The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

RCee

I started this a couple of days ago and actually had a chance to sit and read today. It has started out very intriguing and I am sure it is going to be a highlight read of the year.

This is Waterstones synopsis:

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared off the secluded island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger family. There was no corpse, no witnesses, no evidence. But her uncle, Henrik, is convinced that she was murdered by someone in her own family - the deeply dysfunctional Vanger clan. Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomqvist is hired to investigate, but when he links Harriet's disappearance to a string of gruesome murders from forty years ago, he needs a competent assistant - and he gets one: computer hacker Lisbeth Salander - a tattoed, truculent, angry girl who rides a motorbike like a Hell's Angel and handles makeshift weapons with the skill born of remorseless rage. This unlikely pair form a fragile bond as they delve into the sinister past of this island-bound, tightly-knit family. But the Vangers are a secretive lot, and Mikael and Lisbeth are about to find out just how far they're prepared to go to protect themselves - and each other.

Also, amazon have it on special if anyone is thinking of buying it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Stieg-Larsson/dp/1847245455/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248035701&sr=1-1

The one thing that took some time to figure out were the chapter references. For instance:

Chapter 4

Monday, 23.xii - Thursday 26.xii

It refers to Monday 23 Dec - Thursday 26 December. I think I must be getting old because that only occured to me after about 120 odd pages and it was driving me nuts!:lol:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant decide whether i should look into this book or not. it seems interesting and all but... i have so many other books waiting for me. Is this a book i should invest my money in, or borrow at the library or just not read? please give me some opinions about this book =)

I have this waiting on my bookshelf but I keep on passing by it everytime I need a new book for some reason. Let me know what you think of it as I will have to try to make a start on it soon, I've had it for months now :lol:

That's my situation exactly with this book. It just never appeals when it comes around to choosing my next book.

i cant decide whether i should look into this book or not. it seems interesting and all but... i have so many other books waiting for me. Is this a book i should invest my money in, or borrow at the library or just not read? please give me some opinions about this book =)

That is the problem i had! In the end i just went out and bought it and so far (310 pages in) i haven't regretted my decision.

In my opinion its well worth a read.

That's my situation exactly with this book. It just never appeals when it comes around to choosing my next book.

LOL, same here.

I am definately going to give it a read in the not too distant future though. I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I keep seeing it when I go to the airport WHsmiths I pick it up everytime but then I decide that I am not in the mood for that and always put it back but by the sounds of it I might by it next time I fly, if not wait until I found it in the village.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo and have just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire.The first book was excellent,but the second one was so good I almost forgot to breath some times it was so tense.If you fancy reading this author(Stieg Larsson)you need to read the books in order.:D

I've just finished this book and it was a book that I didn't want to end - hence me putting in my order for the next book in the series the moment I finished! I thought Lisbeth Salander was a fantastic main character and it makes a chance for a book to have such a vulnerable heroine.

If the new book comes tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the V Festival with me :lol:

I really want to get hold of this one. Another mental note to self to get a hold of it as soon as possible. Certainly sounds right up my street. :D

I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo earlier this month, it was brilliant, I have the next one to read as soon as I finish my present read. If the excerpt at the end is any indication of the second novel, it'll be even better.

I can hardly wait. :lol::readingtwo:

Have just started The Girl Who Played With Fire and I love it already! The line "she ran out of patience and hit him over the head with a brick" perfectly sums up the Lisbeth we came to know and love in the first book... Can't wait to get home to read more :D