The Lost Book of Salem by Katherine Howe

Janet

I'm always slightly nervous about saying I liked a book so much in case other people hate it and feel let down by my review, but I really, really enjoyed this book, even though it's fairly obvious in places.

041-2009-Aug-12-TheLostBookofSalem.jpg

The 'blurb'

While clearing out her grandmother's cottage for sale, Connie Goodwin finds a parchment inscribed with the name Deliverance Dane. And so she steps into a mystery that dates from 1692 in Salem and the infamous witchcraft trials.

Nothing is entirely as it seems, and when Connie unearths the existence of Deliverance's spell book, the Physick Book, the situation takes on a menacing edge as interested parties reveal their desperation to find this precious artefact at any cost.

What secrets does the Physick Book contain? What magic is scrawled across its parchment pages? Connie must race to answer these questions - and reveal the truth about Salem's women - before an ancient family curse fulfils its dark and devastating prophecy.

Set in 1692 and 1991, Connie, a Harvard graduate student, goes to clear out her Grandmother's house, which has stood empty for years. It is hidden from the road and has an overgrown garden containing all sorts of unusual plants. The house itself has no electricity. Whilst there, she finds a scrap of parchment in a key hidden inside an old bible with the words "Deliverance Dane" written on it, and so begins her search to find out more about this woman, and to find her 'physick' book - a book of ancient spells and recipes.

Whilst I think it's fairly obvious from the outset who the "interested party" is that is referred to in the synopsis on the back of the book, and I also guessed quite a few elements before Connie had worked them out I thought the story was excellent and one that I didn't want to stop reading, which is always the sign of a good book.

One part which I sussed out before Connie was that she was going to be related to Deliverance Dane, but I loved how she worked it out after her mother called her 'Constance' on the telephone. Her mother was called Grace. She also had people called Temperance, Mercy, Patience... in her family tree. Connie realises the connection because they all have virtue names - "their last names morphed over marriages and time, but the first names traced a genealogy that was undeniable."

I didn't really know an awful lot about the events of 1692 in Massachusetts before I started reading. Howe's research of the Salem trials is meticulous and really brought that period to life for me - I'd like to read more fiction set in this period.

I think that when people think about witches, they often imagine them to be anti-religious, bad people who go round poisoning others with eye of bat and wing of frog ( :D ) but this book shows that the 'witches' involved in the Salem trials of 1692 were really just country folk making remedies, and who were misunderstood because of the hysteria caused by a few teenage girls.

Some of the elements of magic in the modern storyline mean the reader must suspend disbelief for but as I read to be entertained as well as informed, this wasn't a problem at all

Published in the US as The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, this is Katherine Howe's debut novel. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story and I shall certainly be looking out for more of this author's work.

This sounds like a good read Janet. I might just have to get hold of a copy. I love the Witches of Salem stories and this sounds like it has a touch of conspiracy about it as well . I won't read the spoiler until I've read the book.

Thanks for the review.:D

Wonderful review, Janet! I'm SO glad you enjoyed this book :). I feel the same about wanting to read more fiction from this interesting time period.

It's amazing how much the situation got out of hand in Salem, and was really just due to the ignorance of a few people. These women accused of witchcraft seemed very well-intentioned and were basically just misunderstood.

I've read that Howe is already working on her second novel, and after that has plans for a sequel to the Salem book! Can't wait :).

I started this book yesterday evening and am surprised how quickly I'm getting through it. So far so good, although I hope it picks up speed as the plot unfolds, I find it's just a tad slow at the moment. I'll report back when I've finished it though.

btw: I'm always curious to know why book titles are different between the US and here?

Edited by SueK
update information

I know they often change covers, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of changing titles. I wonder what exactly they didn't like about 'Physick Book of Deliverance Dane?' Perhaps they thought that 'Salem' in the title might draw a more international audience, since the witch trials are widely known?

I hope you guys find some surprise funds to get your hands on a copy! It is so worth the read :lol:.

I know they often change covers, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of changing titles. I wonder what exactly they didn't like about 'Physick Book of Deliverance Dane?' Perhaps they thought that 'Salem' in the title might draw a more international audience, since the witch trials are widely known?

I hope you guys find some surprise funds to get your hands on a copy! It is so worth the read :lol:.

I have added the book to my shopping basket on amazon, so I am poised to go! :lol:

I have recently added this to my reading list. I picked it up in a charity shop last week on the last day of my holiday. I was really drawn to it but didn't choose to buy it and have regretted it since. I'll have to hound the librarians for this one :D

Well, I have to say I'm really getting into this book now. Unfortunately, I didn't get to read much over the weekend, a minor event called The Ashes kept me from doing very much to be honest;), so I'm looking forward to getting back to it.

• 8 months later...

I noticed at work this morning that this book has now been re-released under its US title The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

I wonder why they have chosen to do that? I wondered if it was something to do with them filming it, but it's not listed on imdb.com. Hmmm.

I noticed at work this morning that this book has now been re-released under its US title The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

I wonder why they have chosen to do that? I wondered if it was something to do with them filming it, but it's not listed on imdb.com. Hmmm.

Probably so people will buy it thinking it's something new :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am slightly obsessed with reading anything and everything about Salem and the witch trials...I find it absolutely fascinating (I've also been to Salem twice) this was indeed a good book! Another one I liked on the subject was The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (she was also a descendent along with Howe), and I also have The Crucible by Arthur Miller here....somewhere....which I seem to have misplaced for the moment...:blush:

• 1 month later...

I was catching up with some old episodes of Open Book the other day (probably over a year old) and they had Katherine Howe and John Sutherland on discussing this book. I'd remembered that a lot of you had read it, and listening to the interview has piqued my interest again, so I've added to my wishlist.

I was catching up with some old episodes of Open Book the other day (probably over a year old) and they had Katherine Howe and John Sutherland on discussing this book. I'd remembered that a lot of you had read it, and listening to the interview has piqued my interest again, so I've added to my wishlist.

It's a wonderful book, Chesil, and I really hope you get to read it soon!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I tweeted an invite to Kathrine Howe last night to come and visit the BCF and guess what.....She replied! She actually replied, I was gobsmacked :o She's the first author to reply to me. She said thanks for the invite and would check it out! How cool is that? I hope she does visit :D