George R.R Martin

s.gal83

I've read all the books out so far but I think I will stop now that the tv show is past them. I find his writing slow at times and it isn't until you get to the last quarter of his books that the action starts to pick up. The only reason I kept reading them was that they had more information that the tv show hadn't gotten to but now that I don't have to rely on them anymore I won't pick them up.

Edited by J. A. Haag

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen seasons 1 - 4 and a few episodes of season 5. I liked book 5 less than the other books, but I'm still curious how it will all end. I do plan on watching the rest of season 5 some time and I'm awaiting the 6th book. I'm not sure if I want to see season 6 or not, because I might prefer to read about it first. But it seems the author is more busy with the TV shows than with writing the book, at least, after 5 years there's still no word on any release date (and I'd wait for the medium sized paperback release).

Book 5 is my least favourite as well, and I think the 5th series was also pretty weak.  But series 6 was excellent overall (there were a few storylines I wasn't keen on, mainly Arya's as I found it a bit repetitive) but apart from that it was great, worth watching ,especially as I think we might as well give up on the 6th book arriving before the next series!  Unless he surprises us all and springs it on us suddenly.

I gave up on GRRM and GoT after the second book. The books tend to drag on forever with not much happening until the end and if you mix in bad writing, you get some books that bored me to death. I don't understand the big "wow" factor when it comes to him killing his characters. It's nothing new in literature and sometimes it just feels like it's a cheap way of solving a story related issue. People have been telling me that it gets better later but if it's not good after 1200 pages, than I'm not interested in reading the rest. 

I only saw the first season of the show and was not impressed. Adding tits and violence to a show does not make it mature, but quite the opposite. 

I decided to purchase the audio from Amazon.com. I'm doing the 30 free trial on Audible. I can play it anywhere. I have the books just never sat down to read them so this might help get my feet wet on the series. I haven't seen the show because I wanted to do the book first, almost gave in last month when the dvd was made available through my library. 

Do we actually know if there is another book coming in this series? Maybe it's just a rumour to keep interest in the books going?

I do agree with Mr. Cat ... making the t.v. series a trashy version of the books does nothing for author or (most) fans.

Do we actually know if there is another book coming in this series? Maybe it's just a rumour to keep interest in the books going?

As far as I know, GRRM originally planned on a 7-book series. According to Wikipedia there are 7 books planned. According to GRRM's website an excerpt for The Winds of Winter was released, which is book 6. So I'm sure book 6 at least is planned.

If you don't think much happens then wait til you get to Book 3....and killing off characters does move things along, it's certainly a game changer for some of those left behind.  I agree Book 2 is a bit stodgy, but does pick up towards the end.

I used to be a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire - I enjoyed the writing style and thought the story lines were very well done. It re-sparked my interest in Fantasy, and I was really looking forward to The Winds of Winter.

Since the TV series has outpaced the story lines within the novels however, I am not sure if I will read The Winds of Winter when it is eventually released. As much as I enjoy reading Martins work, I already have an idea of where each characters storyline will be heading, and I feel that the TV series is such a a good adaptation of the books, that I don't think I would get much out of reading the rest of the series. I may as well just watch the TV episodes.

I think it is a pity the release of The Winds of Winter has been delayed for so long. However, I guess it has given time for the fan base to grow from the TV series, which seems to be doing incredibly well. Personally, I can't remember much of the books any more as I read them so long ago.