The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

How would you rate this book? (Dont forget to say why in the thread!)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How would you rate this book? (Dont forget to say why in the thread!)

• 5/5 - Top-notch reading!
    • 4/5 - Excellent
    • 3/5 - Pretty good
    • 2/5 - OK, but nothing to write home about
    • 1/5 - Dull as ditchwater
    • 0/5 - Utter dross!

IT IS ASSUMED YOU HAVE READ THIS BOOK BEFORE READING THIS THREAD, THEREFORE SPOILER TAGS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN USED IN ORDER TO FASCILITATE EASIER AND MORE OPEN DISCUSSION

This book is available cheaply from Green Metropolis or through Amazon (please use the link at the top right of this web page)

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde:

'It looks like he died from injuries sustained during a fall...'

Bestselling author Jasper Fforde begins an effervescent new series. It's Easter in Reading - a bad time for eggs - and no one can remember the last sunny day. Humpty Dumpty, well-known nursery favourite, large egg, ex-convict and former millionaire philanthropist, is found shattered beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. Following the pathologist's careful reconstruction of Humpty's shell, Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his Sergeant, Mary Mary, are soon grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, the illegal Bearnaise sauce market, corporate politics and the cut and thrust world of international Chiropody. As Jack and Mary stumble around the streets of Reading in Jack's Lime Green Austin Allegro, the clues pile up, but Jack has his own problems to deal with. And on top of everything else, the JellyMan is coming to town...

SOME BASIC QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER:

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

I love this book. It would be so easy for an author to merely rest his/her advancement on a clever idea, but what Jasper Fforde has done with his original idea is to expand it into a credible read. Aside from the obvious and constant nursery rhyme references this is also a well plotted and balanced, good detective story.

I know many of referred to characters and scenes from childhood, but I'm hoping to discover ones I may have missed.

Jack Spratt is my favourite in this book, he is a well drawn character and I spent my initial read of the text hoping he'd get published, but later realised that he didn't need publishing to be a great detective!

This was the first Jasper Fforde that I had read. Because of my thorough enjoment of it I got hold of all his others. 'The Fourth Bear', is another NCD case involving Jack, but I additionally went on to read JF's Thursday Next series.

When I started to read this book, I wanted to know more about Nursery Rhymes, and I wanted to look up a couple of characters, as I did not know how all the Rhymes went. I found a good site http://www.rhymes.org.uk/, where I found out that contrary to what I used to believe, that Nursery Rhymes were innocent made up stories about fictional things, these were actually 'songs' or more so 'laments' that the people of those times used to make up, to air their grievances in a way which was not punishable by the king or state.

A few that I looked up were about the Tudors, Queen Mary, (for example Three Blind Mice is about Mary I, King Henry VIII and Katherine of Spain's daughter, and so is Mary Mary quite contrary.) The thing that surprised me was that what had, to me, always seemed like toy descriptions, or beautiful ornaments in Mary's garden, is actually something totally different!

'The silver bells and cockle shells referred to in the Nursery Rhyme were colloquialisms for instruments of torture.

The 'silver bells' were thumbscrews which crushed the thumb between two hard surfaces by the tightening of a screw.

The 'cockleshells' were believed to be instruments of torture which were attached to the genitals!'

Really does make you look at Nursery Rhymes in a totally different way. What made this really intersting to me is that I have been reading about the Tudors very recently - I do not know a lot about British History, so I could probably appreciate these Nursery Rhymes a bit more, if I did.

The book is enjoyable because it is an actual whodunnit, with a difference - as the victim is Humpty Dumpty - actual name Humperdinck (Humpty) Jehoshaphat Aloysius Stuyvesant van Dumpty. The CSIs are wonderful - the crime scene description is something else :motz: the Medical Examiner is right out of CSI, or NCIS. ;) It is filled with puns, and references to real or fictional characters and a few twists at the end make it complete. I must say that this is one book which I will recommend to people who want to read something different.

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

Although I liked Jack Spratt, I also liked Humpty a lot. He was dead the duration of the book, but he was such a likable character.

