Jules Verne

Hi people

I'm after a copy of Michael Strogoff by Jules Verne. On Amazon it is very expensive (esp for book that was written in 1868 or thereabouts). I've looked on Fantastic Fiction; Book Depository and Oxfam (not available) and apart from the library, I wondered if anyone knew where I could get a reasonably cheap copy (ie around

thanks for your reply Chesilbeach. That is roughly the same price as on Amazon (I really don't understand why this book is as expensive as this) so I think I may trawl the second hand bookshops to see if I can stumble upon it - or I'll end up ordering from the library. I really didn't want to pay more than a few pounds.

Thanks again though:)

Edit to add: I managed to find a free download of this on the internet last night. So I'm a (slightly richer) happy bunny:mrgreen:

Edited by SueK
updated message

• 2 months later...

Just had to add a comment to this post. When I was looking for this book, I had some people alert me if there was a good copy coming up for sale. Well I had an alert from someone yesterday saying that a very good edition had come to light, well, it was published in 1870 in very good condition and the price was

Edited by SueK

I'd get the book but then, I can't drive :D!

Given that the original conundrum of this thread has been satisfactorily answered, may I append my own :D? It's Jules Verne-related, I promise!

A few weeks ago in Waterstone's I saw a beautiful red and gold cloth box-set containing a Jules Verne novel and a novel by someone else which I'm guessing is related to the Verne in virtue of being its sequel or what-have-you. Obviously, I didn't take the titles down as I was sure I would remember them so naturally, I don't. The Waterstone's website doesn't seem to know about any of it, which is helpful.

Halp?

Several sites have this as a free of charge download, if you can face reading it on your PC . . .

Hi, yes I did print it off and am reading it but ....... there is something about reading print off A4 pages, doesn't quite have the same charm as a book. I'll keep looking for an elusive copy of the book that is at a more moderate price than

Thanks for the info Raven - unfortunately I don't do eBay. BUT, a great friend of mine (who is even greater now) gave me a lovely copy of Strogoff which she found in a good second hand book shop in town knowing how much I have been looking for a copy. I know that she didn't pay

• 6 months later...

Just thought I'd just put this post to bed by saying that I recently got round to reading this book and finished it at 3 am this morning! (I'm so tired I'm almost falling asleep at work:lol:).

But .... what a great book. This is quite different to the more popular Verne stories and not one of his Steampunk ones. It is also reckoned to be his masterpiece.

I don't know how accurate the episode in history is but he certainly did his homework on Russian geography but that didn't detract from the story. It is a real "schoolboy's own adventure" and I couldn't go to bed until I had finished it. What a hero Michael Strogoff is!:)