Emma by Jane Austen

Synopsis

Often said to be Jane Austen's most perfect novel, "Emma" is also the perfect read - with a very imperfect - but loveable - heroine...Beautiful, clever and rich, Emma Woodhouse thinks she knows best. She only wants to help others arrange things as she thinks they should be done, and convinced she's just not destined to find true love herself, she believes that she must instead devote herself to playing Cupid for others. But absolutely nothing goes to plan - and in the process, Emma has a lot of learning to do: about others, but most of all about herself...

I started Emma this morning during my teabreak & got through one chapter - all's well. During lunch I kept getting distracted, meaning I didn't quite finish another 2 chapters (I'll possibly finish ch3 during my afternoon coffee break). I'm already finding it very difficult to get to grips with the very formal style - I know it's very much "Of the period", but it's something I'm just not used to - I'm hoping I'll settle into it soon as I'm easily distracted if I can't get into the style (as demonstrated at lunchtime!). I'm also already of the opinion that Emma herself is both arrogant & childish - especially for someone who's 21 years old.

I've never read any Austen before (although I did see the film adaptation of Emma, starring Gwyneth Paltrow, a few years back) & I'm finding it a bit hard-going so far, even though I vaguely know what's coming.

I feel that if I were ever to have met Emma in the flesh, i'd have given her a good shake & made an effort never to have met her again. I hope my opinion of her improves as the story progresses because right now I'd dearly love to see her get her come-uppance - LOL!

How's everyone else getting along with it? Anyone care to share their thoughts so far?

I like Emma. She is completely condescending, meddling in other people's lives as though they are her personal playthings, but you can't help feeling she does it because she honestly thinks she is making things better.

She is presumptious, but not malicious - just thoughtless as a consequence of never having any restraint placed on her.

I've just reached a point where Mr Knightley is pointing out how vain Emma is where her cleverness is concerned, which is rather funny, because I was already beginning to feel that way about her, so I now feel I have an ally - LOL!

I have to admit that even another chapter's-worth into it, it's starting to grow on me - especially if Mr Knightley continues to be so vocal on the subject of Emma & her friendship with Harriet, as Harriet is clearly in a hero-worship position.

I was a little worried before I got to read a little more at coffee-break there, as I was wondering whether or not I would be able to get into it if I thought the heroine so flighty & imperious, but I think Mr Knightley may prove my knight in shining armour by being more objective - hurrah!

Ooh, enjoy your visit, Wabbit - & do tell us all about it when you get back!

I've just finished Part 1 of Emma & I'm getting more used to the style of writing now & can very much say I agree with Mr Knightley's way of thinking 99% of the time. I sometimes find Miss Bates' prattling annoying, but I get the feeling that's exactly how I'm supposed to feel about that.

I do feel that Austen very much guiding me in my way of thinking about the characters & situations - usually I would feel very much outside of what's happening in this kind of story; as if I were an observer looking in, but I feel like I'm seeing it all through Austen's eyes & she's decided specifically how she feels about each character & has made the effort to make sure I feel exactly the same way about them as she does. It's fascinating, really!

I've noticed a few moments of humour, ut none that have made me laugh out loud as such - it seems a very gentle, round-about style of humour (I'm more often than not attracted to very dark humour), but it has made me smile a few times so far. I'm a few chapters into Part 2 & plan on reading a few more in the bathtub tonight too...

:) Little update on Our trip today to Jane Austen's House

WOW! :( its well worth a visit...I highly recommed it...

Very nice helpful staff, just a lovely elderly couple who love the house, their work and Jane.........and they answered all my silly questions... lol

Wonderful seeing Jane's home, things, esp the little table she sat at in the window to write, etc.. loads of free info + lots of interesting items, from a print of a prayer written in her hand only 50p and loads of items to buy as keepsakes, not to mention the great bookshop in one of the rooms, with so many choices of her books, from lovely gilt edge and cloth bound collector's library HB (which I bought of 'Emma') for

Yes GO! :(

Think its going to be an all time fav place of mine :D ... would defy go again, Very unlike me as once I have been somewhere that's it...Such a lot to look at....

Even the garden was lovely with all the old fashioned plants.. it reminded me a little of 'The Secret Garden' as you walk through an arched bush to the 2nd hidden half.... I can't say enough just how much we enjoyed it.

Can wander and sit in the garden as long as you want... I read the first page of 'Emma' out there :) ... then we wandered around the House again.... Loved it!

LOVED IT :):D:) I Will stop going on about it now... its really Lovely :shock: though :oops:

Wabbit x :wave:

Jane Austen's house sounds fab, Wabbit!

