White Oleander by Janet Fitch

MuggleMagic

A passionate, hypnotic and dangerous novel about a daughter and her mother. Astrid has been raised by her mother, Ingrid a beautiful, headstrong poet. Astrid's world revolves around Ingrid; she forgives her everything. Until Ingrid murders a former lover and is imprisoned for life...

The book spans five years in which Astrid tells her story as she is placed in different foster homes and struggles to maintain a relationship with her Mother.

I found it interesting to see how each of Astrid's foster Mother's shaped her and made her into what she became.

Has anybody else read this? I'm sure I saw someone talking about it :D

post-2935-127972301724_thumb.jpg

I am embarassed to admit that I had no idea that film was based on a book. :) But now that I do know, I'm adding this to my wishlist. There was a few things in the film that wasn't entirely clear to me and I'm hoping the novel might help with that. :)

• 10 months later...

I love this book! It might very well be the most amazing book I've ever read.

Her way of describing Astrid's world is painfully beautiful and full of longing and suffer. I really like how the text is thick of adjectives that makes every scene as clear as if you're seeing it on a screen.

Mother-daughter relationships are almost always interesting to read about because they are so powerful and in a way most essential to who we will become, and the bond between Astrid and her mother is no exception. No matter how much Astrid might hate her mother for what she put her through she'll always love her and long for her.