Everything Wine

Try Carmenère, it's generally bit spicier than Merlot, but great with red meat and BBQ.

Also, if you can get your hands on Santa Digna's Gewurztraminer, get it. It's brilliant!

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend a wine that has a chocolatey flavour - there was one I used to drink but I can't remember what it was - I know that some Shiraz does but I'm not sure which one.

If its milk choc then try a pinot noir or a chillean merlot, avoid anything too spicey like australian shiraz or rioja.

If its dark choc then try a spanish cabernet sauvignon or a zingy zinfandel, avoiding anything too light as a Beaujolais or Sangiovasse.

Thanks O's - the one I liked had a real bitter plain choc flavour/lingering after taste - gorgeous, so I'll be trying your suggestions.

Cheers!:tong:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never gotten the taste of zinfandel's actually. Lately I've been feeling Italy, especially Sicily and Nero d'Avola. That and barolo, depending on what I'm eating (or not eating)...

Edit: I was distracted by the phone so I forgot my actual point.

Muggle, we've always had Champagne at Thanksgiving dinner.

Edited by ii
phone

I've had some fairly good Rosso's, yes, but if limited to Toscany I usually go for Carmignano. As a rule, when it comes to wine I usually go North or South in Italy. The middle is for art and shoes. *grin*

For those that have Thanksgiving dinner, what wines will you serve.

Or for those that don't have Thanksgiving dinner, what wines do you recommend. :woohoo:

LOL, I guess not many members celebrate Thanksgiving. Either that or they don't drink wine. Where is my friend maureen, I know that she enjoys a glass or two occasionally. :)

The thing with Thanksgiving is that there's so many different flavors on the table, it's impossible to find a wine to go with them all. So just get a wine that you enjoy. That's the best policy. As I said, we've always had Champagne in our family. A Medium red, an oaky Chardonnay.... it's up to you, really, and what you enjoy.

Edited by ii
typos

I like White Zinfidel, which is a sweet rose

If you enjoy White Zinfandel, then try a White Merlot from Beringer.

LOL Muggles. I just found a new wine - from California too - BAYWOOD Ruby Cabernet 2006. Perhaps not posh enough for Thanksgiving, but I loved it! Will be buying some more of it for sure! Have you ever tried it?

I haven't tried the Ruby Cabernet by Baywood but I will try to track it down. Baywood winery is located on Cannery Row in Monterrey, California. Many of their grapes come from Paso Robles, little town which I am also familiar with, which is becoming famous for grapes for red wines.

BTW, John Steinbeck wrote a wonderful book titled "Cannery Row". I visited Monterrey, CA in yr. 2000 and we had a great dinner at one of the many restaurants on Cannery Row overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Edited by muggle not

Me, too Vince. I'm not much of a wine drinker & definatley prefer sweeter to dry.

Same here. :woohoo: I like a Zinfandel too. I like some of the sweeter white wines also but I'm not keen on red at all - I think its cause you dont chill it :)

The thing with Thanksgiving is that there's so many different flavors on the table, it's impossible to find a wine to go with them all. So just get a wine that you enjoy. That's the best policy. As I said, we've always had Champagne in our family. A Medium red, an oaky Chardonnay.... it's up to you, really, and what you enjoy.

I have decided on a River Road Pinot Noir from Russian River Valley for the turkey and a Domaine Pignard Beaujolais from France for the ham. I will also have a Petals Riesling from Germany for those that prefer a white.