Quotes from Books

Ben

This is just a small section  of a much larger quote from "The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman.

"But they were trying, all the same. They'd go on trying until the end of everything."

I love the paragraph this comes from so much and sometimes I just take the book of the shelf to re-read it again.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Laure, who liked apricot yogurt and drank tea but not coffee and who had size six feet and who loved horses, who preferred plain chocolate to milk chocolate and had spent five years learning classical guitar but never played any more and was still sad that their pet dog, Poppy, had been run over the previous Summer...

...Laura, who slept curled up in a ball, who liked hot buttered toast and all the Indiana Jones movies but not Star Wars, whose first word was "dog", who liked the rain but not the wind, who planned to have three children, Laura who would be forever standing by the photocopier in the office in Parkside waiting for the stranger and his knife, waiting for the world to go white.

From Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

I love this quite because it shows all the small little bits that make up a person.

• 10 months later...

Bumping up thread! 

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

(Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina)

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen"

(George Orwell, 1984)

• 4 months later...

"Life is what happens, Magnus, no matter what you expect or want."

The Magicians End - Raymond E. Feist

Edited by Devi

Saw this on my FB feed today, someone posted it on his wall. 

""You meet a girl: shy, unassuming. If you tell her she's beautiful, she'll think you're sweet, but she won't believe you. She knows that beauty lies in your beholding. And sometimes that's enough. But there's a better way. You show her she is beautiful. You make mirrors of your eyes, prayers of your hands against her body. It is hard, very hard, but when she truly believes you... Suddenly the story she tells herself in her own head changes. She transforms. She isn't seen as beautiful. She is beautiful, seen."

I googled and apparently it's from The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Beautiful! :wub:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen"

(George Orwell, 1984)

Ooooh- I like that one!

From Elie Wiesel:

What is a friend?  The person who first makes you aware of your own solitude and his, and helps you escape it so that you, in turn, may help him.  It is thanks to him that you can fall silent without shame, and unburden yourself without loss of face.

And:

For Primo Levi the problem of faith after Auschwitz was posed in stark terms: either God is God and therefore all- powerful and hence guilty of letting the murderers do as they pleased, or His power is limited, in which case he is not God.

Both from Elie Wiesel's Memoirs: All Rivers Run to the Sea, one of the most quotable books I've read.