Foreign food

Maureen

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least we're off the subject of Rocky Mountain Oysters!

:D:D:(:):):)

Kell, give the grits a try. They are also good when cooked in "chicken broth" instead of water. Sometimes we will cook them in chicken broth and then after done mix in some pepperjack cheese and sprinkle liberally extra cheese on top and bake the grits for 10 minutes. When having basic grits I really like to mix in about a tablespoon of maple syrup with my serving.

I have a "lazy Man's recipe" for making polenta that is every bit as good as doing it the hard way on top of the stove and constantly stirring it. I will post my recipe for the polenta in the recipe topic.

Grits can be used many ways and fixed many ways.

Basic grits are normally a breakfast food. Simply cook the grits in water and serve for breakfast with bacon, sausage, etc. Most people mix a little butter in their serving of grits.

They can also be fancied up and used as an accompaniment to dinner (instead of a potato, etc) and eaten with fish, steak, etc. My mention of baking it and mixing in cheese was one way we ate it with red snapper for a dinner.

There are a few recipes on the Quaker box of Grits.

Kell, directly answering your question:

Grits are "neutral"...they take on the flavor of whatever you put with it. If it's breakfast, I like my grits swimming in butter, salt and pepper. Don't care for them sweet, though I'd probably like them okay if I put butter, brown sugar and a bit of table cream with them. :(

If you want to try something interesting with them, after you cook them, drop them by spoonsful in a greased skillet and fry them, like you would polenta patties, then use them the same way. :)

I get the "duh?" look from supermarket folks even when I'm asking for sliced turkey at the deli & pointing to the required item - LOL!

• 2 months later...

I generally eat whatever the locals eat. I really enjoy trying new things. Over the years I have tried quite a number of "strange" things.

Horse

Testicles

Cow stomach stew

Guts roasted on a stick

Octopus

Snails

Frogs legs

Crocodile

And from the UK that would be foreign to those not living here...

black pudding ( blood and oatmeal sausage )

Haggis ( heart, lungs, kidney of a sheep boiled in it's own stomach )

Pork scratchings ( pig skin in a bag )

Probably the only thing I would baulk at is anything that is still alive and wriggling. Other than that... serve it up! :)

I generally eat whatever the locals eat. I really enjoy trying new things. Over the years I have tried quite a number of "strange" things.

Horse

Shall be having some tomorrow ;-)

Octopus

Snails

:)

We eat these regularly over here. Delicious too, if properly cooked.

Octopus

Snails

Frogs legs

Done all them

And from the UK that would be foreign to those not living here...

black pudding ( blood and oatmeal sausage )

Haggis ( heart, lungs, kidney of a sheep boiled in it's own stomach )

Pork scratchings ( pig skin in a bag ) LOVE these

Cannot face... rabbit!

I once had a horse steak when I was in Holland on a school trip. Everyone was eating it fine till they found out what it was. I still ate mine - I figured I was already enjoying it, so knowing it was horse half-way through shouldn't bother me. It was lovely & tender - not so dark as beef but not so light as pork. Horse tastes like horse - LOL!