I've just starrted re reading Emma. I read it a couple of years ago. I can't remember much about it, just the gist of the story. I bought a DVD of it with Gwynneth Paltrow as Emma. Has anyone seen it? There was another version as well, I didn't know which one to buy!

I've also started rereading (but once I start I can't stop - I was nearly late for work this morning!).

I forgot how claustraphobic Emma can feel. In other Austen books at least the characters travel around, so there is a change of scene and society. In Emma the story doesn't move outside the village, so it does feel very confined.

I love the pettiness of everyday life; the fact that a letter can still be talked about months after it was received, with nothing much else going on to distract people.

The claustrophobia and pettiness are the very things that I find so maddening and dull – LOL! With the focus so squarely on the comings and goings of a very few people in a small village (all of whom seem to spend all their time indoors if they can possibly help it!), there’s nothing of excitement for me. Even the impending ball (about which there was so much chatter and excitement for the characters), or the arrival of Frank Churchill, or the marriage of Mr Elton, have seemed small and lacklustre to me. They must lead very dull lives indeed if one letter, already months old, is providing all their entertainment for so long a period. I couldn’t have stood to live in such a stifling atmosphere! Not that I would have had much choice if I’d been a lady of class and money in that time.

I can appreciate that this (and Austen’s other works) are considered classics, as they are certainly very evocative of the Regency period, but nothing of consequence ever seems to happen and I’m feeling incredibly tired of some of the characters and their lives – I feel almost as thought I’m being worn down by them and I can’t relate to them at all – the women are far too twittery for my liking.

Still, I feel I’m on the home stretch now that I’m onto Volume 3. I’m in it for the long haul and will finish this if it’s the last thing I do.

Then I’ll be moving onto something that looks a little more suited to my tastes – something a bit more gripping…

I think IKWYM Kell! The thing that keeps me going is the beautiful writing style! I've just finished chap 5, and I just loved the way Austen writes about the conversation between Mr Knightley and Mrs Weston.

(I'm going to have to read a bit quicker, it seems there is no time to read atm, and I'll never finish it at this rate!)

Michelle – yes, I think if there were more things happening and I felt I could relate to the characters a little more, I’d enjoy it better. I think this was just perhaps the wrong choice for me. I’ve read a very few other classics, but I’ve gravitated towards the likes of Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and their ilk (dark, brooding, gothic, horrific, sensual works), as well as Alexandre Dumas (action-packed and with some humour thrown in, although often dealing with rather traumatic events). After those others mentioned, this just seems so pale and wan by comparison. The characters seem insipid, whereas in the others they’re more boisterous and/or colourful, and seem far richer than the inhabitants of Austen’s delicate world. L

I’ll still be trying more classics though. I quite fancy trying some Victor Hugo…

Linda – I agree about the conversations. They’re the one area that seem to bring things to life a little, but the constant stream that often flows from between the lips of Miss Bates makes my eyes tired and I find I have to force myself not to skip ahead in case I miss some major plot point.

I haven't started Emma yet, but remember loving it when I first read it , in my teens. I understand what you mean Kell, but life has changed soooo....much in the last 100 years that there's no comparison. That was the life of well-to-do ladies (no wonder Jane Austen turned to writing). I think it must be hard for any young person to relate to that age...just the slowness. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and compared with 2006, THAT was incredibly slow. But at least you've tried it and are able to form an opinion.

Merlin is beautiful, Linda. Please give him a hug from me!

Susanna :wave:

I'm a mad Jane Austen fan, I even used my Favourite book by her (Persuassion) as part of my dissertation! I'm currently reading Lady Susan, a very early work of hers.

Emma however, is another favourite of mine, and yes there certainly are jokes! Jane Austen made a living out of making fun of society and its conventions, but she did it in such a cleve and a gentle way, that they didn't mind or perhaps didn't notice! I would wholeheartedly recommend any of her books!

I have managed to find a copy of Emma (probaby one of the only famous classics I didn't own lol) and I will get around to reading it eventually. I have read Austen before and I did enjoy it (you have to love Mr darcy :( ) so I am quite looking forward to this one, especially considering some of the comments made on here.

I actually finished Emma tonight in the bath (there was more left than I expected and then I had a migraine all today which prevented me from reading earlier). The end seemed to take forever to wrap up

I feel as though I'm struggling a bit now. I don't seem to have the 'space' atm to read a classic. Every time I sit down with it and read a page, I can't remember what I've read, and have to read it again! I think I have too much going on atm, and my mind keeps going round and round!!

But, I do love the witty writing, so will persevere. It doesn't matter if I don't finish it by the end of the month does it?