Black Juice - Margo Lanagan

I recently heard an interview with Neil Gaiman and he recommended this collection of short stories .. has anyone here read them?

The product description at Amazon seems rather bizarre .. but I'm intrigued.

Amazon Product Description

Short stories, no translation rights, no Australian rights, US (and first world) hardback published this month. Sometimes writing is so extraordinary that you just have to publish it. Even if it breaks all the rules. BLACK JUICE is such a collection. However few copies we sell of this book, Margo Lanagan is the sort of writer that every list has to publish if that list cares about good writing. These are stories of immense confidence, the faith they have in the believability of the worlds they describe is such that they explain nothing, concede nothing but still leave you entranced because of the beauty of the writing and the intense clarity of the characters. Whether a family singing their daughter to her death, a young boy braving pestilential angels to give his grandmother the death she deserves and himself the freedom he deserves, or clowns on a sniper spree at a clown convention these are people you believe in, peopling stories of quite extraordinary power

This sounds BRILLIANT, I'd buy it even without the Gaiman recommendation - which on its own has been enough to make me splurge on unknown titles before! Thanks for bringing this to my attention, it's been wishlisted...!

I saw this book in the bookshop borders a fair few years ago and everytime when I go in I see it and keep uming and ahing on whether to get it, it has been on my wishlist for a long time but still not bought it. So I would be interested in what you make of it if you do go ahead and read it! :)

Amazon tells me she's actually written quite a few books, which is good because if I get this and like it I'll know where to go back for more.

I will, in time, keep you posted re: my opinion as this really intrigues me; but do bear in mind that "in time" applies to me in a geological, almost biblical sense.

I've just seen another collection by Margo called 'Red Spikes' ... (ten steps to the heart .. ten tales to jab and poke at your darkest fears and deepest desires).

The cover alone is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0385613229/sr=8-1/qid=1250545406/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books&qid=1250545406&sr=8-1