KEY:

5 - Unbetterable

4 - Loved it

3 - Liked it

2 - Found it lacking

1 - Utter rot

red - Unfinished

blue - Currently Reading

That's an excellent site, MC - I've got a basc Microsoft Access database on my own computer, but I think I rather like this setup!

Hi. What did you think of TheGod of Small Things? I read it last year. It seemed rather weird, but incredibly cultured, and informative..

I really enjoyed this book - it was definitely weird though! There were times where I was a bit confused as to what was going on and to what people were referring to, however the beautiful prose more than made up for it. I loved the fact that the Indian culture was a major aspect of the book as I really enjoy reading books that are both entertaining and educational. Definitely one of my favourite reads of this year, and possibly of ever :D. I can understand why it won the Booker.

I finished The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea this morning, and have now started on Magician by Raymond E. Feist.

Overall I enjoyed TSWFfGwtS, but had to give it a 4/5 because I just wasn't in the mood for it - I was counting down the pages until it ended, which is never a good thing. The prose was exquisite, the plot compelling and the characters intriguing, but I think that a lot of the brilliance of the book escaped me because of my lack of experience and maturity in the reading of literature, something which I have been trying to work on. I think that I will pick this one up in a few years time when my reading ability has developed, as I'm sure that I would get so much more out of it. A recommended read, but definitely not for the queasy!

These are the books that I have read, although not necessarily this year, that are on your list:

The Waste Lands by Stephen King 4/5

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett 3/5

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 5/5

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett 4/5

These are the books that I have read, although not necessarily this year, that are on your list:

The Waste Lands by Stephen King 4/5

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett 3/5

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 5/5

Going Postal by Terry Pratchett 4/5

Ah, right. I put The Colour of Magic as a 3/5 because although I enjoyed it, I don't think that the book was of a quality as high as Going Postal - I didn't find it as interesting, nor as humerous, and I found that the beginning lagged a bit.

I just finished Magician by Raymond E Feist, and to be honest I'm not as enraptured with either this book or the author as most other people seem to be.

While I liked the book overall, I thought that the writing was a bit flat at times, and the constant descriptions of landscape and battles bored me - I didn't really care for the overly-long battle scenes. I found that Feist repeated facts several times and that he repeatedly used a single word numerous times while describing or explaining something, both of which detracted from the flow of the novel.

The characters could have used a bit more work also, with some of the minor characters, and even a few of the major, still feeling a bit like strangers at the end of the novel. I didn't find the characters nor their actions believable either, as I found myself puzzling constantly over the sudden change of opinion in a character, or the immediate acceptance of something that would have usually have taken days to believe, let alone accept.

Overall an ok book, but I don't think that I will be picking up the other books in the Riftwar saga, especially as this book has been heralded as Feist's crowning "glory". 3/5

I have now started Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Yes, I read Pride and Prejudice recently. The language is engaging, and there are some thought provoking lines. The plot also takes someinteresting turns. Not normally one for all this girly lovey dovey stuff but this is an excellant book.

I finished Out this afternoon and really enjoyed it. I was a bit hesitant to read this as I usually dislike crime novels, but I decided to give it a go and am extremely glad I did! Highly recommended, but not for the squemish! 4/5

I have now started Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I have given up on this book previously (at the 100 page mark), but decided to give it another go.

I finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian this morning - while I liked it overall, I found it a tad light for my taste and lacking in character development. I gave it a rating of 3/5.

I have now started The Last Juror by John Grisham. I just had to find out if Grisham is as good as people suggest.

Finished The Last Juror this afternoon - I enjoyed it, but crime/thrillers aren't really my type of book. I found it lagged a bit, and the most of the events described in the blurb didn't occur until about 100 pages to go (it was a 500 page book). The title doesn't really make sense to me either :? 3/5

I have now started on Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

• 3 weeks later...

I finished Middlesex last night after reading it for what seems like forever. Overall a great book, although I thought that the ending was a bit rushed. Naming one of the characters Chapter Eleven was also something that bugged me a bit - it made it less believeable. 4/5

Have now started on Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon - I felt like something short and light after my previous read.

I finished Lord John and the Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon a few days, and while enjoyable, I don't think that it was quite up to the standard of the Outlander books - the writing style didn't seem quite so polished, and the storyline not so intriguing. I also missed Jamie, of course! So while I will be picking up the next book in the Lord John series, my expectations will not be quite so high as that of the next Outlander installment. 3/5

I have now begun The World According to Garp by John Irving. I'm only a little way in, but am enjoying it so far. The unique writing style, while a bit wierd, is highly entertaining.

Looks like there are a couple of folks reading this just now. I remember watching the film & finding it slightly bizarre but really enjoying it (this was years ago now!). I might have to pick up the book too at some point!