Everything Wine

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of red wines from argentina that are very nice. Try these wines:

Andeluna Malbec - $9.99 to $11.99 a bottle

Andeluna Malbec reserve - $14.99 to $16.99 a bottle

And for an inexpensive wine that is a great buy for the money. These are one of the top 10 best selling wines at a popular wine store in Washington, DC:

San Felipe Malbec - $6.79 to $8.99 a bottle

San Felipe Merlot - $6.79 to $8.99 a bottle

a friend recommended a german or canadian 'ice wine'...aanybody ever try any? How about you Muggle?? Dogmatix??

I just read a big article about ice wines but I've not tried one yet. Let me know if you do.

Oh and Pilgrim, I also enjoy Rosemont Estate Merlot. I've bought it a couple of times.

I have also had a lot of Australian wines, both red and white, including the Rosemount Merlot. Australian wines are very good. I am stuck on the wines from Spain and Portugal for the moment. I am about to place an order for 2 mixed cases of Spanish reds and whites. When I have decided on my selection I will post them. Calvert Woodley are having their fall wine sale, good bargains on most wines. I bought 2 bottles of the Casal Garcia today and tomorrow I am stopping at a Total wine store on my way to Pennsylvania (we are visiting my wife's sister and husband for the wekend) tomorrow and intend to buy 3 bottles of the

Sogrape Alentejo Vinha Do Monte.

I have also had a lot of Australian wines, both red and white, including the Rosemount Merlot. Australian wines are very good. I am stuck on the wines from Spain and Portugal for the moment. I am about to place an order for 2 mixed cases of Spanish reds and whites. When I have decided on my selection I will post them. Calvert Woodley are having their fall wine sale, good bargains on most wines. I bought 2 bottles of the Casal Garcia today and tomorrow I am stopping at a Total wine store on my way to Pennsylvania (we are visiting my wife's sister and husband for the wekend) tomorrow and intend to buy 3 bottles of the

Sogrape Alentejo Vinha Do Monte.

I've created a monster;)

a friend recommended a german or canadian 'ice wine'...aanybody ever try any? How about you Muggle?? Dogmatix??

I've drunk quite a few Eisweins recently. The Canadian ones are expensive, as are, generally, the German ones you get abroad. But if you're in Austria or Germany you can pick up a half bottle for around 15 or 20 euros (which seems like a lot until you realise the Canadian stuff sells for $50 or so).

It's incredibly powerful and sweet and rich and full. Don't drink it with anything savoury, really. It's dessert wine, and powerfully flavoured dessert wine at that.

Sometimes it's truly lovely. Sometimes, though, it loses to subtlety of the best normal botrytis dessert wines.

I've drunk quite a few Eisweins recently. The Canadian ones are expensive, as are, generally, the German ones you get abroad. But if you're in Austria or Germany you can pick up a half bottle for around 15 or 20 euros (which seems like a lot until you realise the Canadian stuff sells for $50 or so).

It's incredibly powerful and sweet and rich and full. Don't drink it with anything savoury, really. It's dessert wine, and powerfully flavoured dessert wine at that.

Sometimes it's truly lovely. Sometimes, though, it loses to subtlety of the best normal botrytis dessert wines.

thanks for the info....one more question...would I find it in dessert wine section...or categorized by countries like other wines?

We drank 2 bottles of the Sogrape Alentejo Vinha Do Monte over the weekend and it was great. Everyone really liked the wine. My thanks to sofia and dogmatix for the recommendation. After our move, which is coming up fast, I intend to buy a case of the wine.

When is it, how far are you going, surely champagne is for a move

We will be moving about 200 miles from where we now live. The movers will load the truck with our stuff on Nov 14 and unload it to the new house on Nov. 16. We have much work to do getting ready, packing, wrapping, selling things, throwing things away, inspections, buying things, etc. Not to mention worrying about something going wrong, like the buyer of our house backing out of the contract at the last minute (she has not sold her house yet).:D

picked up two more portuguese wines.....the first is called Gatao....and when translated it means "cat." It's nothing fancy, just a rose table wine...with a pic of a cute cat on it. I've tried to find a pic...but couldn't:irked:

next up....is one of Muggle's new faves;) a Vinho Verde called Muralhas De Moncao...which means "Walls of Moncao" (Muncao being the region)...it's a white wine and here's what it says...Muralhas, Vinho Verde, has aromas of a fresh apple, mint and lime. Concentrated, slightly candied, gingery fruit offers very good vinosity, bracing but not austere. This offers good extract and texture. Ripe and firm onthe aftertaste.

http://www.adegademoncao.com/emuralhas.html

and I also picked up a little German;)

Riesling 2005

I am going to place an order for a case of the following wines. A description of the one wine is at the bottom of the post.

