Will Self.

Guest cda

I recently finished Dr Mukti and Other Tales of Woe. It'd been sitting on my tbr pile for some time, and I think I was put off reading it because I didn't enjoy How the Dead Live, which was the last of his I read. Shouldn't have worried though, as I found it perfectly twisted and grimy.

Anyone else here like Self?

Yes and no. I picked up How the Dead Live off a friend who couldn't get through it, with few expectations, and really liked it. That was my first Self in a while, after I had previously got through a string of his earlier stuff - Quantity Theory of Insanity, Cock & Bull, My Idea of Fun, Grey Area - with slowly declining enjoyment. I have Great Apes at home but haven't bothered with it. Dorian is supposed to be good though. Any takers for The Book of Dave?

I'll be getting The Book of Dave. Dorian's OK, but drags a bit. Great Apes I thought was an amusing bit of twistyness. Is that a word? It is in this post anyhow.

Haven't read any full novels but have come across one or two short stories (as Dr Mukti... is?), and read his PsychoGeography in the Independent, which is quite interesting.

Yes - Mukti is shorts. However, the first story is more of a novella.

I love to see interviews with Will Self. In person I think he is charming, witty and enormously original.

I tried to read Grey Area and hated it from the start. It just seemed so pretentious and self-important that I didn't even get through the first story. I was so disappointed that the man I so admired could have written such a book! :grr:

One of my friends has offered to lend me Cock and Bull, but I've not yet taken him up on the offer. What if I hated that as much as Grey Area? At the moment I've still got a smidgen of a soft spot left for the guy - if I forced myself to read another book like Grey Area I could see myself growing to hate him!

Anyone got any views on Cock and Bull?

I know what you mean, Sarahrob. Self is much more likeable and amusing in person or in interview than he can be on the page. As I mentioned above, it was Grey Area which finally ground me to a halt with his stuff (though there was some stuff I liked in it, like the story Scale).

Having said that, Cock & Bull is definitely his most accessible and entertaining. I would recommend it, far more enjoyable than Grey Area. (Or the first part of the first story anyway :wink: )

At the same time, even when he's not at his most entertaining, there's always a bracing cleverness to his writing. To me, it's nice to feel that sort of infusion of intelligence from above, knowing the author is much cleverer than I could ever hope to be.

My Idea Of Fun was quite good, although felt very derivative - if you tried to write a Martin Amis book with Irving Welsh's attitude, it's where you'd end up. I tried the short stories (can't remember what they were called) and found it was more of almost exactly the same, which doesn't work if your trick is to shock.

• 1 year later...

There is no mention of this literary genius on this site so I'm presuming that nobody has heard of him. Check him out if you like a surreal read (he has a Novella -A **** an' Bull Story- about a woman who grows a penis an' rapes her husband, and a man who grows a vagina in his knee-pit an' is seduced by his Dr.).

I recommend also 'Book of Dave','Great Apes' & 'My Idea of Fun'.

p.s. keep a Dictionary by your bed for Mr. Self.

I enjoy reading his journalism, but when I read My Idea Of Fun, and a collection of short stories whose name I forget, it felt a bit too much like he was deliberately trying to shock, as a toadying acolyte of Marint Amis and Irving Welsh and Brett Easton Ellis.

Which was frustrating, as the writing was good and the ideas fascinating, if a bit unpleasant. It all felt a bit like reading SF, though. It was all about the idea, and not about the characters. It's setting entire novels on the basis of cleverness, rather than being about people.