The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Green_Shoe

I apologize if such a thread already exists here - I haven't found it.

This work is one of the greatest Russian novels of the 20th century. Actually, not only Russian. It is really worth reading.

For anti-communismus ideas Bulgakov's book was forbidden for years. But nevertheless, people had secret handmade copies hidden in the depths of their bookshelves and 'The Master and Margarita' was never forgotten.

In my opinion, there is no other fiction that contains so much of realism. Okay, there are witches, sabbath, the ball of all the black souls but still the author shows so many possible episodes of soviet routine, bureaucratism, fanaticism and rules in a very satirical way. Even the Devil, who is visiting Moscow at that time, is curious about what people made to themselves and to each other.

This book has also a book in it. Besides the 'Moscow story' there is also a story of Pontius Pilate, Yeshua and his crucifiction. These two story lines become one in the end.

All that I've written here is not a review or something like that. I have a question for those who read this book.

The image of Margarita is a topic of many researches but I still haven't found an answer to the following question: Why the hell is she giving her life for such a looser like Master. He gave up after his misfortune, he wouldn't try to fight the system. But she... she is the greatest woman ever... Why?

Oooh! I love, absolutely love, this book. It's one of the greatest novels ever, probably the first great post-modern novel, before post-modernism existed. It's wonderfully funny, engrossing, intelligent, glorious. And I don't even understand the references and parallels and satires on Soviet Moscow that are going on in it. One of the very few books I've read more than twice.

As for Margarita, I never quite understood her devotion and sacrifice for the master; I wonder if there's a religious parallel or a parallel in idea of the Soviet people following the communist leadership, but I don't really know. And it's still a few years since I last read it, so I'm not really in a position to discuss the real detail.

I have this on my tbr pile, and have meant to get around to it for ages. I'm going to read it next after seeing this thread. It inspired Mick Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil, and just as I write this, the Stones have come on the radio!

EDIT: Hi Green_Shoe, and welcome to the forum. I love your avatar:)

EDIT: Hi Green_Shoe, and welcome to the forum. I love your avatar:)

Hello Ruth! Thank you :lol:, so do I. I love good books and nice shoes. :D

I didn't know that Sympathy for the Devil had been inspired by 'The Master and Margarita'. I hope you are going to like this book too. Maybe it would inspire you too :D.

Freewheeling Andy, I don't think that Margarita's action was a parallel in idea of the Soviet people following the communist leadership. The whole book is so anti-communistic that it is almost impossible that Bulgakov connected such a parallel to one of the main characters. Religious... Margarita doesn't seem to be religious. Although, it's all so complicated.

Read this fairly recently. The impression I have is that Margarita feels that her life is empty even though she lives a privliged existence. To her the Master represents something meaningful. The novel he is writing is , by its subject and content, against the offical view. The refusal to publish it followed by the attacks in the press was typical of the Soviet system - Bulgakov himself suffered similar attacks.I dont see him a s a loser, more someone following his own beliefs rather than toeing the offical line. His disappearance is likely to be an allusion to be taken away for interrogation, and as seems likely found to be 'insane' and put in a secure hospital. That was one form of punishment meted out by the Soviet government against dissenters.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, Margarita feels that her life is empty, but not every woman who's life is empty does something like she did. In any case, she is my absolute favorite character. It doesn't matter that I don't understand her motivation down to rock bottom but I know that if I was her, I'd do the same. :blush:

I think, I am going to re-read this book again...

After you guys' enthusiasm, I feel bad for not having liked this book more.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think it was bad - I know bad writing when I see it and this isn't it - but it left me completely blank and empty. I'm pretty big on Faustian stories from Christopher Marlowe onwards so this really interested me, yet I completely and utterly failed to feel anything for any of the characters.

I think I was slightly disturbed in places, but that's about as engaging as it got for me...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we are not going to start WWIII about not liking the same book, are we? :blush: You are not the first and not the last not to be charmed by 'The Master and Margarita'.

My mother read this book and I was so excited to discuss it with her but she was just looking so sceptical and.. disturbed. 'Yeah... a talking cat. Cool. Satan. Aha. Some kind of knockabout comedy', - she told. And I had nothing more to say. But I like it. I wonder if a screen version will ever be made.

• 12 years later...