Disney classics challenge

Chimera

Ok, I can't believe I'm venturing in the realm of challenges (I tend to stay away from set lists of books to read), but I was watching The Incredibles tonight and the DVD held previews of several Disney Classics... Which reminded me that I haven't, or only partially, seen most of those...I know, shame on me! So I thought I should make it a point of curing that dreadful lack of culture in the near future ;)

But then I remembered that there are books behind these films, and I thought it might be interesting to make it a joint challenge: read the books, watch the films, and see how they compare...

So I've been trying to put together a list of Disney Classics and the works that inspired them. Below is what I've found through wikipedia. The films on it are those specifically labelled as "Disney Animated Classics", plus Mary Poppins which I've added. I was surprised by the amount of films included... I've never heard about half of them!

As for the books which inspired them, it seems there are a lot of folks tale, but also quite a few 'big' books (I had no idea The Lion King is loosely inspired by Hamlet ?). So, it looks like it could be a really fun challenge. But I'd love your input on the list: are there some films or books missing? Some which according to you have no point of interest?

I am not planning on making this a time limited challenge, just a theme to explore according to my mood and what I can get my hands on book and film wise. What do you all think? Anyone interested in joining me?

1937 –Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs by the Grimm Brothers

1940 –Pinocchio

Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi

1940 –Fantasia

➢ listen to the music that inspired it or read about the composers...

1941 –Dumbo

Dumbo by Helen Abersen

1942 –Bambi

Bambi - A life in the woods by Felix Salten

1943 –Saludos Amigos

1945 –The Three Caballeros

1946 –Make Mine Music

1947 –Fun and Fancy Free

➢ Jack and the Bean-Stalk by Joseph Jacobs

➢ Little Bear Bongo by Sinclair Lewis (Cosmopolitan Magazine, 1936)

1948 –Melody Time

The Legend of Johnny Appleseed is a retelling of the story of John Chapman, who spent most of his life roaming America and planting apple trees, thus earning his famous nickname. Little Toot is based on the poem by Hardie Gramatky

Alfred Joyce Kilmer poem by Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians

Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers and Pecos Bill is the finale about the famous hero from Texas, the biggest and best cowboy that ever lived, his horse Widowmaker, and how he was brought back down to earth by a woman named Slue-Foot Sue. This retelling of the story is courtesy of Roy Rogers, Bob Nolan, and the Sons of the Pioneers to Bobby Driscoll and Luana Patten.

1949 –The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

1950 –Cinderella

Cinderella by Charles Perrault

Cinderella by the Grimm Brothers

1951 –Alice in Wonderland

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

1953 –Peter Pan

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (play)

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (novel)

1955 –Lady and the Tramp

Happy Dan, the Whistling Dog by Ward Greene

1959 –Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty by Charles Perrault

Sleeping Beauty by the Grimm brothers

1961 –101 Dalmatians

The One Hundred and One Dalmatians by Dodie Smith

1963 –The Sword and the Stone

The Sword in the Stone by Terence Hanbury White

➢ Legends of King Arthur

1967 –The Jungle Book

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

1970 –The Aristocats

1973 –Robin Hood

➢ Robin Hood tales by ??

Le Roman de Renart

1977 –The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh, by A.A. Milne

The House at Pooh Corner, by A.A. Milne

1977 –The Rescuers

The Rescuers by Margery Sharp

Miss Bianca by Margery Sharp

1981 –The Fox and the Hound

The Fox and the Hound by Daniel P. Mannix

1985 –The Black Cauldron

The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Chudley Alexander

1986 –The Great Mouse Detective

Basil of Baker Street by Paul Galdone & Eve Titus

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

1988 –Oliver & Company

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

1989 –The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid by Andersen

1990 –The Rescuers Down Under

The Rescuers by Margery Sharp

Miss Bianca by Margery Sharp

1991 –Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont

1992 –Aladdin

Aladdin - The Book of One Thousand and One Nights (Arabian Nights)

1994 –The Lion King

Hamlet by Shakespeare

1995 –Pocahontas

➢ read about the true story

1996 –The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

1997 –Hercules

➢ Greek and Roman mythology

1998 –Mulan

➢ Chinese legend of Hua Mulan

1999 –Tarzan

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs

2000 –Fantasia 2000

2000 –Dinosaur

2001 –The Emperor’s New Groove

➢ The Emperor's new Clothes by Andersen (title only)

2001 –Atlantis: The Lost Empire

➢ a novel version of the Atlantis myth, or a book about the myth

2002 –Lilo and Stitch

2002 –Treasure Planet

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

2003 –Brother Bear

2004 –Home on the Range

2005 –Chicken Little

➢ The Sky Is Falling (or Chicken Licken) by ??

