Jasper Fforde

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally finished Something Rotten! I enjoyed it much more than Lost In A Good Book, I think, though can't put my finger on why. Also didn't notice the [relevance of] the title until I was about halfway through. Silly me!

What are your thoughts on First Among Sequels? Should I read it sooner rather than later?

after finishing a book last night I decided to treat myself with starting a new one and I picked up "The Eyre Affair"

I only read the first 4 pages and I am a little confused already please tell me it doesn't take long to get into the swing of reading it. For some reason I had decided Thursday Next was a man which didn't help :irked:

after finishing a book last night I decided to treat myself with starting a new one and I picked up "The Eyre Affair"

I only read the first 4 pages and I am a little confused already please tell me it doesn't take long to get into the swing of reading it. For some reason I had decided Thursday Next was a man which didn't help :irked:

It doesn't take long, although you pretty much have to sit back and get taken for the ride initially. Thursday's reality will soon become the norm for you! :D

• 1 month later...

I am currently reading First Among Sequels, this is the first book by Jasper Fforde that I have read didnt realise their were others in the series.

Finding this book strange but very good, and actually making me laugh out loud. Maybe it just gets my sense of humour.

will certainly read more by this author

• 7 months later...

I have read all his "Thursday Next" books and really enjoyed them . I recently finished "One of the Thursday's is Missing", it was good but not as good as the previous ones in this series. I am looking forward to the next book published.

• 3 years later...

There's been a bit of chatter in Muggle's thread recently about upcoming Jasper Fforde books, and I was just searching around and found this interesting information, which Jasper Fforde himself wrote about his plans in a Reddit discussion in September 2014:

I was immensely proud of 'SoG' and had high hopes for it, but initial sales were tepid, despite generous reviews, hence the lack of a sequel. It's selling better these days, so perhaps it's time to revisit them. 

My current schedule (printed on rubber paper, like all good schedules) is as follows: 

2015: The book I'm currently writing: A Crime thriller set in a world where humans have always hibernated. John Fugue works for the Dormicide squad, and is investigated an inexplicably high incidence of 'Hibernational Narcosis', which may be linked to a dream that seems to have gone viral.

After that:
Possibly another standalone, something I got really 5000-words-a-day-excited about at the beginning of the year and wrote half before going back to 'Early Riser'. More details anon.

After that:
Last Dragonslayer 4: 'The Troll Wars' which will conclude the Dragonslayer series. Follow Jennifer, the Princess, Addie the tour guide and Once Magnificent Boo as they try to recapture the UnUnited Kingdoms from the increasingly psychotic Shandar, aided by the always psychotic Trolls, and legions of hollow men.

After that:
A prequel to 'Shades of Grey' that is essentially a standalone set in the Shades of Grey world, two weeks before the Something that Happened, referred to in Shades of Grey. Jane and Eddie won't be born for another seven hundred years, but there's still a lot of fun to be had.

After that:
Thursday Next eight: Dark Reading Matter. A direct sequel to 'The woman who died a lot'. More fun with Thursday, this time in the place where forgotten and deleted texts, thoughts and ideas end up: The Dark Reading Matter. Fun and hi-jinks with Thursday and the team.

After that:
Nursery Crime 3: The Last Great Tortoise Race. Jack Spratt and Mary Mary return to investigate the annual Tortoise V Hare race, the unexpected ending of which, every year, has the bookmakers in a tizzy. Is a sinister underground crime boos something to do with it?

Or something. Put it this way, I'll always be writing something, so if the book you favour isn't up next, they'll be something for you to read while you're waiting!

If you want to read all of the questions he answered during the discussion, you can find the whole thing here.

Thanks kylie! Well, it certainly sounds like Fforde is keeping busy. :) I can understand the problem of keeping everyone satisfied when there are numerous different series in print. I hope he continues the Shades of Grey series as I really, enjoyed the book. It will be interesting to see what the Prequel brings to light although he states that it will be a standalone book? 

I will also definitely look into the Nursery Crimes that Chesilbeach recommended to me. Looks like I have additional reading ahead of me. :)

Edited by muggle not

Thanks Kylie!  It's great to read, but really frustrating that they haven't been written already and I could start them now!! I actually finished a book today, and I've got The Last Dragonslayer on the shelf waiting for me, so I think I'll have to start that one next. :yes:

Jasper's schedule is punishing .. it's exhausting just reading it :D Thanks for the info Kylie .. very exciting to see what he's planning. It's a long time since I read Shades of Grey (such an annoying title .. in hindsight :D) but I remember enjoying it. I must carry on with the Thursday Next's (I'm up to book seven now) and read the two Nursery Crimes. Can't wait to see what you make of The Last Dragonslayer Claire :) 

Jasper's schedule is punishing .. it's exhausting just reading it :D

Punishing for us, as we have to wait so long to read them. Stop enticing us with books we can't wait to read so far ahead of us being able to get our hands on them. :D

Can't wait to see what you make of The Last Dragonslayer Claire :) 

I read about 60 pages today, and I'm enjoying it so far, although as always with Jasper, it's a whole new vocabulary you have to learn! :lol:

Thanks so much for the info, Kylie - I`m really excited that there`ll be another Nursery Crimes, and another Thursday Next to look forward to ! Oh, and his other books too ; I pre-ordered Early Riser - * I think, must check * - and that`s the first time I`ve seen any info on it. Sounds intriguing.  :D

• 2 months later...

I'm planning to start reading One of Our Thursdays is Missing soon, but it's been a while since I last read a book from the series, so I was refreshing my memory by reading the synopses of the previous couple of books on Wikipedia, and I came across something slightly puzzling.

Did everyone else know that books 5-7 in the Thursday Next series (that is, First Among Sequels, One of Our Thursdays is Missing and The Woman Who Died a Lot) are actually considered a 'new four-part Nextian series'? I only just found out. I thought they were all considered part of one long series (which I guess they still are). Is it because the book is set (as I recall) years later? Or is it just to do with the title having the word 'sequel' in it? I found this snippet in an interview on Jasper's website:

'...it seems perfect to have it [the title First Among Sequels] on this, the first book in the second batch of Thursday books. Indeed. TNs one to four were essentially 'Thursday Volume one'. First Among Sequels is the first part of the next four-parter, which will continue with One of our Thursdays is Missing in 2009'.

I had no idea. I wondered whether it was a 'Trilogy in 5 parts' style joke (a la Douglas Adams), but I think that he is looking at it as two separate batches of books set in the same universe.

Mmm, not entirely sure whether there is any value in his differentiating them in this way, although I can see that there is a divide of sorts between them.

• 4 months later...

Wait, wait, wait..... there's a Nursery Crimes Two?   I've always cursed him for only writing the one when there was obvious potential for a series!   I take it back, Mr Fforde!

:giggle2: What a happy discovery for you! If you haven't already looked it up, the second Nursery Crimes book is The Fourth Bear. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've only read The Eyre Affair so far but loved it, a sort of cross-over with my favourite book.  Very clever too.  I have all the Thursday books so must get round to reading the next one.  If only Mr Rochester would really step out of the book!  What a great idea.

• 6 months later...