Everything Wine

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tried another German wine today...Have to copy out the whole name as I cannot read it...Domgarten Niersteiner Gutes Domtal. Anyway I enjoyed the wine! Will definately buy it again.

My wife likes the German Rieslings. She especially enjoys a wine called Erben Kabinett.

Today I bought a bottle of the Ercavio that dogmatix recommended. We will probably try it this weekend.

I've been so hooked on Spanish and Portugese Wines (with my regular stable of French and California) that I've NEVER tried a German wine. (wierd huh?) Someone want to make a recommendation? In a white I like a dry with vanilla tones. In a red, smooth and deep flaors are my favorite.

I'm not sure the dry vanilla whites are really what you get from Germany (well, there are some weisserburgunder type wines from further south). On the whole you're getting full, sweet or medium dry wines. Lovely, in my opinion, but not the kind of thing that would normally be to your tastes.

I am, at the moment, completely wined out. After 3 days of touring Stellenbosch and Franschoek at the end of the trip to South Africa, and going to maybe 4 wineries a day and tasting maybe 4 or 5 wines at most of them, my palate is incredibly jaded and I need a few more days off.

Has anyone ever heard of the wine of the month clubs, where they send you 2 bottles of new wine every month?

I've thought about signing up for this, of course 2 bottles probably wouldn't last a month, LOL, but I love to try new wine from distributors I've never heard of. It seems a little expensive, but I guess if you think about it, it's a little over $10-$15 a bottle (which is more than I usually spend but if it introduces me to new wine, it may be worth it.)

My suggestion is to subscribe to a e newsletter that recommends a wine a week, read through this thread for our suggestions, and get to know the sommelier at your wine shop. That way you'll be making some informed descisions rater than relying on what they send you. Trying new wines is fun, but I'd hesitate to belong to a wine of the month club.

My suggestion is to subscribe to a e newsletter that recommends a wine a week, read through this thread for our suggestions, and get to know the sommelier at your wine shop. That way you'll be making some informed descisions rater than relying on what they send you. Trying new wines is fun, but I'd hesitate to belong to a wine of the month club.

I agree. I am not a fan of the Wine Of The Month clubs. I used to subscribe to The Wine Advocate by Robert Parker and received many, many good recommendations of wine. I would much rather read up on wine and try a few experiments on my own than going the club route. As dogmatix says, I believe you can get some pretty good recommendations right here.

I had the Vina Alarba from Spain (Old Vines Grenache) the other night and really enjoyed it. I don't believe I have ever had a $6.99 (U.S.) bottle of wine that enjoyable. For those interested, I bought it at World Market. Great buy for the money.

I had the Vina Alarba from Spain (Old Vines Grenache) the other night and really enjoyed it. I don't believe I have ever had a $6.99 (U.S.) bottle of wine that enjoyable. For those interested, I bought it at World Market. Great buy for the money.

I'm on my way over there today actually. Pulls out scrap of paper and pencil V-I-N-A A-L-A-R-B-A :readingtwo: