Can't put a bad book down?

jewell

I hate giving up on a book, no matter how much I dislike it, but getting distracted happens way more that I'd like. I've started several good books and just sorta trailed away from them, which is really bad, because I either have to go back to where I was and continue, and hope I rememnber everything, or endure the tediousness of rereading everything again, and then adding the ending on, so I know one half inside out and the other just at the level of one read. It's so annoying.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have way too much going on in my life to waste my time on a book that I am not enjoying. I tried soooooooo hard recently to make myself finish reading The Book Thief as everyone I know who have read it loved it. It dragged on for ages & I dreaded picking it up because I just wasn't enjoying it. Finally I just stopped picking it up & I am so glad that I did. Life's too short to force yourself to read something that is a drudgery. Reading should be a pleasure, not a chore!

I do try to finish a book I'm reading, or at least carry on for now. However, there have been a good few books I just could not continue, due to boredom.

I won't typically give up immediately, but put the book aside and read another. If, after that, I don't want to return to the original book then I never will.

I used to finish every book I started but now think life is too short to waste on book i'm not enjoying. I will usually give it 80-100 pages (depending on the length of the book) and if it hasn't grabbed me by then I will skim read the rest or if it's really bad just put it down.

Also, I find if i've just finished a really good book I either have to give it a day or so before starting another or read a different genre. Otherwise I may not be able to get into the book as still thinking about the last one. Is this just me, am I weird? :lol::blush:

I hate giving up on a book, no matter how much I dislike it, but getting distracted happens way more that I'd like. I've started several good books and just sorta trailed away from them, which is really bad, because I either have to go back to where I was and continue, and hope I rememnber everything, or endure the tediousness of rereading everything again, and then adding the ending on, so I know one half inside out and the other just at the level of one read. It's so annoying.

LOL I hate with when this happens to me. I can totally relate tho :lol:

I tried soooooooo hard recently to make myself finish reading The Book Thief as everyone I know who have read it loved it. It dragged on for ages & I dreaded picking it up because I just wasn't enjoying it. Finally I just stopped picking it up & I am so glad that I did.

Despite my love for this book, my husband falls straight into your camp, Ceinwenn. :lol: He put it away shamelessly and hasn't looked back.. You just can't blame anyone for not continuing to read something they're not enjoying!

I will try as far as I can to finish a book that I start. If it's a mood driven decision not to continue then I will try again at a later date, but if it is just that no matter what frame of mind I am in I will hate the book, then I will give it a miss. Some readers are not meant to finish some books! :lol:

I know that sometimes i may give a type of book more of a chance to grip me than i do others. Like if i have never tried any of that particular author's books. I know sometimes it can take a while to get into a new book. I find this especially difficult if i am reading a book with a unique layout, perspecitve, or style of writing. (e.g The Curious incident of the dog at night time)

I really, really struggled with 'The Book of Dave' by Will Self .. it's an extremely clever book but far too clever for me .. I did finish it but I didn't enjoy the challenge .. it didn't seem worth the effort in the end.

I don't usually give up on books but then again I tend to buy books that I think I'll enjoy in the first place! However, I had to make an exception for Mr Toppitt by Charles Elton... I tried to persevere but I found it to be a disappointment and kept waiting for a story to evolve which never did...

I always give the book the biggest possible chance, so it's unlikely that there are many books that I just won't finish. However, there are some obviously that I can just not finish reading because they're so bad. I guess I never feel that bothered about leaving a bad book unfinished because there are so many other books to read, that time cannot be wasted struggling through one that's not holding your attention.

The Book of Dave is on my wish list but I haven't heard many great things about it. Still, it sounds intriguing. I'm really torn about whether or not to get it. :lol:

I think you will either think it genius or pretentious .. there are no in-betweens.

I lent it to my niece and she abandoned it after two chapters muttering something about not being able to get that time back again.

Having said that it is fascinating and clever .. just too much so for me.

It is written in two different time frames .. and the chapters alternate between each one. The chapters written in the present time frame I had no trouble with .. the chapters written in the future I struggled with .. it is written in 'Mockney' .. and it was a while before discovering that there was a dictionary at the back of the book to help you (you can see I'm not cut out for reading intelligent literature!).

My advice would be to look out for it secondhand (there will be a lot of numbskulls like me that have abandoned or disliked it) and give it a go .. it is at the very least unique and a challenge.

Edited by poppyshake

I don't usually give up on books but then again I tend to buy books that I think I'll enjoy in the first place! However, I had to make an exception for Mr Toppitt by Charles Elton... I tried to persevere but I found it to be a disappointment and kept waiting for a story to evolve which never did...

I was annoyed with this book because I thought it started well .. it finished terribly imo as in .. it felt like the author had been given five mins to write the second half of the book and nothing was resolved or completed and the characters were abandoned.

Grrrrrr and such a nice cover too .. shocking!

I always try and finish a book, especially if I'm reviewing it. A couple of months ago I had to write in my review that I didn't finish a book cause it was so darn boring. It takes a lot for me to give up on a book, but if I can't connect with anything or anyone I begin to switch off and therefore it is impossible to finish reading it and give any proper synopsis.

In non fiction, I hate conspiracy theories that have no proper grounding. I read two chapters of a book on Tutankhamun, one of my fave historical eras, and the author drew on writings from someone who had already been debunked, presenting them as fact. Just makes me soooo mad. That one got resold on Amazon.

• 2 months later...