Everything Wine

Trying two new whites on this warm southern weekend

1. Bubo 2005 Pinot Grigio.

Wholefoods had it described as the perfect front porch sipper. And this is how I intend to use it too.

2. Bianco 2005 Pinot Grigio

This one is from my favorite California wine producer, Francis Copola. (maker of my favorite Claret.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...so I bought some more!

It really is a nice every day drinking wine. Wish that I could find the Shiraz-Malbec but in the meantime the plain Malbec is very good. I will buy another bottle this evening or tomorrow.

Does anyone know a nice Shiraz with a chocolately flavour - years ago I used to buy one and now can't remember which one it was. It was more of an after taste of dark bitter chocolate.

• 2 weeks later...
It really is a nice every day drinking wine. Wish that I could find the Shiraz-Malbec but in the meantime the plain Malbec is very good. I will buy another bottle this evening or tomorrow.

Muggles every time I buy this (weekly at the moment) I think of you! Wish you will find some! Wish we had teletransporting - I would send you a couple of bottles! :blush:

Muggles every time I buy this (weekly at the moment) I think of you! Wish you will find some! Wish we had teletransporting - I would send you a couple of bottles! :blush:

I found some Triventa Shiraz on Saturday but not the Shiraz-Malbec. I didn't buy the Shiraz because when I found it I had already bought 4 bottles of other wine. :lol: My next trip I will buy the Shiraz.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't usually go crazy for Chardonnay, but I bought a bottle of Trivento Chardonnay, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course you would like it, cause you know that I can't find it here. B)

The Polka Dot Reisling was not one of our favorites and we will not buy any more of it.

Tomorrow we may go to the Shelton Vineyard and buy a case of their Reisling. It is very good.

http://www.sheltonvineyards.com/default.aspx?shelton=61&objId=11

We will also visit http://www.visitmayberry.com/ as we did not go today.

• 3 months later...

I have a few favourites - mostly reds.

Inexpensive (around £6-10)

Sancerre (white, and always decent)

Marius (Spanish - red)

Crozes Hermitage (French - red)

Mid-range (£11-19)

La Roque (French - red, and possibly my 2nd favourite wine of all time)

Hermitage (French - red, and always a safe bet)

Expensive(ish) (£20+)

Brunello (Italian - red, and my favourite wine, hands down!)

I like dry white wines, chardonnay and chablis. I never buy expensive wines, I rarely finish a bottle so it would be a waste.

I don't like red wine (unless it is good quality) cheap red gives me a funny reaction. Chianti is nice but I do tend to avoid red.

Oh, lord... you guys really don't want to get me started on wine... I could talk for ages!

Favourites? For red, Chile's carmenère, Sicilians (especially nero d'avola), all valpolicellas are good... Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa (Plasir de Merle)... Pretty much everything from Bordeaux and of course the Beaujoulais (Cru Fleurie is amazing, and Beaujoulais Noveau is a tradition!) Pinot Noir never fails.... plenty of others, of course.

For white I love Riesling (especially from Alsace), South African Sauvignon Blanc... Australia makes nice whites too... off the top of my head...

I love Jonhanassburg Reisling. Fabulous.

Funny thing is I grew up in Napa, California.....and I know NOTHING about wine. Well, other than it comes in two colors (with variations) and sits in a barrel for a long time. :welcomeboard:

My favorite wine EVER was a white chardonnay from Flora Springs in the Napa Valley. It was sweet and fruity and very light. I don't like my wine heavy.

I love all the Spanish wines referenced here. I realize that I've been very isolated in my wine choices.

This thread is GREAT.

I love Jonhanassburg Reisling. Fabulous.

Funny thing is I grew up in Napa, California.....and I know NOTHING about wine. Well, other than it comes in two colors (with variations) and sits in a barrel for a long time. :welcomeboard:

My favorite wine EVER was a white chardonnay from Flora Springs in the Napa Valley. It was sweet and fruity and very light. I don't like my wine heavy.

I love all the Spanish wines referenced here. I realize that I've been very isolated in my wine choices.

This thread is GREAT.

jenmck, Flora Springs makes nice wines. I am an acquaintance of one of the owners of the winery, Mike Komes. He and I worked together for a large engineering/construction company (you probably know of the company since you are close to San Francisco). Mike was a VP of the company. I once bought a Datsun 260Z from him, many years ago.

Lately I tasted a lovely white wine from Chile I believe (I prefer red - but loved this one) called something Santa Rita. Unfortunately drank too much to remember the exact name!(we were at a farewell of a collegue) Tried looking for it at a couple of shops - no luck yet! Any one has an idea what I'm talking about?

Lately I tasted a lovely white wine from Chile I believe (I prefer red - but loved this one) called something Santa Rita. Unfortunately drank too much to remember the exact name!(we were at a farewell of a collegue) Tried looking for it at a couple of shops - no luck yet! Any one has an idea what I'm talking about?

Santa Rita makes a number of white wines in addition to their reds whcih are pretty good. Any idea on which type it was.... :lol:.....a Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, or some other white varietal.