The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

RCee

Fincher is a genius! I might've known you were a fan, Mac. Fincher directing means an automatic must-see for me ;).

Totally agree. Amazing chap. Got all of his films.

Carey Mulligan was in 'An Education,' right? I loved her in that.

C'est vrai, lady. As I say, she's proper bo! :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant believe there is going to be a Hollywood version. Juliette Lewis would make a good Lisbeth imo.

They stopped filming a music video she was doing once because they thought she was really having a breakdown.

IDK about Juliette Lewis.. I like her in other things, she just doesn't seem dark enough for me.

By luck I saw that the Swedish version of the film was playing close by and was leaving soon. Took off work :D (shhhhh!) and went to see it. Fabulous. The actress who played Lisbeth was superb; so like how I imagined her. It is so refreshing to see a European style film without all the Hollywood tinsel. The film itself was thrilling and the suspense wonderfully done. Whoever composed the music to it did a spectacular job. I would suggest to read the book first as not all of the backstories can be presented in the film. I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommended it.

I am now on the third and final ;) book. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Just finished this book today and i was very impressed-a great plot, unforgettable characters and a central mystery that messed with your mind, a very satisfying ending, too. At first i was a bit overwhelmed by all the different members of the Vanger family and had trouble keeping up with who lived where and who was related to who but the book changed pace, almost Dan-Brown-style halfway through and the 2 separate plot streams came together seamlessly and i couldnt put the book down until the last page.

Tomorrow i start Girl who Played with Fire.:D

SK, you are in for a treat. I just finished the last book of the Millenium Trilogy and I think it was the best of all three. All three are superb. I shall really miss Lisbeth - fantastic character. Such a pity there shall not be any more :D

SK, you are in for a treat. I just finished the last book of the Millenium Trilogy and I think it was the best of all three. All three are superb. I shall really miss Lisbeth - fantastic character. Such a pity there shall not be any more :D

Thanks! I am already a few chapters into the next book and im liking the story already, i agree that Salander is a unique and fresh heroine and Larsson made a great impact with his her and Blomkvist, shame he died before he could see the impact his novles had.

SK, you are in for a treat. I just finished the last book of the Millenium Trilogy and I think it was the best of all three. All three are superb. I shall really miss Lisbeth - fantastic character. Such a pity there shall not be any more :confused:

Thanks! I am already a few chapters into the next book and im liking the story already, i agree that Salander is a unique and fresh heroine and Larsson made a great impact with his her and Blomkvist, shame he died before he could see the impact his novles had.

I agree! I am missing Lisbeth, and would have loved another book! :D

I read 2 and 3, and really enjoyed both. One thing that I loved about these books is the insight to the Swedish way of life. :D

I've read the first and second books in this series - I find the first one takes a lot of getting used to, possibly due to the numerous names starting with the letter B, and the fact that the author refers to the characters with their surnames, which makes it more difficult to identify / remember IMO.

I think the second book is much stronger than the forst, possibly as I had also gotten used to his style of writing.

I'm looking forward to reading the third book :D

• 1 month later...

I loved this book! And I was completely surprised that I did. I never really intended to read it, but my boyfriend kept telling me that I should. It doesn't feel like a lot happens but it just keeps you glued to it nontheless. Very well written!

Definattely agree Greta - book 2 is the best for me as well - my next door neighbour has borrowed my copy and is reading it avidly. Can't wait for 2nd film - released Aug 27th I believe. That will another trip to Guildford then !

I finished the first book last night. I thought it was as good as the hype suggested, which really surprised me. I think my only (slight) issue with it was that I found a lot of the characters (excluding Lisbeth, obviously) a bit dry - in that they didn't seem to have distinct voices, and some of them seemed to be there just to give info dumps and then disappear. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of it, though.

The last line did make me laugh :lol:

I'm a big crime fiction fan but only just got round to reading this. The first few chapters were tricky as I don't tend to fall so easily into plots which involve corporate revenge and know very little about Sweden and its geography and customs. However, all worries soon faded away and I must say I loved it. I became very attached to the characters and have already bought the next two novels and have obtained all three films.

I just loved this series, right from the first one. I agree about the corporate stuff at the beginning that needed to be ploughed through a bit. I also loved the format. The short sections made it quite jerky and tense but it was possible to read as much or as little as you were able without feeling you were stopping in the middle of a section.

I have only seen the first film which I loved. It follows the main action of the book very closely and I also loved the actress who played Lisabeth. Difficult to see her being bettered by a Hollywood actress.

Have to admit the I will always prefer the swedish subbed films to the hollywood version mainly because they were financed by yellow bird who also created Wallander as well (which was an amazing series).

In my opinion the danger with the Hollywood version is the possibility that the relationship between Blomkvist and Salander will be hollywood-ised and have all the subtlety removed. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

You will not be disappointed, Emm. It's absolutely brilliant and I cannot wait for the third one to come out dammit!!!

I already have the third book and have done since the end of June I hope you get your hands on a copy soon. The first book has such a gripping storyline that hooked me in from the first page and was written in a very appealing style. I have not put it down and finished it this morning. I enjoyed it so much I have already read 100 pages of the second one!!

Everyonewho has it on their bookshelf should pick it up, dust it off and read it as soon as possible.

:readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

Edited by randa23

• 3 weeks later...

I really hated this book for some reason. I don't know normally I like this type of thing but the characters drove me mad and I really hated the plot. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me because I don't think I have ever heard a person say something bad about this book. Maybe it just wasn't my taste I don't know. To be fair I only read it because everyone was raving about it.

I really hated this book for some reason. I don't know normally I like this type of thing but the characters drove me mad and I really hated the plot. I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with me because I don't think I have ever heard a person say something bad about this book. Maybe it just wasn't my taste I don't know. To be fair I only read it because everyone was raving about it.

It is not just you Jess. I could not get in to this at all and gave up two thirds of the way through the first book but I guess if we all liked the same books there would not be much to choose from.

I'm reading this book, Jess, and am not enjoying it. I'm only half-way through it so may change my mind but, at the moment, I'm only sticking with it because I'm reading it with my book club