BookJumper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Reading now?:Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer
  • LocationUK (mostly)

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Oh good, enjoy :lol: you might actually encounter me milling around and not even know, I'm an intern there (although I won't be seeing the play myself as I can't afford to sit down and they will not give me a discount... :lol:)

#42 SweetiiPie85

SweetiiPie85

Super Bookworm

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

For me it has to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin and The Ghost by Danielle Steel.

Pride and Prejudice

I am currently reading this book at the moment and I think it is a beautiful love story. I love the film (one with Keira Knightly) and have seen it many times. I love to see the relationship between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy progress :lol:.

The Ghost

This is an amazing book which I have read and re-read many times :). It ia about a man named Charles who is left heart broken after the sudden end to his marriage. He rents a chateau in New England where he feels the presence of Sarah a woman who died there a few centuries ago. He finds her diaries which in time mend his broken heart and help him to love again. It is a beautiful story and I enjoy it more every time I read it :D.

I would like to read The Time Travellers Wife as I saw a clip for the movie and it looks brilliant :lol:.

#43 ii

ii

The Queen of Off-Topic

• Banned
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

Much as I adore the witty exchanges of "Pride & Prejudice", I'd have to say "Persuasion": Anne and Capt. Wentworth's love stands everything time, distance and opinion throws their way - Wentworth's letter at the end always makes me blubber:

Spoiler

... *sigh*!.

Oh, yes! The letter is incredible. I will always and forever prefer Capt. Wentworth to Mr. Darcy and any other literary hero because of that letter. "You pierce my soul" had me in tears.

#44 nippysweetie_1

nippysweetie_1

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

Eugene Onegin, by Alexander Pushkin. Wonderfullly nuanced Russian novel written in Iambic Verse basically about not knowing about the love you've got till it's gone. Turned into an opera but Tchiakovsky. Mmmmm agonisingly bittersweet.

Edited by nippysweetie_1, 30 July 2009 - 11:02 PM.
spelling mistake

#45 jenmck

jenmck

Bibliophile

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen.

Funny though. The "GREAT" literature/love stories all seem to have bittersweet or sad endings.

I like a happy ending.

#46 SaraPepparkaka

SaraPepparkaka

Happily Reading

• Advanced Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

Wuthering Heights. And The Time Traveller's Wife. I may add some more when I have time to think about it. Maybe one with a happy ending?

#47 Paul

Paul

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Reading now?:A few
  • LocationWay Down Yonder

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Happy endings are hard to come by. Sadly. :)

#48 andytorres

andytorres

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

The Phantom of the Opera.
One of the greatest love stories ever told!

#49 jewell

jewell

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:13 PM

Much as I adore the witty exchanges of "Pride & Prejudice", I'd have to say "Persuasion": Anne and Capt. Wentworth's love stands everything time, distance and opinion throws their way - Wentworth's letter at the end always makes me blubber:

Spoiler

... *sigh*!

I just have to say i totally agree. That letter sends shivers down my spine. It's so passionate. I love the fact that a love can not take silence and isolation any more. He just has to know! Brilliant choice.

As far as a modern romantic love goes: i think The Time Travellers Wife is beautiful. It's a more real love to me. Gritty in places. But to me that makes it a stronger type of love. I think it's wonderfull the way they need each other so much. The waiting, enduring and loving each other all the more for it.

#50 sirinrob

sirinrob

Addicted!

• 941 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Read this thread in its entirety and now decided to throw a spanner in the works :mrgreen: I nominate 'The Gift' as a candidate. Why? Simply because it addresses many aspects of love, not just romatic love

#51 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

The Gift. I've just looked on Amazon and that could be by Cecelia Aherne (although I doubt you mean that one!), Danielle Steele (ditto!), Alison Croggon (book 3 of a series)...

I'm hazarding a guess you mean Nabokov?!

#52 page turner

page turner

Avid Reader

• PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

The first one that came to mind was Gone with the wind, as *shock horror* I haven't read and Austen as yet. As for a more recent love story I think that The Outlander series has what it takes - well the first 4 books did anyway. I love the whole Claire and Jamie relationship it's just *sigh*:mrgreen:

#53 Bel-ami

Bel-ami

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Reading now?:Spend Game by Jonathan Gash
  • LocationSussex

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

I haven't read most of the famous romances, but may I propose "Fair Stood The Wind for France" by H.E. Bates. Possibly a 'romance for boys'.

I wonder, do readers identify more with novels by writers of their own gender when reading romances?

#54 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:40 PM

I haven't read most of the famous romances, but may I propose "Fair Stood The Wind for France" by H.E. Bates. Possibly a 'romance for boys'.

I wonder, do readers identify more with novels by writers of their own gender when reading romances?

Wonderful book Bel-ami, I mentioned this earlier in this thread, as well as Love for Lydia also by Bates. I'm not sure if we do identify more with novels written by one of our own gender; on thinking about it, I guess I tend to read more books written by men - even the book that started this thread, Dr Zhivago, was written by a man.

#55 Bel-ami

Bel-ami

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

Oops, sorry for not reading the thread more thoroughly. I'm a great HE Bates fan, but have yet to read Love for Lydia.........it's now firmly on the list. Thanks.

#56 SueK

SueK

The Game is Afoot

• Advanced Member
  • 1,274 posts
  • Reading now?:The Girl in the Photograph by Kate Riordan
  • LocationKent

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:58 PM

Hi, it's great to "meet" a fellow Bates fan, not many of us around I don't think:smile2:

What's your favourite?

Mine has to be Fair Stood the Wind, followed by the Pop Larkin series. I have still to read The Sleepless Moon which I'm saving for my next holiday in September and I've recently finished The Feast of July.

To me, it's not just about the story, I just love his descriptions, you can almost feel the sun dried grass under your feet, and hear the lawn mowers in the distance:)

#57 Bel-ami

Bel-ami

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:32 PM

Exactly my favourites too!

I've just finished The Distant Horns of Summer - one of his more 'psychological' novels, but brimming with those sumptuous descriptions of the English countryside, as you describe.

#58 MuggleMagic

MuggleMagic

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Reading now?:Vlad: The Last Confession by C.C. Humphreys

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Oh good, enjoy :lol: you might actually encounter me milling around and not even know, I'm an intern there (although I won't be seeing the play myself as I can't afford to sit down and they will not give me a discount... :lol:)

(this is off topic sorry but...)

I went to see R&J on Saturday. It was a really hot day and we had a front row seat on the balcony. I collapsed during the interval :blush: but the play was BRILLIANT!

#59 sirinrob

sirinrob

Addicted!

• 941 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

The Gift. I've just looked on Amazon and that could be by Cecelia Aherne (although I doubt you mean that one!), Danielle Steele (ditto!), Alison Croggon (book 3 of a series)...

I'm hazarding a guess you mean Nabokov?!

Yes Nabokov

#60 adz3

adz3

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Reading now?:The Megamusical by Jessica Sternfeld
  • LocationMexico

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Just thought of another one ..... Phantom of the Opera - a lovely story of unrequited love. Makes me sad to think about it.

I agree. Even if the entire tone of the novel isn't that of a "romantic novel" the feelings each of the main characters express are really intense and an example of different kinds of love a person can feel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users