"Although sometimes mistakenly listed as one of Aesop's Fables, the story actually originates from early African folktales, according to Joseph Holloway.[1] The basic motif and many of the elements of the tale can also be found within the Daddabha Jataka (J 322). The Jatakas comprise a large body of folklore dating from around Gautama Buddha's time (6th century BC) to the third century AD. However, this ancient version features a hare as the central character rather than a chicken, and the wise protagonist is a lion (the Bodhisattva or future Buddha)."

2007 –Meet the Robinsons

➢ A day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce

2008 –BOLT

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins, by P.L. Travers

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

The Magic Bed Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons by Mary Norton

Bonfires and Broomsticks by Mary Norton

Edited by Chimera
updated list

This is an awesome idea. I've read several of those on your list.

I haven't read The Fox And The Hound. However, the movie makes me cry enough, and it's a happy children's movie. I know what happens in the book, and the mere thought of it makes me want to cry.

I love this idea!

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite ever movies, and I loved both Lewis Carroll books, although of course Disney changed a lot in the movies.

I've read The Jungle Books (didn't enjoy them) but have yet to see the movie.

I've seen and read Peter Pan. I can't remember a great deal about the movie, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. As I recall, Peter Pan was much more friendly and likeable in the Disney movie. :)

I would like to suggest adding the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks to your list. It is partly animated, but mostly live action, and it's a terrific movie. It stars Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson (from Mary Poppins), and I've watched it so many times I've lost count ;) It is apparently based on the books The Magic Bed Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons and Bonfires and Broomsticks by Mary Norton.

I only found out by mistake a couple of years ago that there is a much longer version around, so try to see that one if you can. It was like Christmas when I discovered all these extra scenes that I'd never seen before! When I was in London a few years back, I visited Portabello Road solely because of the song of the same name in this movie!

I LOVE this idea. I think it sounds fun ;)

The list looks great. Are you willing to include the Gregory Maguire books? Not all of his books are based on Disney stories, but some are. He takes the idea and makes it his own, while still including the original fairy tale.

These are the ones related to Disney stories:

http://www.gregorymaguire.com/books/mirrormirror.html

http://www.gregorymaguire.com/books/confessions.html

Mirrir Mirror is based on Snow White and Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister is based on Cinderella.

Just a thought. Great challenge tho and best of luck.

Happy Reading :lurker:

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :lurker:

This is an awesome idea. I've read several of those on your list.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've read a lot of them under one form or another... But they're the kind of stories which have been adapted again and again so I don't know if it was the original, full version. And I barely remember them.

I would like to suggest adding the movie Bedknobs and Broomsticks to your list. It is partly animated, but mostly live action, and it's a terrific movie. It stars Angela Lansbury and David Tomlinson (from Mary Poppins), and I've watched it so many times I've lost count ;) It is apparently based on the books The Magic Bed Knob; or, How to Become a Witch in Ten Easy Lessons and Bonfires and Broomsticks by Mary Norton.

Sounds great, thanks! I'll add it.

I LOVE this idea. I think it sounds fun :D

The list looks great. Are you willing to include the Gregory Maguire books? Not all of his books are based on Disney stories, but some are. He takes the idea and makes it his own, while still including the original fairy tale.

mmm books inspired by the films... That's another interesting idea! And the Maguire books look great. But I think I'll concentrate on the original works which have inspired the films first, and then continue on with this if I'm really enjoying the challenge.

There is a sequel to 101 Dalmatians - The Starlight Barking, which is also by Dodie Smith. I'm not sure if any of the film sequels are actually based on it though?

According to wikipedia they aren't. But I'll keep it in mind if I enjoy the first book :)

An excellent challenge! I think I remember an old friend endeavouring to do similar, but we lost touch and I've no idea howshe did with it tin the end!

Fantasia was based on music, so you could always either listen to the music that inspired it or read about the composers...

Fantasia was based on music, so you could always either listen to the music that inspired it or read about the composers...

That could be fun too! I was thinking the same thing for Pocahontas (though I have seen that film, and don't remember it being much good...) which is based on a true story, and Atlantis which has obviously been written a lot about.

Actually, would any of you recommend a particuar version of the Atlantis myth?

