Greatest love story ever written?

SueK

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

You'd have to go some to beat Dickens' David Copperfield.

Perhaps . . The Odyssey by Homer? Husband and wife reunited after years of tumult and tragedy. Punished by the Gods (no deity likes smart people!) for being smarter than your average Grecian, Odysseus just wants to get home to his wife and son after the Trojan war. He does, eventually, and they all live happily ever after - I'd like to think!

A love story that I found to be truly amazing is a relative newby called The Notebook, so lovely I could not stop going on about it.

My mom loved the movie and has been after me to read the book!

• 2 months later...

Of the books I have read I would have to say "Tale of two Cities", Dickens way of telling a story, his way with words may never come our way again.

Although in a more modern time "the Notebook" was a wonderful touching story , but I would have to say the making of the movie did nothing to enhance the story.

I kind of wished I never watched the movie. Having recognizable characters play the parts maybe, not sure but something about it spoiled the story a little, for me.

• 9 months later...

Some of my favorite love stories in books, plays, and short stories, in no particular order.

The Merchant of Venice - William Shakespeare

Peyton Place - Grace Metalious

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

From Here to Eternity - James Jones

Romeo and Juliet - William Shakespeare

The Gift of the Magi - O. Henry

The French Lieutenant's Woman - John Fowles

An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser 

Beren and Lúthien - J.R.R. Tolkien

Tristan and Isolde -  inspired by Celtic legend, particularly the stories of Deirdre and Naoise and Diarmuid Ua Duibhne and Gráinne.

• 7 months later...

While many people would say Romeo and Juliet, that story is more of a satire on young love. For me, Princess Bride is the best romantic story. Not only is there a great romance, but there is action and hilarity - this makes even the people who do not like romances love this book. 

• 1 month later...

I would say either Wuthering Heights or Great Expectations subjectively speaking. They are not perfect love stories and the couples are flawed but I doubt any real couple isn’t. 

Of course I feel I have never in my life really loved someone romantically as I have never met anyone with whom I feel I can properly connect so I doubt I have much author on this. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 22/07/2009 at 12:26 PM, frankie said:

I would probably say Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities. I've never come across such passionate and unselfish love in any other book I've read. Those of you who have read the book must know who I'm talking about.

Hi

Interesting. I have not tried Dickens yet, apart from at school. That sounds like a good one to start with.