How do you arrange your books?

Kylie

I do have a method, but it only makes sense to me.

I have an 8 foot tall, 2 column book shelf. I think there are about 7 shelves on either side. Each shelf is organized by similar genre. One shelf will have religious/spirituality books, one will have memoirs/bios etc...

I have one shelf of TBR books. Sometimes there is overlap and maybe 2 genre's per shelf. Some of the shelves are 2 books deep. to the untrained eye it is a mess. But ask me for a book, and I will be able to find it in under a minute.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i organize my shelf by genre (fiction, non-fiction, mystery/thriller, etc) but i'm also looking for a new way to organize them because some authors books get separated this way =( like my alice sebold books, the lovely bones and the almost moon are on the fiction shelf but Lucky is on the nonfiction! -SIGH-

Genre first, then by author, not alphabetically, but similar types within the genre are together.

Right now I'm happy as a clam with my new built-in shelves in the study.

I have booksleves all around my house. Textbook and reference books are kept in my office in the garage. I then have a couple of bookshelves in the dining room and one makeshift and one sided bookshelve in my room. I have no real order apart from keeping authors grouped together and if books are in a series like Karin Slaughter's Grant county series then I have them in order.

As for books that are yet to be read they are scattered around my house including the corner at the top of the stairs.:lurker:

I have too many books to arrange in a proper order. Lack of space and too many books kinda doesn't leave many options.

I agree! I do have three bookcases, two of which are in my lounge. One is pretty neat, with books grouped together by author. The other is shared with DVDs, but all my Pratchetts are on the top two shelves! Hardbacks always go on the bottom shelf, as they are heavy and my bookcases are Argos specials and not that sturdy! The shelves tend to bend if piled up with too many books...

So really, I tend to group books by author, and will try and put them in order of publication. It annoys me that I have the odd hardback and these have to be separate from the rest of that author's books. :lurker:

Size matters! ;) I try and keep the same size books on each shelf, as this makes a nice level surface to cram more books horizontally on top of them.

I have a lot of series books so they are all stored in chronological order whether or not I've read them all, along with books by the same author. I have a shelf for other books to be read and all my hardback books are on the bottom. Other than that any other books I've read are stored by size and depth ;).

There's nothing nicer than seeing a row of books all by the same author with the matching covers! :lurker:

I've always tended to sort my books by genre and by author. It also has to do with size, since the shelves on the bottom hold larger books and the top shelf smaller ones. I also only have one bookshelf in my living room right now and that's reserved for the 'pretty' books :lurker:. The shelves in my bedroom hold the oldies but goodies and are arranged by genre and author. Hopefully my collection will eventually be built back up to what it used to be and I'll have to resort to having random stacks everywhere! ;)

I just put them on the shelf as they come in. I don't keep a lot of books so it's not diffcult to keep track of them. I know most books i won't read again, so i keep the ones i like for display, such as my favorites, really old looking books (coz i love the look and smell of them), collectors books, and books i know i want to read again at some point. Overall i don't really keep a lot of books. The rest just go to the charity shop.

By size and series and author. I have this silly thing though, that I like continuity in color and texture, so I am going about bookcovering all in brown leather and gold lettering. what next I wonder, no I must not even think about it!

I've posted some pictures of the new built in shelves on my profile page, sorry, it's with a camera phone.

I wasn't able to post all the shelves, but you can get an idea anyhow.

It's so wonderful to have almost enough space. :motz:

The books in our house are shelved in no particular order. We have several bookcases/shelves dotted around the house and most of Andrew's books are upstairs while mine are downstairs.I tend to keep all the books on my to be read list together

Looks amazing Pontalba ;)

Thanks. ;) It was a lot of fun getting the books out of stacks on the floor, and scattered about the house.

The back wall is solid mysteries, and I keep sci-fi together as well. The lower on the wall the literature section, the more favored they are. I just wish I could have them all in one room.

Next house maybe. :motz:

Oh! I forgot to mention that I have a separate shelf for my text books. It houses all my police procedure books and my Canadian Criminal Codes. I try and keep this shelf really organized and neat so I know where something is when I need to refer to it. :motz:

I've somehow managed to buy so many new books that I have to rearrange my bookshelf and my little bookcupboard. I started this weekend, took out most of my books and did a little arranging, though now I'm just clueless as to how I'm going to arrange them and I'm a bit panicky. There are books everywhere. :motz:

I don't really have any rules or tics about that. Well, at least I can't stand it if a large book is between the smaller books, large books of a genre first, then come the smaller books of a genre, but that's not a tic, is it? I try to keep books of a particular genre in one place, but sometimes I just put a book anywhere. I don't have enough book-ends, so occassionally I use a book as a book-end, so that also causes many of my books not to be very organised.