I've found this page by someone who did a similar challenge.

Some extra info on some of the "missing links" on your list, courtesy of Wiki. :lurker:

--------------------

Fun and Fancy Free comprises of TWO stories:

Bongo: The story of a circus bear cub, who runs away from the circus to the wild and the adventures there that follow. This was based on an original story by Sinclair Lewis.

Mickey and the Beanstalk: An adaptation of Jack and the Beanstalk with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy as peasants who discover temperamental Willie the Giant's castle in the sky through the use of some magic beans.

-------------------

Melody Time also has several segents, some of which are based on previously written work:

- Once Upon a Wintertime features Frances Langford singing the title song about two romantic young lovers in December. The boy shows off for his girl, and near-tragedy and a timely rescue ensue. This short was also featured in Very Merry Christmas Songs which is part of Disney Sing Along Songs as a background movie for the song Jingle Bells.

- Bumble Boogie is a surrealistic nightmare for a solitary bee trying to escape from a visual and musical frenzy. The music is courtesy of Freddy Martin and his orchestra (with Jack Fina playing the piano) and is a swing-jazz variation of Rimsky-Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee, which was one of the many pieces considered for inclusion in Fantasia.

- The Legend of Johnny Appleseed is a retelling of the story of John Chapman, who spent most of his life roaming America and planting apple trees, thus earning his famous nickname. Dennis Day narrates and provides all the voices.

- Little Toot is based on the poem by Hardie Gramatky, in which the title protagonist, a small tugboat, wants to be just like his father but can't seem to stay out of trouble. The Andrews Sisters provide the vocals. Out of all the musical segments, this one is the most famous.

- Trees is a reciting of the famous Alfred Joyce Kilmer poem by Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians with the lyrical setting seen through the seasons.

- Blame It On the Samba has Donald Duck and Jos

This sounds very interesting and something that I have been thinking about doing for a while and now feel encouraged to do :) Good luck!

Oh, I hope you are feeling encouraged enough to join me on this quest! :lurker:

Just added Kell's awesome info to the list (only book/ poem related at the moment. I'll concentrate on that for now, plus the board was groaning with the lenghth of my first post ;)).

I've acquired the short tales by Andersen, Grimm and Perrault today, so I'm set to start. Not sure with which, yet.

Great start to your challenge. I have to say, though, that I LOVE that Grimm's tales are often so dark and brutal. It's always interesting to see how they've been "sanitised" for child-appropriateness at later dates. ;)

I watched Princess Diaries 1 and 2 today whilst ironing! Are they on your list? I'm quite curious about the books now - I think there are lots of them though?!

ETA: Of course, they wouldn't be as they're not classics. ;)

Edited by Janet

Great challenge Chimera and an excellent start, I hope you really enjoy doing this ;)

I haven't read the Grimm's version of Snow White, I've just seen the Disney version which I adored ;) I do remember my older brother buying me a huge volume of Tales of the Brothers Grimm many many years ago when I was little and I recall how some of the pictures were quite frightening, I would love to see it now though :D.

Great start to your challenge. I have to say, though, that I LOVE that Grimm's tales are often so dark and brutal. It's always interesting to see how they've been "sanitised" for child-appropriateness at later dates.

It is! Can't imagine the same ending being written nowadays in a children's book... I just found it weird and amusing that the concept of morals has changed so much. I mean, the tales in themselves do sound very 'moralistic' (well, it WAS the excuse the authors had to use to justify their 'frivolities', according to the most interesting notes in my copy of Perraut's tales), apart from the ending which probably wouldn't seem child appropriate to most modern parents...

It was the shortness of it which disapointed me. There wasn't much to go on.

I watched Princess Diaries 1 and 2 today whilst ironing! Are they on your list? I'm quite curious about the books now - I think there are lots of them though?!

ETA: Of course, they wouldn't be as they're not classics.

Well, I can't include all Disney movies, cartoons and series, or I'd never see the end of it :smile2:

Great challenge Chimera and an excellent start, I hope you really enjoy doing this

I haven't read the Grimm's version of Snow White, I've just seen the Disney version which I adored :D I do remember my older brother buying me a huge volume of Tales of the Brothers Grimm many many years ago when I was little and I recall how some of the pictures were quite frightening, I would love to see it now though ;).

I hope you can lay your hands on it! ;)

I have The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm and they are certainly gruesome stories!

I can't remember much of the Snow White story but I only saw the movie for the first time a couple of years ago. Charming!