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

I loved the CSI findings and descriptions. It was described so realistically, which also made it dead funny!

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I have read the Thursday Next series, but for some reason, probably because the title 'Nursery Crimes' sounded too macabre I was never much interested in reading these. I am now going to get hold of The Fourth Bear, though.

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

Not really, for some strange reason, once you get into the story, nothing seems impossible!

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Yes it was, and in fact I am looking forwards to reading its sequel.

Edited by Maureen

Having just skimmed the replies here (please? It's 6.40AM!) I was wondering about the references... Michelle, you said you got the desire look up some of the nursery rhymes the book was alluding to. Are these (not just the nursery rhymes) something that's very culturally bound to, say British culture, or are they more universal?

I haven't read the book, despite it sounding rather interesting. But... I've been busy moving. And I couldn't quite justify buying new books when BF and Perfect Morning-After Voice almost hurt their backs carrying my book boxes.

I can't answer for the nursery rhymes, but I find a lot of the references in Jasper Fforde's books to be very English, whether the references are subtle or more overt.

One of the more obvious English jokes I noticed, for example, is a running joke that describes Mary as being from Basingstoke, which is 'nothing to be ashamed of'. Presumably any English person would get this reference, but not knowing anything about Basingstoke or Reading (where the book is set), I clearly didn't get it. I can only guess that Reading is supposed to be a much better place to live/work than Basingstoke, but there's probably a little more to it than that.

I hope you get to read it eventually, ii. It really is a good book.

I've also been tempted to look up some references to nursery rhymes that I didn't get at the time I was reading. Any book that inspires further research has done well, in my opinion! :D

I was wondering about the references... Michelle, you said you got the desire look up some of the nursery rhymes the book was alluding to. Are these (not just the nursery rhymes) something that's very culturally bound to, say British culture, or are they more universal?

ii, I believe you were referring to me? In my opinion, they are bound to British Culture.

One of the more obvious English jokes I noticed, for example, is a running joke that describes Mary as being from Basingstoke, which is 'nothing to be ashamed of'. :D

Yes, I would be grateful if someone would explain this to me please :D

I think the Basingstoke, 'nothing to be ashamed of' running joke is just the thought that one provincial town is much like another. Therefore places such as Swindon, Reading and Basingstoke are so similar as to render them almost identical in terms of social strata, cultural considerations, outlook, amenities etc.

I also wondered whether this also hinted at comedians on tour who will always make a disparaging joke about the next town over.

I loved this book! I read and enjoyed The Eyre Affair years ago but never felt like looking for the follow ups. This one though, I look forward to reading further in the series.

Like Chrissy I thought the idea was very well carried out, the characters are great, and it's such a funny read! The things that disapointed me though, was the ease with which Chymes was discredited... I thought he'd remain an important caracter in the series but it looks like he's already out... It just felt like that victory was too easy. But maybe he makes a comeback later on? Fforde might not have planned for a series from the start.

I think the Basingstoke, 'nothing to be ashamed of' running joke is just the thought that one provincial town is much like another. Therefore places such as Swindon, Reading and Basingstoke are so similar as to render them almost identical in terms of social strata, cultural considerations, outlook, amenities etc.

I also wondered whether this also hinted at comedians on tour who will always make a disparaging joke about the next town over.

Interesting, I didn't put that much thought into it. Just took it as a running joke. :D I'll probably have to re-read it more carefully at some point.

Thanks Chrissy! :D

ii, I believe you were referring to me? In my opinion, they are bound to British Culture.

Yes, of course. So sorry. For some reason I always get you two mixed up. But thank you for explaining. I have to say that's a bit of deterrent when it comes to my interest on the book. I've never been too charmed by the British culture, I'm afraid.

I am not British, probably that is why I felt the need to look up info about the Nursery Rhymes mentioned. However I do not think you have to be British to enjoy the book. A lot of people would have heard about Humpty Dumpty, so there is this Rhyme (and others) in the background, however it is a whodunnit in its own right, based on Nursery Rhymes characters. I think you should give it a try ii, Jasper has a strange sense of humour.

