The Prophet by Jubran Khalil Jubran

Shehadeh

The Prophet is a book of 26 poetic essays written in English in 1923 by the Lebanese-American artist, philosopher and writer Jubran Khalil Jubran. In the book, the prophet Al-mustafa who has lived in the foreign city of Orphalese for 12 years is about to board a ship which will carry him home. He is stopped by a group of people, with whom he discusses many issues of life and the human condition. The book is divided into chapters dealing with love, marriage, children, giving, eating and drinking, work, joy and sorrow, houses, clothes, buying and selling, crime and punishment, laws, freedom, reason and passion, pain, self-knowledge, teaching, friendship, talking, time, good and evil, prayer, pleasure, beauty, religion, and death. The book, Jubran's best known work, was followed by The Garden of The Prophet (published posthumously in 1933).

I, personally, read the Arabic translation of The Prophet (my native tongue) and longing to read it in its original language-English.

Who read this book?

That would be interesting. Well, that quote is one of few quotes that stuck with me. I'm new to this nice forum and registered here because I want to start reading books in English language (novels in particular) because I have read few books in politics and history and would like to try something else. Jubran in extraordinary!!

If you post in the "Looking for a Book" section giving details of what kind of novel you're after (sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, realistic, etc.) the forum shall brainstorm and do its best to suggest titles you might enjoy :lol: we are quite a helpful bunch, really.