Tennyson's Major Works

I own the Wordsworth edition, although only because it was cheap - there's no introduction or notes, and ink and paper are pretty bad. Oxford's is probably best if you like your introductions accessible yet informative, whie OUP's sounds like the best choice for the reader who wants everything and then some. I'd probably propend for the OUP edition but then, it all depends what you need it for - my general view is that the more footnotes the merrier, but not everyone will agree.

Well it's a good thing I mentioned that, because I was very close indeed to buying that massive tome. My policy has always been to buy the best possible books when reading translations from non-English languages (because, being trilingual, I know how much is lost in translation, and can't shake the feeling of being cheated of the author's style and original intent when reading translated novels) and buying English texts in the cheapest possible edition -- it's not like they're going to change the text itself. But I guess when it comes to literature of such high quality, it's worth investing properly in a decent edition -- it could, and should, after all, last you for quite some years, perhaps even your entire life, provided you're careful.

Tennyson is one of the most passionate writers I have ever had the pleasure of coming across. This stanza in his poem Maud is what inspired my user name 'CaliLily'

"There has fallen a splendid tear From the passion-flower at the gate. She is coming, my dove, my dear; She is coming, my life, my fate; The red rose cries,'She is near, she is near;' And the white rose weeps,'She is late;' The larkspur listens,'I hear, I hear;' And the lily whispers,'I wait.''

It tugs at my heart whenever I read it.

• 2 months later...