Fantasy book about shapeshifting people?

Hi guys!

This has been bugging me for too long now, it wasn't long ago I saw this book in borders but it was in a Cambridge bookstore and I am no longer there to go back and look :D

From what I remember it was in the fantasy section and it was written by a woman who wrote the books or started writing books at a young age, late teenager.

I remember it being about people that can shapeshift into animals I think it was and from what I remember there was a woman who was to fall in love with some man who she possibly wasn't allowed to. :S I think it was kind of tribey too....ah :motz: I just can't find anything on it anywhere :tong:

So if any of you have any ideas of anything remotely similar by a female author as I said above I would appreciate it. :D Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to say it isn't a stand alone book it was in a series, cannot remember how many though.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

• 2 weeks later...

Could also be one of LJ Smith's Nightworld books?

These are YA books about humans and members of the Nightworld falling in love and the rules against it. The Nightworld is made up of vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves, witches and so on. Each book is about a particular couple's struggle to be together.

The rules are that if you're Nightworld, you can't fall in love with a human. And also you can't fall in love with a member from another Nightworld Race.

The titles are Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness, Enchantress, Dark Angel, The Chosen, Soulmate, Huntress, Black Dawn, and Witchlight.

'Switchers' by Kate Thompson? Here's the link. They are great books.

The other two books in the series are 'Midnight's Choice' and 'Wild Blood'.

Doesn't seem to be Thompson either, thanks though Chrissy, I like the sound of these books though. :lol: I don't think the books I'm looking for were YA fiction either, definitely got the adult feel from them from what I remember.

I hate not remembering :D

Could also be one of LJ Smith's Nightworld books?

These are YA books about humans and members of the Nightworld falling in love and the rules against it. The Nightworld is made up of vampires, shapeshifters, werewolves, witches and so on. Each book is about a particular couple's struggle to be together.

The rules are that if you're Nightworld, you can't fall in love with a human. And also you can't fall in love with a member from another Nightworld Race.

The titles are Secret Vampire, Daughters of Darkness, Enchantress, Dark Angel, The Chosen, Soulmate, Huntress, Black Dawn, and Witchlight.

Hi Vanwa, thanks for the help but it isn't Smith either, I have previously read books by her and it was definitely an author I had not come across before that instant. I normally write a memo in my mobile of good authors or books but for some reason I never did this time and live to regret it, it seems :blush:

Could it be Michelle Paver? She has a series that starts with Wolf Brother

Thanks for the help lexiepiper, it's sadly not Paver either. I have previously read the first three books of Pavers series starting with Wolf Brother. If you haven't read them yourself, I recommend them, they are brilliant! :lol:

I found them to be great escapism books and a very easy read. I read them shortly after my uncle died and they helped, in a weird way. I still need to read the next three though.

Maybe I should just go look in the bookshop in Cambridge when I'm next back in November for graduation and hope they haven't reorganised things too much, and see if I come across the book cover, it has got to be there still, it is a borders I saw it in after all not a small independent store. I remember the book cover being yellow or gold....not that that helps much with books having multiple covers.:D

I remember it being about people that can shapeshift into animals I think it was and from what I remember there was a woman who was to fall in love with some man who she possibly wasn't allowed to. :S I think it was kind of tribey too....ah :blush: I just can't find anything on it anywhere :D

Hi chrysalis_stage, how are you? :D

Could it be 'The Halfblood Chronicles' by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey, it had dragons in it that could shapeshift into anything and the main character Shana, her father is a Elven-lord (who her mother had fallen in love with, when she was not supposed for various reasons). I am pretty sure at some point in the later books, Shana falls in love with a man who she not allowed to fall in love with.

The books in the series are ~

The Elvenbane

Elvenblood

Elvenborn

I hope you find what you are looking for :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Gyre and Susanne, it doesn't seem to be what you suggested either. I still haven't come across it.

I live in Cambridge and will go have a look if you want? Let me know as any excuse is good to go in a book shop!

Oh, Library Nook, that would be fantastic if you don't mind. There probably isn't much point me saying which shelf I remember seeing it on because they have more than likely rearranged things but I will anyway :motz: I remember seeing it on the shelf downstairs nearest the stairs but opposite the comics if I remember rightly. It is next to the crime books and if I was standing looking at the book shelf and looking over the top I could see the paperchase things or the comics. Ah anyway, at least this gives you an excuse like you said :smile2: Thank you!

• 1 month later...

Found it! :D Thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Author - Jennifer Roberson

Chronicles of the Cheysuli - (Shapechangers are called Cheysuli)

They were the Cheysuli, a race of magical warriors gifted with the ability to assume animal shape at will. For centuries they had been allies to the King of Homana, treasured champions of the realm. Until a king

• 1 year later...

I read those books when I was in the 8th grade (so a long time ago) and I have always wanted to read them again, but I forgot the titles and the author and could only vaugly describe them so searching on bookforums have been of no use to me, and just the other night I thought of them again and wondered what they where called, and here is the titles and the author, and someone else who's looking for them!!

They are now on the way to me and I can't wait to read them again and see if they are as good as I remember them!! \o/