Jasper Fforde

I saw "The Fourth Bear" recently and was tempted to buy it (nice cover!), never having read any Jasper Fforde. Now I'm totally confused! Thursday Next or Nursery Crimes? Knowing me, I'll probably end up buying both.

Well, i started off with the Nursery Crimes books (and loved them both) and have now moved onto the Thursday Next series. Fforde's writing is very clever as well as being highly entertaining. I hope you'll give him a try (if you're going for Nursery Crime, start with The Big Over Easy, if you're going with TN, start with The Eyre Affair).

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
I checked out at the Library today Jasper Fforde's latest book........."Thursday Next - First Among Sequels". I am looking forward to starting the book tonight.

I finished reading the book tonight. Jasper did a brilliant job of writing. Louiseog was 100% correct, I was not disappointed. Great storyline and reading. I recommend it wholeheartedly to fans of Jasper Fforde.

Fforde has an excellent understanding of literature and uses it exceptionally well in his books. He really knows how to group certain Book Genres, especially the Erotic novel genre. ;) From his current book:

A few Genre realignments

Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods has been moved from nonfiction to fiction and Orwell's 1984 is no longer truly fiction, so has been reallocated to nonfiction. Vonnegut's The Sirens of Titan is no longer Sci-Fi but philosophy.

The subgenre of Literary Smut has finally been disbanded , with Fanny Hill and Molly Flanders being transferred to Racy Novel and Lady Chatterley's Lover to Human Drama.

The History of Tom Jones is now in Romantic Comedy, and The Story of O is part of the Erotic Novel genre, as are Lolita and The Autobiography of a Flea. Orwell's Animal Farm belongs not just to the Allegorical and Political genres but has been expanded to be part of Animal Drama and Juvenilia as well.

I have only read The Well of Lost Plots because it got a "something something Wodehouse something" award and I loved it. The librarian where I work saved me the CD's of The Eyre Affair and I've started listening to it.

Read that he had trouble getting it published at first. It's a fun test of what one knows about literature and I sometimes miss the joke.

I have only read The Well of Lost Plots because it got a "something something Wodehouse something" award and I loved it. The librarian where I work saved me the CD's of The Eyre Affair and I've started listening to it.

Read that he had trouble getting it published at first. It's a fun test of what one knows about literature and I sometimes miss the joke.

You are correct as it does test one's knowledge of literature and I also sometimes miss all of the satire. I read Fforbe's The Eyre Affair and it got me so curious that I then went and read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

I really think that Fforde is pretty brilliant and his latest book is excellent.

Jane Eyre is one that I liked very much but it was so long ago that I don't remember the ending not having her and Mr Rochester get together - too many film versions out there.

I like all the bickering about Shakespeare and Bacon. Don't know much about that dispute and hope "The Eyre Affair" is getting it right. I might refer to it someday.

• 2 months later...

I finished 'The Well of Lost Plots' last week, I did like it but it was somewhat lacking compared to the first two books, it has not put me off though, I just ordered 'Something rotten' from Amazon.:readingtwo:

• 11 months later...

Anyone excited about Fforde's new novel 'Shades of Grey'?

I've read the synopsis on his site and it already caught my attention!

We just have to wait until the end of this year!

Check his website for more info. (I would post the link here, but i haven't posted enough yet.)

Jane Eyre is one that I liked very much but it was so long ago that I don't remember the ending not having her and Mr Rochester get together - too many film versions out there

Neither did I at first, but then I realised that there's no such thing as an ending where Jane and Rochester don't get together, except in Thursday's 1985 which is alternative to our own - until she goes into the book and changes it from what she knows as "Jane Eyre" into what we know as Jane Eyre! Genius.

And Smay, "Shades of Grey" sounds indeed awesome. If only I didn't have to finish "The Well of Lost Plots" and read "Something Rotten" and "First Among Sequels", as well as the "Nursey Crime" books first!! Damn you, you prolific Jasper...!

Edited by BookJumper

So is Shades of Gray a Thursday Next novel or a Nursery Crime novel? Either way I'm excited! I just finished Big Over Easy and hope to read Fourth Bear next month. Jasper Fforde is hilarious!!!!

So is Shades of Gray a Thursday Next novel or a Nursery Crime novel? Either way I'm excited! I just finished Big Over Easy and hope to read Fourth Bear next month. Jasper Fforde is hilarious!!!!

As far as I know, it's something new, and is neither Thursday Next or Nursery Crime. There a very short excerpt on his website here.

But he is also writing a new sequel to the Thursday Next series. It should be published in 2010.

Can someone please tie Jasper's hand behind his back while I catch up with the back catalogue? He writes them faster than I can read them!!

• 7 months later...

Hello fellow Fforde admirers!

Since there are quite a few Fforde fans on here who keep throwing that name around here every now and then I've started to think about finally getting into the series for real. I've already read The Eyre Affair and I have to say that though I wasn't not a huge fan of the fantastic before (because I think I'm too stupid or don't have the recommended imagination capacity for it), this book made it very easy for me to start liking the fantasy genre. Having read the original Jane Eyre also helped, I would've missed so many inside jokes had I not read it beforehand.

So, before I start reading further, could the Fforde fanatics please be so kind as to inform me which books are being referred to in the future so I could read them first and then fully appreciate Fforde's witty remarks? :irked:

Edit: Oooh almost forgot: I'm sure some of you already know that The Eyre Affair received 76 publisher rejections before it was finally accepted for publication. Can you believe it?? I pity the fools who rejected the book!

Edited by frankie

Edit: Oooh almost forgot: I'm sure some of you already know that The Eyre Affair received 76 publisher rejections before it was finally accepted for publication. Can you believe it?? I pity the fools who rejected the book!

I call them "Decckians", because they put me in mind of the the Decca Executive who famously told Brian Epstein, 'guitar groups are on their way out' before offering a record deal to the Tremeloes instead of The Beatles :irked:!

I'm delighted you loved The Eyre Affair and plan to continue the plunge into the Ffabulous Ffictional Ffun of Fforde; as for your very pertinent question, the text referenced are so many people might want to add to my own list, which goes as follows:

Lost in a Good Book

Dickens, Great Expectations

Kafka, The Trial

Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

The Well of Lost Plots

??? (still reading this one:lurker:)

Something Rotten

Shakespeare, Hamlet

First Among Sequels

Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Edited by BookJumper