Any Human Heart by William Boyd

Janet

036-2009-July-11-AnyHumanHeart.jpg

Any Human Heart by William Boyd

The ‘blurb’

Every life is both ordinary and extraordinary, but Logan Mountstuart’s - lived from the beginning to the end of the twentieth century - contains more than its fair share of both. As a writer who finds inspiration in Paris and London, as a spy betrayed in the war and as an art-dealer in ‘60s New York, Logan mixes with the movers and shakers of his times. But as a son, friend, lover and husband, he makes the same mistakes we all do in our search for happiness. Here, then, is the story of a life lived to the full - and a journey deep into a very human heart.

Written in diary style, this novel tells of one man’s life lived through the twentieth century and it’s tricky to write what it’s actually about since the story covers such a long period of time. It contains lots of name-dropping (Edward and Mrs Simpson, Ian Fleming, Ernest Hemingway, to name but a few…) which helps to add to the biographical feel of it.

The protagonist, Logan, is not really a very likeable person. He has few redeeming features, yet despite this I still found his story compelling and still wanted to know more. And even though he’s a philanderer he’s written in such a way that I still managed to like him! Despite his philandering ways, he does have people to whom he’s fiercely loyal, which I think helps to give the character balance.

Usually when I’m at work, I sing (in my head - yes, I’m aware I’m strange!) or think of banal day-to-day stuff but at work at the weekend I couldn’t stop thinking of Logan’s adventures and couldn’t wait to get back to them, which to me is a sign of a good book!

The paperback is 490 pages long and is published by Penguin. The ISBN number is 978-0141009285.

I read this book with my reading group, and I was the only one who thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the others were ambivalent, but I remember being unable to put it down. I loved the diary format, although it does tempt you to keep reading ("I'll just read one more day ...").

I've also read Restless which I liked even more, and keep meaning to pick up some more books by this author.

My interest was aroused by your review, but I was completely sold when I read this paragraph! Definitely the sign of a good book. I too am a in-my-head singer! :icon_eek:

Goodo, although *gulp* - I always worry when people say they're going to buy something I've liked in case they hate it!

CB - I liked the diary form - and it does make one keep reading "a bit more!".

I must check out some of his other books.

Edited by Janet