one of the funniest characters I've ever met.

I'm about halfway through Deathworld 1 by Harry Harrison. Despite being a sci-fi fan, I haven't really expanded beyond Arthur C Clarke much before. I'm enjoying this one. :hug:

I finished Deathworld 1 by Harry Harrison. Not a bad read. I have two others in the trilogy to read, but I'd like a change for now.

I won't have much time for concentrating on books in the next week or so, so I'm going to be sticking with short, light reads, which means that next up is Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. I've heard many good things about this book, and I've been wanting to read it ever since it was referenced in a Baby-Sitters Club book (it got Mallory into a lot of trouble on a cruise). This means I've been wanting to read it for about 20 years. :D

It's okay, catwoman, we are here for you! Many of us support being 'vamped out,' so you will have many friends surrounding you! :D

Maybe there should be a support group for those who want to de-vamp. I'm sure Betty Fords would jump at the idea!

Ooooh what you said about The City of Dreaming Books intrigues me, BookJumper! I have now added it to my wishlist
Yay, glad to be of service!

I stand by my statement... books don't get much better than those featuring a winged dinosaur writer on a quest to find the author of the best short story of all time through a city full of booshops on the surface and catacombs lined with books underneath :irked::D:D!

Technically it's part of a series (trust me never to pick up things in order) but as far as I could tell it's pretty standalone, the few things that could have been potentially confusing were considerately footnoted - thank you, Walter.

Who, by the way, is also an illustration genius. The pictures are so beautiful, you spend as much time taking them in as the pages of text.

Yay! Congrats GIUlia (:D)!

I wanted Helene to get to London so badly to meet everyone and was so sad when Frank died.

Me too. Spoiler-tag hardly needed though, don't know about your edition but mine told me the end ON THE :D BLURB, and repeated it in the introduction just in case I'd missed it. It still affected me (how could it not??), but I think it would have done so even more if I hadn't been preparing myself the whole time...

I finished reading Charmed life by Diana Wynne Jones and I'm moving straight onto the second book in the Chrestomanci series. I enjoyed this book and not for a long time (since Harry Potter) have I felt such loathing for a character before I wanted to strangle Gwendolen from the get go. Here's hoping the rest of the series is just as good.

Huggles for Charm 5.gif

Fingers crossed that your mojo returns real soon Charm!

Thanks guys, its really starting to annoy me now :smile2:

I am absolutely loving 'The Time Traveller's Wife'.

Excellent news Chrissy! I'm so glad it's as good as you'd hoped :D

This afternoon I went to the local library and borrowed:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson

Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson

Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

The selection of English books has definitely improved since the last time I was there - it must be the new librarian.:D

Oh and they were giving away a few old books as well, so I picked up:

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The Black Tower by P.D. James

Bachelors Anonymous by P.G. Wodehouse

A very productive outing. :smile2:

This afternoon I went to the local library and borrowed:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson

Friend of the Devil by Peter Robinson

Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

The selection of English books has definitely improved since the last time I was there - it must be the new librarian.:D

Oh and they were giving away a few old books as well, so I picked up:

The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

The Black Tower by P.D. James

Bachelors Anonymous by P.G. Wodehouse

A very productive outing. :smile2:

Reading the girl with the Dragon tattoo at present and some people LOVE it. I struggled until around 250 pages. I hope you like it more than me and look forward to hearing what you think.

I've not read anything for ages now, stress levels high so my mojo does a runner! Did manage a few chapters of TG's Under The Knife this afternoon whilst waiting for an engineer to move and set up a computer and server I use for work, I had to 'hang around' as I was the only one with the passwords to open the system up and check everything I need is there! (I'm in the process of moving from one site to another for work). I also started on the ebook sent to me to review from librarything called Dirty Little Angels - I think - which is so far quite good.