George R.R Martin

s.gal83

I love A Song of Ice and Fire series for intricacy of the story and complexity of the characters. G.R.R. Martin certainly has a deft hand at world-building.

I know Martin gets tired of people griping about the length of time between books, and the rumblings of The Winds of Winter never seeing the light of day, but...please hurry up and finish the book...We're dying here!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the series so long ago, I think I will need to read a quick summary of what has happened so far before beginning the new book - once it is released. Has a publication date been released?

I read the series so long ago, I think I will need to read a quick summary of what has happened so far before beginning the new book - once it is released. Has a publication date been released?

How far did you get in the series? And no, the Winds of Winter still just says "Forthcoming" but I'm almost positive it should be out before the summer of 2015. The last one 'A Dance With Dragons' was released in 2011.

How far did you get in the series? And no, the Winds of Winter still just says "Forthcoming" but I'm almost positive it should be out before the summer of 2015. The last one 'A Dance With Dragons' was released in 2011.

I've read up to A Dance With Dragons. I hope it's out by next year.. or at least before I graduate!

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that there was a big conversation about Cersei earlier in this thread and I'm sad I missed it. She is one of my favorite people to talk about in the series because it's hard to take her side, but it's also hard to blame her for everything she's done. Such an interesting character. 

• 1 month later...

^ Yeah, 'cause these people who try to make money - and a living - out of their own property when it does well, really should be taken out and shot . . .

ffs.

I had another flick though it today and it looks pretty good.  I've no idea how much is new content -  not having bought or read it yet - but it looks like a good companion piece either way.  I wouldn't spend £30.00 on it myself, but £15.00 for an illustrated hardback is more than reasonable in my book ('scuse the pun).

Edited by Raven

Do you know how much original material is in it? Seems a lot like a money grabbing attempt to me.

I had a look in Waterstones and there does seem to be a lot of new writing in it, but the fact that much of it is written by GRRM fanboys rather than GRRM himself puts me off buying it. :rolleyes:

I had a look in Waterstones and there does seem to be a lot of new writing in it, but the fact that much of it is written by GRRM fanboys rather than GRRM himself puts me off buying it. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's what worried me, I had a quick look at it, it is certainly well presented with some great art work.

I assume most of it will be explanation of the history that is either implied or just hinted at in the books as well as the larger world such as Dunk and Egg. But it would be interesting if there is something more in there as well.

• 2 months later...

That's a shame :(. Though I guess not entirely unexpected. It is nice he's not rushing to get the novel out quicker and then it might be a worse book for it, but I do hope it won't be too long before we read the next book, as I'm curious what is going to happen next in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind that he takes his time in making his books error-free and solid writing, but with the number of intricate details and connected storylines in his books it is hard to remember EVERYTHING when there are large gaps between each new book. 

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

They can probably borrow some of George's, he appears to have enough to go around.

I just read this here at work, and got some funny looks in the office for laughing at the screen!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried some of his other books? He seems to have written plenty before Game of Thrones.

I have Fevre Dream lying around here and I'm wondering if I should give it a go.

I only red Game of Thrones. I liked his style of writing, but found it a little exausting. All the misery, so many characters to keep track of and political intrige, which I'm never a fan of. I tried Feast for Crows after, but I couldn't get into it. So I wonder if his older books are in a similar vein, or something completely diferent.

Has anyone tried some of his other books? He seems to have written plenty before Game of Thrones.

I have Fevre Dream lying around here and I'm wondering if I should give it a go.

I only red Game of Thrones. I liked his style of writing, but found it a little exausting. All the misery, so many characters to keep track of and political intrige, which I'm never a fan of. I tried Feast for Crows after, but I couldn't get into it. So I wonder if his older books are in a similar vein, or something completely diferent.

Fevre Dream is really good. It's difficult to explain why, as I read it many years ago but I do remember that I found it compelling stuff. I've not read any others of his though.

I think Martin is the great modern genius of the fantasy genre. He has taken it in new mature directions that while true to fantasy tropes, also remain true to history in their own way, and offer a new platform on which to study the human condition.

That said, I've moved off the books and onto the TV series because I'm tired of waiting and I need a fix. I also find NF books tend to hold my attention longer than fiction.