................................................................................................Sale Price

2130 NAIA - Rueda Vina Sila (white).....................2 bottles .......$9.99 ea......Spain

5188 Marques de Riscal Verdejo Rueda (white).....2 bottles.....$5.99 ea......Spain

6081 Aveledo Vinho Verde (white)........................3 bottles.........$5.99 ea......Portugal

1947 Tres Ojos Garnacha Old Vine Calatayud (red)...3 bottles......$5.99 ea......Spain

5505 Vega Sindoa Tempranillo / Merlot (red)..........2 bottles........$6.99 ea.....Spain

6960 Agricola de Borja Borsoa Tinto (red)..............2 bottles........$5.99 ea,....Spain

5576 San Felipe Malbec (red)..............................2 bottles.........$6.79 ea.....Argentina

7412 San Felipe Merlot (red)...............................2 bottles..........$6.79 ea.....Argentina

spacer.gif2004 Tres Ojos Garnacha Old Vines Calatayudspacer.gif

Rated: 87

Deep red. Lush raspberry and candied cherry aromas, with hints of roasted coffee and dark chocolate. Ripe and lush, with good weight and depth to its raspberry and strawberry flavors. No obvious tannins get in the way of the rich, sappy red fruit. An excellent value.

Geeze Muggs and I haven't bought you anything for Xmas. :D

Glad to see the move is "moving" along and you'll be in for the holidays.

BTW Brian sold his first home yesterday. He is so excited and I'm so proud of him. He's already looking at lots to build the next one.

Haven't tried anything new this week, mostly been staying with my standards Toasted Head and Diamond Claret, which I stocked up on last week. I did by a new set of wine glasss though. Perhaps it's time for a trip back to Total Wine with a printout of this thread in hand.

Keep the suggestions comming everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Washington, DC on Wednesday and bought 2 cases of wine at the annual fall wine sale at CW. We also drove to MD and visited our granddaughter and took her out to lunch. Nice day and a break from working our tail off packing. Wine bought:

Item No... Description.................. Qty .....Price Ea. ..Total Cost

3589..... Las Brisas ......................2........$8.69 ............$17.38

5188..... Marques de Riscal Verdejo Rueda ....2 ....5.99 ......11.98

6081..... Aveledo Vinho Verde..... 3 .........5.99 ..............17.97

5381..... Regnie Domaine des Buyats...... 2 .........7.99...... 15.98

1947 ...Tres Ojos Garnacha Old Vine Calatayud ..3... 5.99 ..17.97

5505 ..Vega Sindoa Tempranillo.... 2 ... ..6.99 ..............13.98

6960 .....Agricola de Borja Borsoa ....2 .........5.99 ...........11.98

5576 .....San Felipe Malbec ..........3 .........6.79 ..............20.37

7412 .....San Felipe Merlot........... 3........ 6.79 ...............20.37

2034 ....Andeluna Malbec, Winemakers Selection...2 ..9.99 .19.98

What is Niersteiner like ? My 8 year old won it in a tombola, do I put it back in one?

The label says Niersteiner Gutes Domtal 2003

Niersteiner gutes Domtal

These wines are from the village of Nierstein, which is situated in the Rheinhessen wine-growing region and is bordered on the west by the Nahe River and on the north and east by the Rhine River. There are approximately 62,500 acres of vineyards in the Rheinhessen making it the largest German wine-growing region in vineyard area and second to the in wine production. This region enjoys a moderate climate with warm summers and mild winters.

Louiseog, drink it well chilled and enjoy......save a sip or two for me. :)

0.gif0.gif