Jasper Fforde

Thank you ever so much Giulia, I kind of knew you'd come to my rescue! :irked:

Haha, poor Decca Executive! I feel bad for them, just like they must feel bad for themselves. I think the 'Decckian's' is a very fine word for it, I shall remember it! Still, I feel more sympathy towards Fforde, because he wasn't rejected once, he wasn't rejected twice, and not even three times. 76!! How can there be 76 idiotic people in the world? I hope they were demoted to making coffee for the more qualified literary agents.

Giulia, do you think you could explain where on Earth I have gotten the impression that Lost in a Good Book is mainly about Alice in Wonderland?? I even bought the book so I could read it before getting into the Good Book! Oy vey!

I'm glad I've already read Kafka's The Trial because otherwise that might put me off from continuing my journey with Fforde... :D

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't feel too bad for the Decca Executive, after he was fired he wrote a book aptly called The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away and it's been feeding him ever since :D!

It actually inspired me greatly when I read that it took Jasper 76 rejections, 11 years and 6 books to get published: I have since vowed not to despair until my rejection count hits at least that; for, if 76 people could overlook Fforde's genius, God knows a few might overlook mine :D!

I think the problem Fforde actually encountered though is that publishers, like music and telly and film execs, don't give the public enough credit. Anything that's a bit odd and niche is frowned upon, even though odd and niche markets are known to have the most loyal fanbases :(.

I wouldn't say Lost in a Good Book is based mainly around Alice in Wonderland, however reading it can't hurt, as the Cheshire Cat does feature quite heavily.

ETA: I haven't read Great Expectations or The Trial, just as I'm yet to read Jane Eyre :irked: which just goes to show that as long as you're generally well-read and are familiar with the plot and gist of things, you can blag it a fair bit. Undoubtedly, however, the way you're doing it makes sense and will enhance your enjoyment of the series.

I've said before that I'm actually afraid of reading Great Expectations now, as I'm afraid Dickens's Miss Havisham might not live up to Fforde's... how much of a compliment is that?!

Edited by BookJumper

Don't feel too bad for the Decca Executive, after he was fired he wrote a book aptly called The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away and it's been feeding him ever since :D!

Now I cannot help but feel the utmost annoyance! Of course he had to try and make money out of the Beatles in one way or another so why not tell the story of how he did not think they were the real deal. Why not manifest the biggest mistake he's ever made careerwise? Well at least I hope it's a good, well-written book.

It actually inspired me greatly when I read that it took Jasper 76 rejections, 11 years and 6 books to get published: I have since vowed not to despair until my rejection count hits at least that; for, if 76 people could overlook Fforde's genius, God knows a few might overlook mine :irked:!

Wow, that's another way of looking at it, I had never thought about it that way myself! Indeed there are no excuses for you or anyone to give up :D

I think the problem Fforde actually encountered though is that publishers, like music and telly and film execs, don't give the public enough credit. Anything that's a bit odd and niche is frowned upon, even though odd and niche markets are known to have the most loyal fanbases :(.

Yes perhaps the odd markets have the most loyal fanbases but I suppose the publishers think that they are such a marginal group that it doesn't pay off as well as the mainstream novels that are bought by the larger masses. I guess I can't blame them, they are a moneymaking business just like the rest of them.

Oh good, I haven't bought Alice in Wonderland in vain! :D For some reason I'm dreading reading the book. I've heard small snippets of the story as a child but I always thought it was too freaky for me.

I have to say that in my opinion, it makes so much difference if one's read Jane Eyre before reading The Eyre Affair. I'd read the original Eyre in 2000 so it's been some time ago and I didn't remember all the details of the plot so well. When I was reading The Eyre Affair, the Eyre story was told very differently from the original and I was thinking, have I totally lost it because I don't remember this happening? Then the characters in Eyre Affair book actually meddled with the original story and their mishappenings changed the whole plot and made the Jane Eyre the way it really has always been, in the actual world of novels that we read. That was the thing that impressed me the most, I was completely blown away. If I hadn't read Jane Eyre I would never have noticed this.

Oh ******** I didn't know about Great Expectations, now I need to read that too asap. Well I was going to read all the Dickens novels anyway at some point or another but I wasn't going to do that so soon.

I've said before that I'm actually afraid of reading Great Expectations now, as I'm afraid Dickens's Miss Havisham might not live up to Fforde's... how much of a compliment is that?!

That's a great compliment to Fforde but not so much for poor Dickens :D

Well at least I hope it's a good, well-written book.
I wouldn't know, I've never read it in protest. Always made a point to avoid him at conventions too, the bandwagony slimeball :irked:!

Indeed there are no excuses for you or anyone to give up
Precisely; I see many posts by authors who rant and rail against the system on the Amazon forums and it always reminds me of Fforde's perseverance and I think, if these people spent half the time writing and editing and approaching people than they do complaining, they might get somewhere :D. Besides, in the Utopia in my head a Writer writes because they have and want to, with the possibility of being published but an added bonus. Writing purely for financial gain just drags one down to the Decckian level, wouldn't you say?

Yes perhaps the odd markets have the most loyal fanbases but I suppose the publishers think that they are such a marginal group that it doesn't pay off as well as the mainstream novels that are bought by the larger masses. I guess I can't blame them, they are a moneymaking business just like the rest of them.
They should see the bigger picture, though: while less people might buy The Eyre Affair as opposed to something more mainstream, anyone who does buy The Eyre Affair is nigh on guaranteed to want to buy anything else this prolific man might produce in the future. It's an, ah, long-term investment I feel :(.

