Tess by Thomas Hardy

s.gal83

I had to read this book for my GCE A level literature examination.

However, I really enjoy the book.

I just feel it is a pity that Tess died in the end. I also find it sad that her baby died and was not given a proper burial.

Edited by Chrissy

• 1 year later...

I read Tess at A level and I found it a very enjoyable and rewarding experience. The book is very very sensuous using imagery as a tool to overcome censure. Hardy himself was a tragic figure who seems to have fallen in love with his heroine, because of this the love is always powerful but doomed in all of his stories.

This type of doomed love was fairly typical of the time as shown in Charlotte Bronte's Wuthering Heights another powerful novel read at A level which is well worth a look at.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I really enjoyed Tess. I've read quite a few books in this genre but Tess is one of my favourites because of how well it is written and because the plot is engaging. Tess was probably my favourite character, I really felt sorry for her and her situation.

I think the book shows well the double standards that prevailed in the Victorian Era regarding sex before marriage and how it impacted on Tess' life.

• 1 year later...

Tess is one of my favourite novels.  I do like the challenge that Hardy places with it in regards to the themes and the ending I feel could be no other way. It is extremely modern for its time and shows the author's disgust at the society in which he lives as well as the progressions that are taking place. 

• 2 months later...

I downloaded the full works of Thomas Hardy yesterday on my Kindle for £1.92 (including his plays, poems and critical essays about him). I am need of some good literature to  digest so will make a start on Tess very shortly.

• 8 years later...
On 28/04/2021 at 11:16 PM, KEV67 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Decided to spoiler quote this, just in case someone is at that part and works out the ending from it. But yes...

Spoiler

although I think it was clever for him to have Tess die like a sacrificial lamb on the alter, I still haven't quite forgiven Hardy for that ending! I don't think I can bring myself to re-read it!

• 1 year later...