Jasper Fforde

A little factoid I just unearthed is the Jasper plans to write one more book in the NCD series - The Last Great Tortoise Race: this will be the final one in that series.

For some reason I had thought Fforde was stopping at two books in the NCD series, so this is great news!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodreads has posted an interview with Jasper Fforde, that you all might be interested in. Having just finished reading it, I must say I'm really looking forward to reading Shades of Grey! It sounds a bit dystopian. :lol:

I just have to quote this bit from the interview:

For The Last Great Tortoise Race [Nursery Crime #3], I'm not sure when that's coming out. It depends, I suppose, really on whether I want to write Shades of Grey #2 or another Nursery Crime.

How cool would it be to get to make the decision which brilliant book you want to write to next!

Yes, I kept thinking of Giulia while reading how he works. Any similarities between the two of you, Giulia?

I've still only read the first two Thursday books and 1 NCD. I really want to get to the rest of them but I never seem to find the time!

Yes, I kept thinking of Giulia while reading how he works. Any similarities between the two of you, Giulia?

Flatterer:lurker: although... there seem to be a lot of similarities, actually. They are:

1. I also prefer to take my leap into genres/ideas/types without too much foreknowledge of my predecessors and contemporaries - I do my own thing.

2. I also have recently discovered the difficulties inherent in making characters and places up rather than borrowing them; like Jasper I'm finding it hard but challenging.

3. I am also very critical of my past work, which hopefully shows I'm getting better.

4. The current draft of the current novel is the first thing in my entire writing life I'm planning with 'chapter headings and writing exactly what happens in each chapter.'

5. I also borrow ideas from everyone, everywhere and across all sorts of mediums.

Should wish to comment on the above, they might want to do it in my designated thread here - my Mod senses tell me this could go rather off-topic :lol:!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how weird I'm being here but does anybody have a bit of a crush on Jasper? I met him yesterday and he had this whole glasses half down the nose thing going on.

Am I confusing my enjoyment of his work with a love of his face? It's never happened before, but there's always a first time!:welcome:

I can see where you're coming from Cookie - I met him tonight and he reminded me of a slightly more ginger Hugh Laurie, which is no bad thing :D. He was lovely, signed & dedicated all my books (SoG and TNs 1-4) to 'Giulia the BookJumper' and said that if I send him back the books with my name spelt wrong he'll replace them with new ones, which is decent of him.

I usually don't get very deep with authors for fear of making a fool of myself with people I look up to; today I decided not to be a chicken so after the signatures and the picture (coming soon) I hovered and hovered and eventually blurted out, 'You asked before about whether there were any fiction writers in the room, I just wanted to say that you've given this budding fiction writer a lot of inspiration over the past few years.'

When he wished me luck, I continued, 'Maybe in a few years' time I'll be giving a talk to the Fforde Society about the influence you've had on my work' [tonight's event being held by the Lewis Carroll Society for Jasper to talk about the influence Carroll had had on his work].

Then I fled in a flurry of embarrassment:lurker:.

Edited by BookJumper

Wow, he's going to replace all those books? That's very nice of him, Giulia. I'm so proud of you for having the courage to speak up like that. I'm such a wuss that I would never have been able to do it, so I really admire you :D I bet he loved hearing that too. :D

Did he give a talk or was he just doing a signing? How many people turned up?

It was an hour and a bit of talk/questions and then the signing commenced. I wish I'd said more to him now, for all my wordsmithery I'm a very shy person socially so it took a lot of pluck even to say that - I do hope he was pleased Kylie, though I was too busy fleeing to tell :D. I'll prepare psychologically for the release of One of Our Thursdays is Missing, rehearse lots of witty things to say; I reckon a year of planning should do it.

I didn't speak up as such... what happened was, I had a piece of paper saying 'Note spelling: Giulia the BookJumper' on top of my pile and when I handed it all over I just explained that I wanted to make sure because the books I'd ordered from his website all had my name spelt wrong. To which he said he'd replace them, which was indeed very nice of him :lol: I'll be sending them off on Monday and eagerly await the package that will make me the possessor of Jasper's signed and dedicated opera omnia - talk about pleased with myself. He put 'the BookJumper' in different places on the page on the various books, too, which was a touch I liked.

Awww, I'm sorry I made you jealous CW :D didn't mean to!

Finished reading 'Shades of Grey'. Jasper has excelled himself. The world he has created is well thought out, the characters are sharply drawn and there is the the expected humour and eccentricity. He has created a sinister dystopia in which creative thought is discouraged, absolute obedience to the rules is demanded except if you are in a position to bend them, corruption is rife. Technology has been steadily cut back by a process called Leapback, each Leapback involving a regression to an earlier technology.

The places mentioned in the novel relate to existing places after some deduction :) I've worked out two of them so far

I rate this highly and look forward to the next in the series 'Painting by Numbers'

• 4 months later...

First of all - I'm very happy for you my dear :blush:.

Second of all - I hate you I hate you I hate you :lol: Jasper was wearing one when he gave that talk at the Lewis Carroll Society and I made a spoon of myself due to too much adoration, and since then I have wanted one badly. But alas,

New Jasper book. His first children's novel. The Last Dragonslayer. Due in UK November 10th. YIPPEEEEEE!
OMG, I only just noticed this!! First of all, *dances about happily*. Second of all - Jasper really isn't happy unless he's juggling a gazillion series, now is he? Just how does he do it?! His books are so intricate I don't think I could keep track of their plotlines one at a time, let alone several at once... *sigh* I wanna steal that man's brainpower, he's too clever for his own good.

• 8 months later...

I know I've been banging on about it forever, but the new Thursday Next book, One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing is out on Tuesday, and BBC News have posted a video interview with Jasper in their Meet The Author segment on the website if anyone is interested. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12516121

Oooh, linky :) shiny.

I am rather dismayed though - February was meant to be the marathon month when I finished The Last Dragonslayer (which is brilliant so far, by the way), re-read TN1 and TN2, wrapped up TN3 and got through TN4 and TN5 before the release of One of Our Thursdays Is Missing. Except, I've been ill pretty much all month and have succeeded in none of the above - AAAAAAAAARGH!

What is one to do?! Not that I've got much choice. I'll go and support Jasper when he comes to Birmingham on the 28th, get my copy of TN6 signed in pretty hardback even if it will mess up my shelves, and line it up. Thankfully he's the rare kind of author I trust enough to buy anything by even though I'm not up to speed with the catalogue.