Barnes & Noble - a question for Americans

BookJumper

I have just discovered these Barnes & Noble Leathebound Classics - aren't they gorgeous? I've got the Ultimate Hitchhiker's one on the way because somehow it found its way on Amazon.co.uk, however the rest of them are out of my grasping reach.

The books themselves aren't so bad, however international P&P (in its cheapest form!) is over $7 per shipping PLUS over $5 per item... I know America's far away but this seems preposterous! I remember the days when B&N used to be affordable, back when I was little back in Italy we used to sit around as a family, circle what we wanted from their latest catalogue and eagerly wait our hamper-sized box of books.

What I wanted to ask you lovely people across the pond was this: does any of you have experience of sending parcels to the UK, and if so can you confirm that it's quite that expensive? I need to find a way around this...

*reaches for the glorious Anne Rice volume, crying*!

I have just discovered these Barnes & Noble Leathebound Classics - aren't they gorgeous? I've got the Ultimate Hitchhiker's one on the way because somehow it found its way on Amazon.co.uk, however the rest of them are out of my grasping reach.

The books themselves aren't so bad, however international P&P (in its cheapest form!) is over $7 per shipping PLUS over $5 per item... I know America's far away but this seems preposterous! I remember the days when B&N used to be affordable, back when I was little back in Italy we used to sit around as a family, circle what we wanted from their latest catalogue and eagerly wait our hamper-sized box of books.

What I wanted to ask you lovely people across the pond was this: does any of you have experience of sending parcels to the UK, and if so can you confirm that it's quite that expensive? I need to find a way around this...

*reaches for the glorious Anne Rice volume, crying*!

Unfortunately the shipping rates are pretty outrageous. I think the reason they went up so high (they didn't used to be that bad) is because of the hike in gas and all of that.

The best advice I can give is to see if any of your friends are planning on buying books and make one mass order together and split the shipping. Otherwise Barnes and Noble's website also has a sub-site where you can buy used volumes from individuals. There is a chance that the shipping may be cheaper that way (but you would want to make sure that the seller is willing to ship over to you).

Good luck! I understand how you feel about the B&N leatherbound classics. I just recently purchaced The Complete Works of Jane Austen and am in love with it!

• 3 weeks later...
It's not the $7 I've got a problem with, it's the $7 per order + $5 per item I can't afford!

If it helps, the leatherbound classics are all buy one get the second for 10.00 (U.S. sorry, I don't know the Euros conversion). With the 10.00 you save from the second one it can pretty much make you break even for the shipping.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?r=1&EAN=9781435110304

If it helps, the leatherbound classics are all buy one get the second for 10.00 (U.S. sorry, I don't know the Euros conversion). With the 10.00 you save from the second one it can pretty much make you break even for the shipping.
Oooh thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'd read this and somehow failed to make the "breaking even on the postage" connection as I'm thick like that :irked:!

Anyway, now we're talking, that's more like it (or rather, becomes a more feasible prospect for when I stop dissertating and find me a job)!

Priorities are Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicles" and Gregory Maguire's "Wicked & Son of a Witch"; all of these are books I love but the paperback editions I own feature appalling cover art - the Maguires particularly. What were they thinking??!

If Amazon persist in not shipping my copy of "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" I'll get that from here, too... suggestions for my discounted book to go with that?

Thanks for all your help you lovely people from across the pond :lol:!

Oooh thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'd read this and somehow failed to make the "breaking even on the postage" connection as I'm thick like that :irked:!

Anyway, now we're talking, that's more like it (or rather, becomes a more feasible prospect for when I stop dissertating and find me a job)!

Priorities are Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicles" and Gregory Maguire's "Wicked & Son of a Witch"; all of these are books I love but the paperback editions I own feature appalling cover art - the Maguires particularly. What were they thinking??!

If Amazon persist in not shipping my copy of "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" I'll get that from here, too... suggestions for my discounted book to go with that?

Thanks for all your help you lovely people from across the pond :lol:!

If you like Jane Austen her leatherbound complete works is absolutely beautiful! I own that one and the complete works of Shakespeare and am very happy with them!

If you like Jane Austen her leatherbound complete works is absolutely beautiful! I own that one and the complete works of Shakespeare and am very happy with them!
I was pondering the Jane Austen but I've already got my heart set on the individual Fine editions, although to my annoyance they've only done Pride and Prejudice so far; Emma is available for preorder but it's just a wild guess that they'll be issuing the others. Apparently Fine is an imprint of Oxford University Press but I can't find any list of forthcoming titles on the OUP website so... who knows??

As for a complete Shakespeare I rather wanted a copy of The Globe Illustrated Shakespeare, which is simply gorgeous (and dated, but who cares? I've got my Ardens should I need up-to-date scholarship; this is just meant to look pretty), as well as only available in the U.S.... aaargh!

I was pondering the Jane Austen but I've already got my heart set on the individual Fine editions, although to my annoyance they've only done Pride and Prejudice so far; Emma is available for preorder but it's just a wild guess that they'll be issuing the others. Apparently Fine is an imprint of Oxford University Press but I can't find any list of forthcoming titles on the OUP website so... who knows??

As for a complete Shakespeare I rather wanted a copy of The Globe Illustrated Shakespeare, which is simply gorgeous (and dated, but who cares? I've got my Ardens should I need up-to-date scholarship; this is just meant to look pretty), as well as only available in the U.S.... aaargh!

Maybe you're better off just coming over here on a shopping spree! :irked: It could be fun hitting up all the best book shops and stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

So, I decided (in view of the impending HitchCon of October 11) to buy the leather Ultimate Hitchhiker's with Wicked/Son of a Witch on the side - even though I risked not getting Hitchhiker's in time, a the shipping I can afford takes up to 15 days and I need the book in 13.

Do you want to know what happened?

The buy one get one half price offer has vanished - fine, only Hitchhiker's is really urgent. Better still, it turns out that B&N don't take British debit cards apart from Visas. So, I am meant to pay for the thing how?!

I am doomed :friends0::cry2::(!

• 2 months later...

Just a suggestion - if you wanted more than one.

If you know someone in the states - have them go to the store & buy the books.

Then have them mail the books using US Postal Service flat rate boxes. (See small flat rate)

http://shop.usps.com/wcsstore/PostalStore/upload/htm/priority_mail_holiday/

You can pack the box full & still get shipping for the price of one book through Barnes & Noble.