The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

RCee

I really hated this book for some reason. I don't know normally I like this type of thing but the characters drove me mad and I really hated the plot. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me because I don't think I have ever heard a person say something bad about this book. Maybe it just wasn't my taste I don't know. To be fair I only read it because everyone was raving about it.

It;s not just you. I didn't hate it but I wasn't very impressed, I don't get the hype about it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a few days ago. I thought it was excellent, and grabbed the dvd yesterday. The film's good too, although more of a companion piece for my money. In fact if you haven't read the book it might be a little confusing at times as the film makers hit 'fast-forward' to cram the 800 page plot into a 2 hour film. The female character Salander is a very original creation, and I think she elevates the novel above other good crime novels.

I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo a few days ago. I thought it was excellent, and grabbed the dvd yesterday. The film's good too, although more of a companion piece for my money. In fact if you haven't read the book it might be a little confusing at times as the film makers hit 'fast-forward' to cram the 800 page plot into a 2 hour film. The female character Salander is a very original creation, and I think she elevates the novel above other good crime novels.

I think you've hit the nail on the head re Salander's character. For me, the book didn't really grab me until she became a major part of it. I'd have to say that is why the 2nd and 3rd are better to me. She is in all or most of them.

I know this is going to sound sexist but I wonder if this is more appealing to men than women> But maybe it just does appeal to different people whic, has been said before, is not a bad thing or even surprising!

I think it has a great crime plot. I think anyone who appreciates a great crime novel will enjoy it, be it male or female. I'll certainly be aiming to elevate the 'detective' aspects of my next novel after reading this gold standard book.

• 3 months later...

I usually read books and watch films after. But this time I watched the 3 films before I read 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'. I am usual a slow careful reader, but this book I just couldn't put down: it's the fastest I have read a book for years; and what a fantastic,complex,intriguing thriller it was too. Brilliant.

I'm reading the the second book in the series, and finding it a struggle. I started the series after hearing all the hype, but just don't get the fascination. I find Lisbeth to be quite irritating, and more like caricature, rather than a character anyone can relate to. As far as the storyline goes, I just found it to be extremely run-of-the-mill. I do wonder if these books would have been as popular, if the author hadn't passed away. :huh:

bobblybear

I'm with you there, Bobblybear - I just don't get it. I gave up on the 1st one half way through after having figured out the "mystery" within the first few pages and finding Icouldn't find a single character to like or with whom to identify.

Finished the first book last night. I really enjoyed it. I was worried going in that it might be over-hyped, but I have to say that it lived up to its publicity for me. A lot of thrillers/crime novels I've read lately are written in what I call "Dan Brown" style - I.e very fast paced with lots of chapters about a paragraph long, so it was a change to read a book that forced me to read slowly.

Admittedly, the first part of the book is the hardest to get through. But I found once I was past the first 50 pages or so, the rest just flew by and I really didn't want to put it down. I'm now forcing myself to take a days break before starting the second!

Ian

I loved the book as well, Ian, and am looking forward to one day reading the second installment. I also just saw the film which I thought was excellent. I now really can't wait to see what Fincher does to it for his version! :D

I really enjoyed the last 200 pages, but it was a hell of a trudge. I'll read the next episode but I'm in no hurry. I still can't see what all the fuss is about.

I hope he got some free Apple computer stuff, he certainly gave them enough advertising!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first book around the middle of last year and still haven't read the other two. It's not that I didn't enjoy it - I really did - but other authors (*cough*Nesbo*cough*) are far better, imo.

I did buy the second and third books for £2.44 each for the Kindle yesterday, though, so I will get to them at some point soon :)

Actually I was surprised at some of the derogatory remarks made by the article's author. And...while I agree with some of them, it didn't stop me from enjoying the stories. I do feel I'll do a reread someday, and perhaps I'll be more equipped to analyze the flaws. For me, the first reading of this type of book is almost a race...I have to know What Happens, and I'm sure I miss details. So a reread will give me those details, and probably I'll be better able to see the faults.

• 1 month later...

I loved all three of Stig Larssons books. My favourite was the second, if I had to choose one.

I thought the heroin was very original and well painted ( described) and even though she isnt a person that you would warm to , came across as vulnerable and real.

What a shame Stig is no longer here, I would have loved to read more of his work.

I finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a few days ago and am now reading The Girl Who played with Fire.

Normally I find that some books are so overhyped that I just end up finding them just OK however I found this fantastic. I had no trouble getting into it and found myself so absorbed I couldn't put it down - am looking forward to getting more into the second one now.

Edited by Lefty_UK

I have a copy but I have still to read it, is it worth a read? :)

I think it depends on the person. I started it a little over a week ago and just haven't been able to get into the story... but then again, quite a few people on here and elsewhere absolutely love the story and have no problem connecting with the characters.