The Hobbit

Raven

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i must admit, I have grave misgivings about this.

.. shades of Oscar Wilde.

'I have the gravest doubts upon the subject. But I intend to crush them'. :D

I think he will probably overegg it .. but it will still be mindblowingly fantastic. How much of a time gap will there be between them? .. that's what I really object to .. waiting!

• 1 month later...

The new trailer for it is fantastic :) I'm so excited .. haven't been to the cinema since Feb. It's in 3D isn't it? (as well as 2D) .. Gollum in 3D :o It will be awesome .. or rubbish :D

I've just seen that there will be limited edition hobbit 3D glasses .. he's definitely milking it :D

Edited by poppyshake

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now you see, I'm definitely both very excited and terribly nervous for this. I've made the mistake of reading some reviews and they're not hailing it as the classic I expected it to be (like the Lord of the Rings films.) I can't wait to see it, will probably make a rare cinema trip at some stage. Perhaps when some of the fuss has died down and I've finished my exams.

Edited by Ben

I have my tickets for tomorrow, the Wife is a huge Lord of the Rings fan and she won't let me wait any longer. I am not reading any reviews at all, people will always be critical given that LOTR is so loved and popular and they have adapted what is essentially a childrens book into over 8 hours of screen time. Though to be fair I am not expecting too much, it has to have been dragged out a bit to make up 3 films and I am not a fan of Martin Freeman, I also thought the trailers looked a bit silly and almost slapstick. But I aim to be pleasantly surprised.

I am really looking forward to it :D

I'm getting a little concerned. The reviews I've seen, whilst being on the more positive end of the scale, haven't been what I would call glowing. There is a lot of discussion about the 48fps filming, which I think is distracting people from talking about how good the actual film is, but people seem to be unimpressed with the plotting, which seems to be a bit hit and miss.

I have to admit that I have been a bit concerned about the comedy elements of the trailers, too, but maybe the book was like that too and I just don't remember it. I'm trying not to read reviews either. I want to go in with an open mind and low expectations so I won't be disappointed. :) The movie doesn't open here until Boxing Day. :( But I won't be anywhere near a movie theatre until a couple of days after that...

I'm looking forward to this film on the grounds of Martin Freeman. I never got very far with the book, despite loving all three Lord Of The Rings books. I'm going to wait until at least two weeks after it comes out, though. Hate crowds at cinemas.

It could be because I read LOTR first, and already adored those characters. I didn't have any interest in Bilbo :P

It's also a very different book in tone as well. The Hobbit is very much a children's book, LotR is very much a book aimed at adults and the way they are written are very different (at least to start with, the Hobbit improves as it goes along and the singing and comedy parts fall by the wayside to be replaced by dragons and battles).

I too read LotR first and the first time I tried to read the Hobbit I suffered Twee Fail when they got to Rivendell and the elves were all hanging out of trees singing to the dwarves as they walked past. After LotR, the Hobbit is a bit like reading Tolkien Lite.

It's also a very different book in tone as well. The Hobbit is very much a children's book, LotR is very much a book aimed at adults and the way they are written are very different (at least to start with, the Hobbit improves as it goes along and the singing and comedy parts fall by the wayside to be replaced by dragons and battles).

I too read LotR first and the first time I tried to read the Hobbit I suffered Twee Fail when they got to Rivendell and the elves were all hanging out of trees singing to the dwarves as they walked past. After LotR, the Hobbit is a bit like reading Tolkien Lite.

LOL yes. That pretty much sums it up. I should give it another go though.