Friends Like These by Danny Wallace

Janet

043-2009-Aug-21-FriendsLikeThese.jpg

Friends Like These by Danny Wallace

The ‘blurb’

Danny Wallace is about to turn thirty. Recently married and living in a smart new area of town, he's swapped pints down the pub for lattes and brunch. For the first time in his life, he's feeling, well ...grown-up.

But something's missing. Something he can’t quite put his finger on. Until he finds an old address book containing just twelve names. His best mates as a kid. Where are they now? Who are they now? And how are they coping with being grown-up too?

And so begins a journey from A-Z, tracking down and meeting his old gang. He travels from Berlin to Tokyo, from Sydney to LA. He even goes to Loughborough. He meets Fijian chiefs. German rappers. Some ninjas. And a carvery manager who's managed to solve time travel. But how will they respond to a man they haven't seen in twenty years, turning up and asking if they're coming out to play?

Shortly before his 30th birthday, Danny’s Mum sends him a huge box containing memorabilia from Danny’s childhood, including an old address book. It contains 12 (13, if you include The Michael Jackson Fanclub!) addresses of children with whom he was best friends over the years.

However, his Dad’s job meant that the Wallace family moved a few times, and over the course of time and distance, Danny has lost friends with all the names in this address book. However the memories of them are as strong as ever, and so, in some kind of mid-life crisis, Danny decides to try to track them all down.

What follows is both funny and touching as Danny describes how he goes about trying to track everyone down.

The humour is gentle but there are more than a few ‘laugh out loud’ moments. The writing style is lovely - very easy to read.

If there was an Olympic sport of Crying at the drop of a hat then I’d win it the gold medal hands down, so it’s hardly surprising that I cried at the end of the book - I won’t say why! Did Danny finish his challenge and track everyone down? Now, that would be telling, wouldn’t it!

I think anyone who likes travel writing would enjoy this. The style reminds me of McCarthy’s Bar by Pete McCarthy, or perhaps One Hit Wonderland by Tony Hawks, both of which I enjoyed, so it’s no surprise to me that I liked this too.

I can’t wait to try Yes Man now! :lol:

The paperback is 407 pages long and is published by Ebury Press. The ISBN number is 978-0091896775.

Edited by Janet
Book details amended

I LOVE Danny's books - I have now read Join Me (after which I became a Joinee!), Yes Man, Are You Dave Gorman, Danny Wallace and the Centre of the Universe, and Friends Like These and loved them all! THe man is hilarious and his writing style is so friendly you could believe he was a long lost friend of your own - I felt so comfortable whilst reading anything he's written that I was actually sad when I finished them.

It sounds brilliant. Funny, but light at the same time. Plot sounds interesting and entertaining, and it's quite short as well. Sounds like a very interesting read. Great review Janet, got me interested now. :D

I LOVE Danny's books - I have now read Join Me (after which I became a Joinee!)
Me too :D how exciting, shall I be seeing you at Karmageddon then? I'm pretty sure Mac's one too, we should organize a BFC Joinee contingent...

I've been meaning to buy this for ages, I really should get round to it; Danny always knows how to make me chortle. Plus he's a top bloke and should be supported in all his crazy endeavours!

Oops, my mistake Ben - I forgot to change the details from the last book I read. :lol: It's actually 407 pages but doesn't feel like a long book. :out:

Aha no problem. :D

Me too :D how exciting, shall I be seeing you at Karmageddon then? I'm pretty sure Mac's one too, we should organize a BFC Joinee contingent...

Unfortunately I won't make Karmageddon, but I'd love to one of these days.

Backto the books though - when I was reading Friends Like These, Mr Wallace began to feel like such an old friend that I half expected him to show up at my door, asking if I was coming out to play - LOL!

Ooh, I thought I should mention I'm also a citizen of his country, which is called Lovely (isn't that nice?).

By the way, you all look great today - that colour really suits you! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Finished reading this book this morning. It was a brilliant book. It’s written in a very informal style, almost like a journal, but with the feel of a friend writing you a letter to tell you what they’ve been up to. Danny is only a few years younger than me, so the memories and reference points made me nostalgic for my own childhood and adolescence, and written with a genuine warmth that makes it feel very inclusive and I was completely immersed in the quest myself.

There are times when things don’t go according to plan, with some poignant and emotional moments, from revelations to rekindling of friendships, but overall, it’s a very satisfying story to read, great fun and I’m off to find out if any of his other books are available for download.

Like Janet has already mentioned, if you like this, try Tony Hawks books - One Hit Wonderland was actually my least favourite of his, although I still enjoyed it, but I'd say start at the beginning with Round Ireland With a Fridge. Also I would add Stuart Maconie to the pot as well, same genuine warmth for his subject in his writing style, and same humour, although he's probably about 15 years older than Danny Wallace, and that goes give it a slightly different flavour to his reference points and humour, but all give me the same feeling of contentment when I read them.

• 2 months later...

I thought this was a fantastic book really enjoyed reading it. Danny's writing style is very good at making you feel welcome to join him in his life and adventures.

I could happily read about his trip to Japan in this book time and time again.

I am looking forward to reading more of his books and already have Yes Man on my shelf.

• 2 months later...

Its a good little book, although I feel that Yes Man was probably the best of his set thus far. I'd recommend "Are you Dave Gorman?" as a good first point on Dannys writing as its written by Dave and Danny from their different perspectives. I also think they work best in order: Dave Gorman, Join Me, Yes Man, Friends like these. I say this only as when read in order you get recurring themes that Danny draws out along the books and some of the chracters that he meets along the way pop up again like old friends of the reader.

I've read Join Me, Yes Man and ...Centre of the Universe since I started this thread. I can't make up my mind between this one and Join Me as a favourite!

I have Are You Dave Gorman on my Wish List, but I'm trying to get my 'to read' pile down before I embark on it!

Has anyone here read the Awkward Situations for Men books? If so, what did you think?

I have Are You Dave Gorman on my Wish List, but I'm trying to get my 'to read' pile down before I embark on it!

This works better as a TV series. I got half-way through the book, put it down for a bit and never picked it up again.

Has anyone here read the Awkward Situations for Men books? If so, what did you think?

I've not read the book, but I do believe that its a collection of his writings in the free magazine ShortList:

http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/danny-wallace-is-a-man

Its the reason to get the magazine to be quite honest, always a good laugh from his columns :).

Are you Dave Gorman

This works better as a TV series. I got half-way through the book, put it down for a bit and never picked it up again.

I did the same. My sides hurt with laughter during the tv series but the book I think I only got a third of the way through.

I didn't realise there was a TV version or I would have watched it. :(

I managed to find Awkward Situations for Men for £1.25 in a charity shop yesterday! :D

• 1 year later...

When I grow up, I want to be like Danny Wallace! Because here is a man who has carved out a career for himself still doing all the things you might drunkenly discuss and laugh about whilst in the pub, but would then never actually do when you came to your senses the morning after.

But take a look at Danny Wallace’s back-catalogue of books and you see that not only is he the man that still carries out these immature boy tasks, but he has wrote a whole bunch of books on them. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised, he is the Yes Man after all...

But that is another book! Today I am here to review Friends Like These. This was my first Danny Wallace book, and therefore the one that got me hooked on this brilliant genius! Something hit a chord with me when I read the synopsis for this book, because long before the days of Facebook, I too often wondered what those tiny people who I used to share a classroom with were up to these days. Granted they probably weren’t tiny anymore, but surely something else must have happened to them apart from growth!

And that is the concept of Danny’s book. He finds an address book with the names of his childhood friends from yesteryear. And then comes the idea – the classic Wallace idea! Why don’t I try to track these guys down?!

Of course, it is the sort of nonsense that any normal run-of-the-mill-nine-to-five-guy can only daydream about, but Danny has a bit of time on his hands so he goes on the hunt. And it is a hunt that takes him from London to Berlin, Tokyo, Australia, and California! Quite an epic journey you might say. Once Facebook did explode on to our laptops (steady!), I actually picked out eight friends myself from Primary School. My journey would have taken me to Tooting.

Luckily Danny’s journey is a bit more exotic and fun-packed than that, and although you find yourself wondering where this is all going to end up, you do get lost and caught up in it all as Danny’s friends turn out to be rappers and ninjas, time-travelling pioneers, mediocre restaurant managers, and even Fijian royalty!

Perhaps not Danny’s best book, but when you have written some of the gems that this man has, that probably isn’t very surprising. But I thoroughly enjoyed it, and can safely say I would recommend this to anyone – no matter what your taste – if you are just up for some good old fashioned reading fun!

4/5 Stars