George R.R Martin

s.gal83

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to know I've got company in actually preferring "traditional" book-books, folks. :smile:

When I eventually get a Kindle-or-whatever it'd certainly be handy for such problem books,holidays etc.,  but I wouldn't be using it everyday.

In fact a second hand one would suit me just fine! Must have a sniff about for one ...  :menu-Readpaper2:  

Nice to know I've got company in actually preferring "traditional" book-books, folks. :smile:

When I eventually get a Kindle-or-whatever it'd certainly be handy for such problem books,holidays etc.,  but I wouldn't be using it everyday.

In fact a second hand one would suit me just fine! Must have a sniff about for one ...  :menu-Readpaper2:  

Good to hear it! I've tried reading on a Kindle, and although it's handy and I do actually seem to read quicker . . . it's just not the same. :)

Anyone read the chapter from Winds of a Winter?

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

I'm still not sure whether to read it, or wait for the book to be released..

Oh, I don't know, we could be waiting a while. :lol: I remember I read the excerpt from Dance with Dragons when he first posted it, years ago. When I finally got to read the book I got really confused at that point and wondered why I felt like I'd read it before. :giggle2:

There are several non-GoT novels in The Works at the moment (3 for a fiver).

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Can't wait to go and look. :D

The first Wild Cards book in the series im reading is brilliant. An alien Virus infects people on earth & either kills you, turns you into a freak or turns you into someone with special powers. Its edited by George Martin with each story being written by different authors but all interlocking.

There are several non-GoT novels in The Works at the moment (3 for a fiver).

Cheers, Raven, you've cost me a fortune! :giggle2: I ended up going a little crazy on The Works website and got GRRM's Fevre Dream and Tuf Voyaging - can't wait to read both! (Along with the other 21 non-GRRM fantasy books I also bought . . .) :giggle2:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/mar/20/game-of-thrones-multiple-movies-george-rr-martin-franchise

Just what he needs - something else to distract him from finishing the books :doh:

:doh:

I worry that, in a film, all those brilliant dialogue scenes that characterise the series will be lost. I reckon they'd cut a whole bunch of the 'slower' parts out completely, when in reality they are what make the TV show special. :(

^ Won't that give him time to finish the books though? (given films take a few years to make an' all . . .).

True, true . . . but imagine, a 10-hour TV series (or 20, if they split the last ones into 2) vs. a 3-hour film? I know which one I'd pick. :D

At least GRRM has told the TV show producers what he plans to happen at the end of the series, just in case something happens to him! :giggle2:

True, true . . . but imagine, a 10-hour TV series (or 20, if they split the last ones into 2) vs. a 3-hour film? I know which one I'd pick. :D

The article says "multiple" films, not just one.  I think having started on TV the story should stay and end there, but at the same time a movie budget would enable them to make the series even more epic.  A double-edged throne of swords?

The article says "multiple" films, not just one.  I think having started on TV the story should stay and end there, but at the same time a movie budget would enable them to make the series even more epic.  A double-edged throne of swords?

Totally agree it should stay on TV . . . but both TV and films have their merits, I guess. Hopefully as the series gains in momentum he will end up with a big enough budget for what he wants to do?

HBO have said the show will run for seven seasons.

I agree - I think moving the story from small screen to big screen is a bizarre idea.  The ongoing nature of the plot(s) will likely mean the movies will have trouble pulling in audiences who've never seen the series.  What are they going to do, have a half hour recap at the start of the first film? :lol:  Plus, as Laura said, all the talking heads scenes that dominate the tv show would bore the average multiplex audience to tears. 

I don't think it would give his lordship more time to finish the books at all - if anything, he'd just spend more of his time on the screenplays, casting, production design, blah blah blah :rolleyes:  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings and A Storm of Swords 1: Steel and Snow, all of which I really enjoyed. I've got the rest of the books to read, and then of course it's waiting for the next books in the series.

I fell in love with the show about 8 months ago and I had to go out and buy the books. I've since read the first 2 books of the series AGOT & ACOK. it's such a deep story, it's hard not to get addicted. While reading it, it literally feels like you're slipping into the world of Westeros. It's amazing.

But, after finishing book 2, I had to take a short break from the series so I picked up this other novel called Remembering Sarah.. But once I finish, I do plan to get started where I left off on book 3 of Game of Thrones

Yeah, it's so awesome. I noticed I always tend to have the Game of Thrones wikia page open while reading, incase I need to research a Lord or Noble House who I come across in the books lol. There's just so much detail and you don't want to miss a thing of it! And thanks

Edited by UnderTheDome40

You've come to the right place, Storynutter - there's nothing like reading about all the great books about today to make the urge too much to resist. :smile:  

Try arranging yourself a short book-nook during the day, or last thing at night. Just fifteen minutes is very refreshing. ;)  

I was watching The Writer's Room on Netlfix the other day (I totally recommend it) and they did an episode on Game of Thrones. There are only two writers/producers for the show and before George Martin let them get the rights to make the show they had to answer who they thought Jon Snow's mother was. I guess they got it right and the show is fantastic. 

I loved the books despite not being super interested in fantasy books.