Did you ever read anything by him? (BTW, I don't read fantasy, his is the only work I loved!)

... I've been meaning to post a comment for ages...

liked this book, but then again I think that Jasper Fforde is a great writer who cleverly manages to intertwine threads from different stories to create one of his own, and a funny one at that. The use of characters was hilarious, as he manages to attribute to each an extended character which builds on one

• 2 weeks later...

Have been meaning to post in here for ages. I really liked this, although not as much as the Thursday Next series. Having said that I did find the references a bit easier to follow as I know most nursery rhymes but haven't read all the books mentioned in Thursday Next.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the little paragraphs at the beginning of each chapter...particularly the ones mentioning that laws had been passed to stop, for instance, dog walkers finding bodies, because it was deemed too cliched. And then a chapter or two later a dog walker finds a body, but it's just thrown in as a casual aside. :lol:

I don't remember enjoying these little side excursions in the Thursday Next books as much. They seemed a bit more superfluous to me (although I could be remembering them wrong).

• 3 months later...

Just finished reading this, and absolutely loved it!

A true crime novel, with a murder to solve, beurocracy at it's best, a great detective...and all set within the crazy (but totally believable!) world of Fforde and his wonderfully inventive NCD.

I lovd the character of Jack spratt- a detective with issues! Unappreciated for his work, a follower of his gut instinct, just getting on with the job whilst having to deal with his own issues, on the homefront and the workplace.

I had no problem with the 'nursery rhymne' references in the novel, and I love the fact that Fforde gives the nursery characters 'life' and 'depth'.

We get to know 'Humpty's character, therefore, we 'want' to know who killed him, and see justice done!

I also found it interesting that, although Fforde alludes to the fact that many of the nursery characters don't realise their 'non-human' status, Fforde doesn't indicate whether 'Jack' and 'Mary' have any clue as to why they themselves 'fit' into the nursery crime division so well!!!

(However.....having just finished 'The fourth Bear', the next NCD novel, this question becomes part of the plotline and all is revealed!!! Find a review on my reading list if interested!)

So glad that you enjoyed this one so much. I so love Jasper Fforde's imagination. :D

It is a proper crime novel, and it is totally unbelievably believable! Isn't that something?

As I was reading your post I kept thinking "She's just got to read The Fourth Bear as soon as humanly possible" So yippee that you have! :17:

• 3 weeks later...

I have read all of them, far too fast. They have all merged into one big book in my mind.

I am planning on a proper and thorough re read of the series, but I want to make sure that I have read or re read all the other works that are referenced in the series. I think this will ensure that I get from them everything I can.

I adored reading them, but I felt I was hindering myself at times by not having a specific text to which I could say "Ah, that's from *****, oh how marvellous!".

I read the first four TN novels before I got to The Big Over Easy, and I have to say, the first chapter almost made me put the book down. I only really like quirky crime novels - usually either comic or historical - so I thought I would enjoy this, especially after loving the TN books, but the opening chapter didn't grab me at all, and I actually had to read it twice because I hadn't really taken in what was going on but I then carried straight on with the rest of the book and loved it.

I think I may need to re-read the book again, though, to fully appreciate it, as the first time was a break half way through my re-read of all the Harry Potter books before the release of book seven, and I suspect my mind was on that rather than really taking in TBOE.

I have read all of them, far too fast. They have all merged into one big book in my mind.

That's what I did too. Then after a few years I recommended them to my friend, who loved them, but when we started to talk about them I found that they had all blended into one tale in my mind.

I adored reading them, but I felt I was hindering myself at times by not having a specific text to which I could say "Ah, that's from *****, oh how marvellous!".

True for me too, unfortunately. That's why when reading Big Over Easy I read all I could about Nursery Rhymes!

Having read the TN series up to 'Something Rotten', I have the impression that Jasper intended them to flow into one large tale, since he continues and extends themes presented in earlier volumes in later volumes. The notion of reading up on the books referenced is a good one as it does help make more sense of the series. Reading the first two chapters of 'The Trial' by Kafka is a worthwhile investment I found, by way of example.