FICTION

The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud - Ben Sherwood - 6/10

Small Island - Andrea Levy - 7/10

These Foolish Things - Deborah Moggach - 6/10

The First Casualty - Ben Elton 7

Edited by Janet
Updated list

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I need to rethink how this thing works. I don't have any replies so it's nearly on page 2! Perhaps I update here when I've finished a book, as well as in the review thread? Is that what you do to keep it on page 1?

Anyway, I've just finished We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver.

I enjoyed it - need to think about what I'm going to say about it now!

Ooh, I'll be reading We Need to Talk About Kevin next (it's the Posh Club book for this month) & have been looking forward to it anyway, but now I shall look forward to it even more, since you enjoyed it so much. :(

And on the idea of little updates as you read - I LOVE to hear what people think of bokos as they read them! :)

Ooh, I'll be reading We Need to Talk About Kevin next (it's the Posh Club book for this month) & have been looking forward to it anyway, but now I shall look forward to it even more, since you enjoyed it so much. :(

All I will say is that it took me until about page 60 or so to really get into it, but once I did, I flew through it. :)

• 1 month later...

I've done a review of this in the relevant section, so this post is just to 'bump' my thread really as it's nearly on page 2 again!

I've recently read gods In Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson, which I really enjoyed. I thought it was fantastic for a debut novel.

I noticed last Friday that she has a second book out in paperback, which I might have to buy with my Waterstones gift voucher!

I'm just about to start The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, which is my September book for my 'real life' bookworms group. I don't think I'd have picked this to read - which I guess is the good thing about reading groups!

• 2 weeks later...

Can I ask what your grade for Gentlemen & Players? I have it and would love to hear how you got on with it

I really enjoyed it - I gave it a 9/10 too, I think. I've read Chocolat, Five Quarters of the Orange and Blackberry Wine, and enjoyed them, but this was very different, and quite possibly my favourite of her books so far. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This book won the Nobel Prize for Literature, and it also won the Booker prize in 1971. Normally I’d steer well clear of prize winners such as this, but this book is our November bookworms read - we’re discussing it tonight!

On the front cover, it reads “IN A FREE STATE. A NOVEL with two supporting narratives”. There is also an epilogue and a prologue, which are taken from Naipaul’s own travel journals.

The themes in this book are exile, freedom and prejudice.

The paperback is 246 pages long and is published by Picador. The ISBN number is 0330487051.

Whilst it wasn’t the most exciting book I’ve ever read, I did quite enjoy it. It’s not something I’d have picked up if it wasn’t a Bookworms choice.

4½/10

(Read October 2006)

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished The Secret River by Kate Grenville.

I have been researching my family tree, and have got back to the early 1800s on many branches of my family (and as far back as a 1775 birthdate on one relative!), so when I spotted this book in Tesco, it seemed like fate, as the story is set around that time, and although I haven

I've just finished Wise Children by Angela Carter.

It’s not the best book I've ever read, but it was quite amusing and got better towards the end. I think it'll give way to some good discussion at college. This is one of our set texts for AS Level English, and will be in our exam in May (so I guess I’ll be reading it more than once…!).

The paperback is 232 pages long and is published by Vintage Books. The ISBN number is 978-0-099-981107.

5½/10

(Read November 2006)

I've now started The Christmas Mystery by Jostein Gardeer, which is my real-life bookworms December read.