Foreign food

Maureen

My flatmates named the christmas turkey at university - it then stuck and for the rest of the year everytime they had a joint it would be named something.

The turkey was called Molly. I have no idea why!

I couldn't eat it even once my mother had removed the head, because it had arrived with it on & had put me right off it - I nibbled on a salad that lunchtime instead

I have a collegaue who says that she won't eat anything with eyes. Not even potatoes!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try most things, my poor dh, when in Portugal, tried steak al moude. It was described as steak cooked in coffee. He thought it was so weird it had to be really good or really bad.

It was steak covered in coffee grounds,with cream, and really,really,nasty!

David and I went to France a couple of years ago and were joined for a long weekend by my parents. We'd found this lovely little restaurant and we were looking forward to taking them there for a nice meal. My Mum decided to have a walnut salad, but even though we had a French Dictionary with us and my Dad speaks the language well, we couldn't work out what one of the ingredients was. Turns out it was gizzards and they were foul - the 'lovely meal' was forever tainted!

A long time ago, in a restaurant in Le Mans (fish - the restaurant not the place) my dad told me that the French word on the menu that was not tuna was skate a la Provence (skate in garlic and tomato according to him!)

Two minutes before the food arrived he checked his translation and it was ..... eel! In chunks like eating snake!

We were in Germany once and couldn't figure out what one of the dishes was. I decided to order it and see. Turned out to be pig's trotters, stood up on a bed of sauerkraut which was dyed green to look like grass.

They were tastier than you'd think... :eat:

:) No Muggle not, they're the pig's feet. It was odd when they came out stood up - it looked as though they'd just cut the pig off at the knees.

My nan used to terrify me by hiding pigs' heads round her house. She used to use the meat off them to make brawn, but she liked to traumatise me first. Is it any wonder I've grown up twisted? :(

Well, while in Germany we were fed by Ute, Andy's second wife. It was mostly brotchen, wurst, and gouda (bread meat and cheese). We had this in the hotel for breakfast, and at Ute's for one meal. But our other meals were quite normal, pasta, fishfingers, paprika steak. However we went swimming on Sunday and had currywurst with chips. The curried sausage was gorgeous. I'm gonna get some next time.

I think I was about 3 years old the first time I tasted fish eggs. My mom had this way of getting me to taste just about anything. Whenever we'd go fishing and we got a female, mom would save the eggs, roll them in seasoned cornmeal (like you'd use for polenta) and fry them. A little sprinkle of salt and YUM-O! :(

It wasn't until I was grown and at a fancy party that I tasted proper caviar for the first time as an appetizer. A Belgian endive leaf with a dollop of boursin cheese and a tiny spoonful of caviar on top of the cheese. Very tasty. :)

Grits are similar to cornmeal, but the corn has been treated with lime first to remove the husk. Then it's ground very coarse.

I like them, as they're a good vehicle to eat butter and salt and pepper! :( Some folks like them with cheese melted in...and other stuff.

I use grits in my tamales to give the masa more texture than the plain corn flour gives.

In search of grits, I came across this lovely little site (which has a very humourous "basic grits" recipe - go have a look) & whiled away a few minutes, quietly giggling & wondering whether or not I might be able to find Quaker Quick Grits in any supermarket over here in good old Blighty!

http://www.micoks.net/~jfw/grits00.html