As for Alice, et. al - I think as long as you know the story, you'll be ok. The reason why Fforde's Havisham is such an independent creation in my mind is that not only I haven't read the book, but I haven't seen it adapted for any other medium, either. I've never read Alice, however I've seen the Disney film hundreds of times and therefore have a mental image of the Cat; I haven't read Jane Eyre, yet I know Zeffirelli's film off my heart and was thus able to tell when Fforde was tweaking his source material.

ETA: Sorry, Dickens. I will read you some day, I promise.

I wouldn't know, I've never read it in protest. Always made a point to avoid him at conventions too, the bandwagony slimeball :D!

Oh I wouldn't dream of knowing anyone who's actually read the book: I just hope it's good for the sake of the people who've actually gone and bought the book! I'm not much of a Beatles enthusiastic myself but I know many who are and take offence on ex-Decckians trying to cash in on the Beatles on behalf of my Beatles loving friends.

Precisely; I see many posts by authors who rant and rail against the system on the Amazon forums and it always reminds me of Fforde's perseverance and I think, if these people spent half the time writing and editing and approaching people than they do complaining, they might get somewhere :(.

In their defence I have to say that it must be a frustrating choice of profession. You can spend years writing and rewriting and never get published, even though you've managed to write something readable. I suppose they feel the need to vent. And who knows, maybe someone becomes interested in their novel that way :irked: But that must depend on what kind of language one's using when venting, no use offending all the instances that are in charge of the publishing world :D

Besides, in the Utopia in my head a Writer writes because they have and want to, with the possibility of being published but an added bonus. Writing purely for financial gain just drags one down to the Decckian level, wouldn't you say?

I agree with you 100% on this one. I've always felt that true, great writers always write, want to write, and feel the need to write whether they get published or not. And while I also agree that 'writing purely for financial gain just drags one down to the Decckian level' like you so finely put it, we cannot forget that writers also need money to survive just like the rest of us. And there's nothing wrong with trying to promote your book so as to make financial ends meet. But that's all down to ethics: If you think you've written the most amazing book that deserves to be read but are humble enough to think that maybe, just maybe it's all in your head and it might never come to nothing, then I think you are entitled to do whatever to get published and recognised. Because it's the story that is so amazing that you want it to be shared with others. If one only promotes to hear chi-ching in their bank account, well I think we know what we think about those scoundrels. But I'm getting totally sidetracked here!

Ah, I see your dilemma with Havisham and Dickens. But perhaps you can do without reading Great Expectations? :D

Replies to your excellent points will be made in my very own thread, how about that :irked:!

Back on track, I do want to read GE at some point, I'm just a bit fearful as Fforde's Havisham jumps out of the page with such force I don't want that image tampered with. However, Fforde evidently loves Dickens and (from the bits I've read) so do I, therefore I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. I must say that I'm eagerly waiting to read Something Rotten and First Among Sequels, as these two should define how much of a difference it makes to be acquainted with the source material first-hand.

Hi guys...hope you don't mind me joining the discussion..

Bookjumper, having read GE, I think I can put your mind somewhat at rest, as Miss havisham's character is pretty forcefull in the original too!!

'A wee bit 'crazy', a woman scorned (and then some!!), manipulative, completely focussed on her own ends....' sound a little familiar??

I'm looking forward to comparing the two!

Don't feel too bad for the Decca Executive, after he was fired he wrote a book aptly called The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away and it's been feeding him ever since :irked:!

Dickens' Miss Havisham is still very forceful, but in a completely different way. To be honest, I had a small problem with Fforde's Miss Havisham. Actually I find it hard to reconcile his version of any of the literary characters with the originals. But I think that's the only problem I have with Fforde.

Oh I wouldn't dream of knowing anyone who's actually read the book

Well, that's something you'll never have to say again, Frankie, because I own the book and I've read it. :( I bought it secondhand, and it wasn't too bad, as I recall. I have a tendency to buy most things written by The Beatles 'inner circle' rather than bios written by people who had nothing to do with them and are just rehashing everybody else's stories.

Dickens' Miss Havisham is still very forceful, but in a completely different way. To be honest, I had a small problem with Fforde's Miss Havisham. Actually I find it hard to reconcile his version of any of the literary characters with the originals. But I think that's the only problem I have with Fforde.

Kylie have you read all of the Fforde books already?

Well, that's something you'll never have to say again, Frankie, because I own the book and I've read it. :D I bought it secondhand, and it wasn't too bad, as I recall. I have a tendency to buy most things written by The Beatles 'inner circle' rather than bios written by people who had nothing to do with them and are just rehashing everybody else's stories.

You surprise me Kylie :lol: I did have you in mind as well as a couple of other die hard Beatles fans when I was ranting about the Decckians but I guess I have to 'shut it' now that I know you've read the book and enjoyed it, at least to some extent. But I think you also made a good point: that executive is in the inner circle, having listened to their music and having not taken them on. He must have been keeping a very close eye on them when they made it big, thinking "what was I thinking??" late at night in bed. Tossing and turning. And tossing.

I've only read the first two. I have all the others though, and I'm still looking forward to reading them. I was thinking mostly about Miss Havisham and the characters from Jane Eyre when I made my post. :lol:

Having put the 'thursday next' series firmly on my christmas wishlist, I couldn't wait for my next Fforde 'hit', so went down to the library today and took out the first two 'Nursery Crime ' novels.

And DI Spratt's won me over already!! Purely through him driving an Allegro!!!:D.

This was my dad's car of choice when I was a kid, and we spent more time 'pushing' it than 'driving' in it!! Great memories.:D

• 2 weeks later...