Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Weave

I really enjoyed this book - Oskar is such a sweet kid and I love his friendship with Eli.

I did make the mistake of watching the film straight afterwards though which I shouldn't have - I should have waited a while as I ruined my enjoyment of the film by being so critical of it.

:ditto: on both accounts.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant book! The film just annoyed me because they left so much out, both versions :irked:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked this book. I also enjoyed the original film. I did feel that it didn't quite capture the uniquely chilling and strange atmosphere that made the book special. To be honest, I can't help but feel that an American remake will take away even more of that.

I've read this book about a month back, and I agree that some parts were a bit disturbing, but I still found it an enjoyable and interesting read. I really like the horror/vampire genre of books, but this was different from anything I'd read before a real page turner!

My wife and I watched the Swedish version of the film about 10 days ago. We quite enjoyed it but from reading all the posts here (including spoilers) it sounds like the book is very much richer. I will put it on my list.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished this book yesterday and oh my gosh what a fantastic read! I don't think I'll watch the film, as I really loved the book which I would never normally read, but picked it up for 50p in a charity shop. I don't normally read horror but man it gripped me from start to finish.

All the way through I really felt for Oskar and I was so proud when he got his own back on the bullies! Believable characters that I felt for all the way through, and really well written :) I felt mostly for Oskar as I can remember when I was 11 and starting a new school, I was bullied quite a lot so it made it all that personal to me, and I love it when I can really connect with a character in a good book. Hakan was the most disturbing character by far, however I do feel sorry for him in the fact that he probably had a rubbish life before he met Eli.

The only thing I wish that there was more of, is Eli's past in the book that she showed to Oskar a few times. I would have been really interested in how she became a vampire etc..

Great review :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow, I didn't know this was a book too. I've watched the film and thoughly enjoyed it but I know books are majority of the time better than the films. I'm adding this to my reading list :)

thank you. :)

• 3 months later...

Loved the original film and I thought for once the american remake was actually well made and stuck to the original principles of the original.....havent read the book yet but I def will at some stage.

I did read handling the dead tho and to be honest I wasnt overly impressed by it.

• 2 years later...

I FINALLY got around to reading this wonderful book. My review was vague, as saying too much would spoil the developments in the plot. It is only in retrospect that I fully appreciate the depth of this book, and the multitude of layers that thickened the story. 

A dark and disturbing story that centres on the developing relationship between two lonely souls, the bullied Oskar and the odd Eli. Graphic and disturbing at times this is not a comfortable read, but you end up caring deeply for the two. The secondary characters bring life to the bleak Swedish landscape with their individual frailties and idiosyncrasies, and the relationships between them. This is a book that examines obsession, loyalty, abandonment, love and the dark underbelly that can be found in any country. Despite murders, aggression, confrontations and often very dark scenes, this is a startlingly good read, with surprising wit and an undercurrent that compels you to find out how things will unfold.

• 4 weeks later...