Looking for..

Hi!

My name is Victor, I am 19 years old and I'm from Bulgaria.

First, I want to apologise for my poor english, but I'll improve it soon :)

I'm really glad that I found this forum, I read a lot of books and it's interesting for me to see other peoples' opinions. It's my first post, but I've been reading a lot of your posts :)

So, I'll explain what am I looking for..

I look for books which are connected with universities, books, libraries and students. I find it really inspiring to read about such things, as I am going to university this year. I also admire people dedicated to science and if you have read books with such plots I'm looking forward to reading them :motz: For exapmle, I really enjoyed The Historian in the parts where they have been rushing trough old places and libraries..

I don't have problems reading in English, for me it's more difficult to express myself properly in the foreing lanuage, so if they are not translated, it's not a problem.

I hope you will help me finding some great books,

Best wishes,

Victor

Welcome to BCF! :)

I would have to start by recommending The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Set in Germany in WW2 it was one of my favourite reads of last year.

From Amazon:

Nine-year-old Liesel lives with her foster family on Himmel Street during the dark days of the Third Reich. Her Communist parents have been transported to a concentration camp, and during the funeral for her brother, she manages to steal a macabre book: it is, in fact, a gravediggers’ instruction manual. This is the first of many books which will pass through her hands as the carnage of the Second World War begins to hungrily claim lives. Both Liesel and her fellow inhabitants of Himmel Street will find themselves changed by both words on the printed page and the horrendous events happening around them.

I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions too.

May I also say that far from being poor, your English is excellent! :)

Hello there :) welcome!

May I direct you to this thread I created some while ago? It starts with the section of my wishlist dedicated to books about books/writers/libraries (it seems we have something of a shared interested...), and continues with many a good recommendation by the lovely people of the forum.

And, I wouldn't even had known you were foreign had you not specified... I wish I was that proficient in languages I wasn't taught as an infant!

Thanks for the answers and for the reccomendation.

BookJumper, I looked trough the thread, and it's great. However, I would ask if somebody could reccomend me books with plots more connected with universities and England. Maybe it sounds a bit strange but I just love the atmosphere of science and books. I admire people like Sergey Korolyov and sir Isaac Newton who, without a shadow of a doubt, were genius.

Another example for what am I searcing: something like when Harry Potter and his friends were at the school and they were searching books and studying till midnight.

These two are both set in leading British universities:

Elizabeth Garner, "The Ingenious Edgar Jones" (emphasis on science)

David Benedictus, "Floating Down to Camelot" (emphasis on literature and philosophy)