Foreign food

Maureen

I was told to be sure to try an authentic dish of Koenigsbergerklose while in Germany. Apparently these are meatballs with capers and a white sauce. .....oh an obviously some sauerkraut. When you go on holiday, do you try the local food, or do you stick to the devil you know ;-)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to try new things - quite often I find new favourites that way & end up trying to get recipes from the various resteraunts - LOL! Kofte (Turkish meatballs) are still a favourite of mine, along with borek (filo pastry stuffed with feta & baked - yummy!) & baklava (layred pastry, honey & nuts - sinfully delicious!). I was shown how to make them when I was over in Turkey a few years back.

I'll try pretty much anything unless it's shellfish or squid/octopus, because I really don't like the texture of those at all. *shudder*

I'll try pretty much anything unless it's shellfish or squid/octopus, because I really don't like the texture of those at all. *shudder*

Oh Kell! you are loosing out!! Shellfish is positively delicious, a firm favourite of ours. As for octopus (in garlic), and squid - mmmmmnnnn!!

I'm usually amenable to trying new things...I do have my limitations though..I won't eat anything that most people keep as pets and I don't eat insects...unless you count shrimp, lobsters and crabs as insects...or reptiles.

In recent years I've learned to appreciate and in some cases, even crave things like sushi, calamari, carpaccio, exotic cheeses, weird vegetables and fruits...

I've happily eaten snails and frogs legs; I've eaten a weird rodent (called labba) in Guyana; I've eaten snake and alligator; I've eaten a bizarre mix of roast pork, blood and intestines when in Portugal (although I struggled); I was eating cold marinated octopus in Italy last year. Although some of these are a bit extreme. I'd generally try the local speciality, whatever it was, unless it's andouillettes, which I've never got past the smell of.

And probably the same would apply to storstromming if the opportunity arose.

I do eat snails, (and love them) and would try the frogs legs, snakes and alligators. Here they do fried blood sausages, which I don't like, but which is not exotic at all for me, cold marinated octopus I eat very frequently(you can buy it at any cheese counter in super or mini markets). Did you like it?

I have no idea what andouillettes and storstromming are. Have to check them out.

...and I don't eat insects.

No, me either. Insects, whether alive or dead, are completely out for me - ick!

I'd very much like to try snake though - I've been told that's delicious.

I'm not brave enough to order a dish I haven't already tried, but I did grow up with parents who try local stuff and I'd have a wee taste of theirs. I love garlic snails and (even though I don't like fish or any other seafood) mussels and I'd try frogs legs - I have to have a back up meal of my own so I won't go hungry if I don't like it.

I'm the same about heads, Sarah - I once had to leave an entire meal because the fish (which was a perfectly lovely red snapper, if I remember correctly) arrived with it's head still on & I could feel it staring at me. I couldn't eat it even once my mother had removed the head, because it had arrived with it on & had put me right off it - I nibbled on a salad that lunchtime instead. :(

I don't know the full details, but they wouldn't have been starving and they had chickens, lambs and loads of other edible stuff about. I expect that Grandma had the duck lined up for dinner and it was never intended to be a pet - my Dad just got attached. Or at least I hope so!