The Hobbit

Raven

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have included more information in my post. I do now enjoy The Hobbit more, but it wasn't always the case. The first three times I tried to read it I couldn't finish. I'm not sure if that's because of reading Lord of the Rings first and then reading 'Tolkien Lite' (delightful phrase, Raven) afterwards. I guess it just clicked the forth time and I've loved it ever since. Although don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Lord of the Rings books immensely, too.

Back on topic, I have a friend that's in the cinema watching now, and I'll be eagerly awaiting her judgement. It'll be the first proper opinion I've had other than the media reviews, and I'll be able to gage more if I'll enjoy it, from her comments. She's also a huge fan of all things Middle Earth, so I expect a very honest set of views on what she's seen.

No spoiler review!

I think the technical term is:

Nerdgasm

I've no idea what the detractors are banging on about. I watched the 2D version and it looked fine to me. No problems with the plotting and I didn't find myself clock watching at any point.

Fellowship may have been more tightly paced [if you compare the first film of this trilogy with the first film of the last], but I think they are very much viewing this as the first film in a set of three and if this is just the setup the next two should be awesome!

Make no mistake, this is no Phantom Menace!

If you liked the book on any level you should enjoy this (and I take back anything negative I have ever said about Martin Freeman, he is perfect as Bilbo Baggins!).

More could be said, but for now: 10/10.

... not the most faithful of adaptations, but I guess we were also expecting that.

I didn't have a problem with the changes they have made [new characters and moving the plot around etc]. They have taken the spirit of the book and run with it (like they did with the first trilogy) and I think the result is pretty damn good!

This is excellent news Raven, thanks for posting your thoughts. I've certainly got less reservations about it than I had before. As a big fan of the novel I'm almost certain I'll enjoy this and I'm disappointed that my faith dwindled in the first place.

Another thing I would add, is that having now seen the first film I think I have a good idea of how they are going to fill two more films and my concerns about Jackson adding too much padding (which he could still do) have dwindled quite a bit.

Second that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I read the book recently, but don't recognise all the scenes from the trailer (I think some of it is added on, like in the first book). The trailer looks interesting but doesn't actually say much about what will happen (though to be fair, I couldn't understand what they were saying so maybe they did say things about what'll happen). The dragon was only visible near the end, I'm hoping to see more of him in the film though I don't know when the second film will end and the third one will begin. Smaug's name is in the title so I would expect to see more of him than a few seconds. It looks like a fun, action-packed film.

Thanks Raven :) I'd better spoilerize the rest :D

Having just read the book I struggled to find much in the trailer that I recognised (barrels and spiders .. and Smaug :D). I suppose that's to be expected seeing as how he's going to make forty three films out of the book :D. I guess he'll just give us glimpses of Smaug again because he shouldn't really turn up until nearer the end surely.

Who on earth is the kick-ass elf woman? and what's Legolas got to do with it? Also in places it looks very digital .. unconvincingly so .. perhaps it's not quite ready yet.

I'll still go and see it .. but there's nothing wrong with the original story and I don't know why PJ thinks it needs so many add-ons (well .. I can think of one reason :blush2:  :D) I do hope they haven't cut Beorn out .. perhaps he was there but I missed him

I guess he'll just give us glimpses of Smaug again because he shouldn't really turn up until nearer the end surely.

Actually, as far as I know the 3rd film is going to be the battle of the 5 armies so Smaug will be in this one significantly.

Who on earth is the kick-ass elf woman

Tauriel - the producer's attempts to make it less sexist. I welcome it.

perhaps it's not quite ready yet.

I thought the same - but it is 6 months prior to release and they were working the FX shots until the last minute on the last one so I'm hoping they'll be polished up.

I do hope they haven't cut Beorn out

They haven't.

• 5 months later...

I was disappointed with it :(

as was I. 

All the scenes with Tauriel and Kili were just painful. There was way too much CGI and no heart. The beginning was very rushed and Beorn was very under-used though I liked the Mayor of Laketown, his assisstant or whatever he was, appeared to be straight out of a pantomime. I mean actually tripping up Bard when he was running away from guards who were chasing him for no reason...  :banghead: