Everything Wine

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you guys recommend for someone that doesn't know the first thing about wine?

I don't like overly sweet, and do like a bitter taste. I don't think I like dry wine.

Just wondering. :friends0:

Are you serious?

I was staying at Quartier Francais on the nights of 2nd, 3rd and 4th Jan.

That is such a coincidence. We arrived about lunchtime on the 3rd having come from Hermanus. We ate in the bistro on our first evening and in the Tasting Room on our second evening. We had a full days wine tasting (with a driver) on the 4th so were not around the hotel a much as we would have wanted. Ideally we would have liked to stay there longer.

We did have a wonderful lunch on the terrace of the Grand Roche at Paarl on the day we left.

I feel quite nostalgic.

Ah. Oops. There I go being an idiot. Sorry. We weren't staying at Quartier Francais, but somewhere else with a French name (Manoir de Brendel - not that great). We did eat at the bistro at Quartier Francais, after despreately trying, but failing miserably, to get into the tasting room.

The best meal in Franschoek was at Le Petit Ferme, which was just above Hautes Cabrieres, on a glorious road which went over a lovely pass and into a national park area. The best wine was probably at Warwick, where all the wine was fantastic; although Boukenhootskloof (if I've spelt that right) was also impressive - we love their "Chocolate Block".

The whole winelands area was brilliant, as was Constantia on the Cape.

-

Was the tasting room as good as it was meant to be? It has an amazing reputation.

What would you guys recommend for someone that doesn't know the first thing about wine?

I don't like overly sweet, and do like a bitter taste. I don't think I like dry wine.

Just wondering. :friends0:

I would recommend a light rose frizzante. We have a local one called Gellewza Frizzante, but unfortunately I don't think you can try that. It is quite light, and fruity.

Well I'll stray from the pack and say that most "new" wine drinkers that want a red can safely start with a Merlot. Merlots are smooth and really easy on the undeveloped wine palette. From there you can venture in many directions depending on your preferences. A couple of easy to finds Merlots that are good are Coppola's Diamond and Toasted Head. Both are from California and are reasonably priced. Salut'

Thanks Dogmatix, I'll try one of those. I've written them on my list.

Maureen, I should have mentioned I don't care for combination tastes, such as one thing that has a fruity taste. Just a peculiar quirk of mine, but thanks.

Louise, what is shiraz?

I'll agree about Merlot. As a grape variety it makes smooth, fairly easy to drink red wines. Sort of full, and fruity, I'd say.

Shiraz is a grape, like merlot, Pontalba. (It's called Syrah by the French, but they're the same thing). Shiraz is fairly accessible, I think, but it's generally much bigger and bolder in terms of flavour, and you tend to get blackcurrenty kinds of tastes. The most famous of the French shiraz wines are Cotes du Rhone ones like Chateauneuf du Papes, but it's safer, and probably better (until you're spending a bit more), to drink Australian shiraz .

The best wine was probably at Warwick, where all the wine was fantastic.

The whole winelands area was brilliant, as was Constantia on the Cape.

-

Was the tasting room as good as it was meant to be? It has an amazing reputation.

The Tasting Room is excellent. The food is very good and well presented. They have an option for you to have 8 courses with a different glass of wine at each course. We opted to have just 4 courses after our day of wine tasting but we thoroughly enjoyed everything.

We also thought that Warwick was great wine.

I only hope we can go back someday.

I'll agree about Merlot. As a grape variety it makes smooth, fairly easy to drink red wines. Sort of full, and fruity, I'd say.

Shiraz is a grape, like merlot, Pontalba. (It's called Syrah by the French, but they're the same thing). Shiraz is fairly accessible, I think, but it's generally much bigger and bolder in terms of flavour, and you tend to get blackcurrenty kinds of tastes. The most famous of the French shiraz wines are Cotes du Rhone ones like Chateauneuf du Papes, but it's safer, and probably better (until you're spending a bit more), to drink Australian shiraz .

I just know that I'm more of a white drinker but I do like New World Shirazes!!!

Pontalba, I know that you mentioned red wine but let me also suggest that you try a white wine.

For a person strarting out in wine I would suggest that you try a Piesporter Michelsberg Riesling Kabinett from Germany.

If you find that you don't care for whatever wine you try, don't give up. Once you start to like wines you will find that they are one of life's great enjoyments, along with good food, books, and music. Oh, and also art. :friends0:

I did some wine shopping today:

At Total Wine:

....bought 6 bottles of Vinho Do Monte - $8.99 a bottle

....bought 1 bottle of Aveleda Vinho Verde $7.29 a bottle (already had a few bottles)

At World Market:

....bought 7 bottles of Vina Alarba - $6.99 a bottle (the Vina Alarba is one of the great wine bargains - Robert Parker gave it a 90 rating - it sells for $10.99 bottle at Total Wine and is a bargain even at that price)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...