Everything Wine

Is there anyone interested in discussing wine on the forum. Please post anything regarding wine.

I have tasted 3 Spanish white wines recently, all bought at the World Market store in Virginia, USA:

Nora - $13.99

Las Brisas - $9.99

Marques de Caceres Rioja (White) - $6.99

They were all very good and I will buy them all again. I preferred them though in the order I listed them. In these cases the better wine was the most expensive.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a lovely Morrisons (supermarket down the road) who for the more financially astute (mean) among us (me) do a half price offer every month, at present am drinking Ryecroft Chardonnay which is yum (and reduced)

Not really tasted Spanish wine, love South American and Aussie whites mainly. Chilean wine is lovely imo.

Don't know a great deal, just drink a lot!!

I have a lot of Spanish friends who bring me lots of food and wine when they come to visit. I end up living on manchego, turron and rioja for a week after they go (no hardship!) :D

Sarahrob, you can't get away that easy. You need to tell us what type of Rioja and a little more detail.

great topic muggle not!! :D

You still owe an answer between the 2 whites from Portugal, am patiently waiting, like heck I am. :lol:

I didn't forget ya Muggle...I was going to open that bottle for my birthday, but I just didn't...I will open it tonite and PROMISE to have a report back to you.....I will even post it in three different locations so you couldn't possibly miss it :wink:

ok Muggle.....the vinho verde is my fave...hands down....the grao vasco was kinda dry, and a stronger taste....the verde is a bit fruitier....and fizzy....and while it goes good with seafood..it would be wonderful with a simple salad or something light...especially on a hot day :D (like today! )let me know if you want the links again...although I left them at 'other' places :D

Wow, thanks sofia. i took your info and did a search at Calvert Woodley in Wash, DC and found it. Looks to be a great buy. This from CW:

NV Quinta da Aveleda Avelada Vinho Verde

what more can you expect for $6

This is a great white wine to serve when you have friends over who don't particulary like wine. It's got a little fizz to it, which is intentional as I understand it, and it's light and crisp. Dry, but with tart fruit flavors. And with a $6 price tag, it's about the best I've found in that price range. If you don't open it expecting too much then you might even be pleasantly surprised.

Sarahrob, you can't get away that easy. You need to tell us what type of Rioja and a little more detail.

I have no clue... :oops: I thought it was good that I recognised it as rioja! What can I say: I normally drink alcopops (told you I was classy :D )

The one bottle I have left from last time is Ramon Bilbao Tinto Rioja Reserva 1994. I have no more info than that (but I'll know what it tastes like on saturday - hurrah! :wink: )

My friends and I really like Rivercrest - the white and the rose that they do (drink a lot of rose, we do!). Its Australian (I think!), although if there is no Rivercrest I will tend to choose a German wine (Mosel region brings back good holiday memories!) or Californian.

Rivercrest is often in the 3 bottles for

Sofia, I was looking forward to having a bottle of the Avelada Vinho Verde with dinner last night, we had Wild King Salmon, but the World Market store did not have the wine. Where did you buy the wine. I really want to try a bottle.

Sarahrob, Classy is drinking what you enjoy. :D

Sugar, do you mean the Riesling's from that region of Germany? My wife loves the German Rieslings.

I know absolutely nothing about wine, but a friend of mine did a wine tasting course a few years back & really enjoyed it. Now, whenever he visits, he brings a really nice bottle each of red, white & rose (I can't drink red, but I like the other 2) to try.

Muggle Not - The reislings, and also the Piersporters from that part of germany are very drinkeable - and much nicer than the liebfraumilch!

Kell - I have just been teaching myself about different wines, by reading the labels on the shelves in the supermarket, and also the bottles. I now know that i hate Chardonnay, but love semillon and chenin grapes. The free supermarket mags often have a wine feature too, that give lots of interesting facts that explain why I like / dislike certain flavours.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ok....here is my ill-fated attempt at reviving this thread....today I have been drinking a "few" glasses of Almaden Blush Chablis"....yes, it's wine-in-a-box. One of the best inventions if you ask me! Ok, maybe a bit more than a "few" glasses :oops:

ok....here is my ill-fated attempt at reviving this thread....today I have been drinking a "few" glasses of Almaden Blush Chablis"....yes, it's wine-in-a-box. One of the best inventions if you ask me! Ok, maybe a bit more than a "few" glasses :oops:

I can never get into wine boxes. I get bored of the same wine unless i really like it! Have recently had a wine crate which was 24 bottles of different wines which worked out at about